Help support TMP


"Is cured epoxy resin still toxic?" Topic


11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.


Back to the Wargaming in General Message Board


2,951 hits since 18 Jul 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Black Cavalier Supporting Member of TMP18 Jul 2009 8:06 p.m. PST

Are epoxy resins toxic even after they cure? I know you're supposed to use gloves &/or wash your hands with working with them, but once cured, are they safe for continual contact with skin? The rubber cover on my nasal pad on my glasses got torn off, so the pad internal metal base is poking me in the nose. I thought it would be easy to remold the missing piece since the resin would be easily shaped, but worry about any toxicness.

Personal logo Ivan DBA Supporting Member of TMP18 Jul 2009 10:58 p.m. PST

I think you can buy eye glasses repair kits, and relace it with actual padding. That would be far more comfortable, and certainly non-toxic.

Griefbringer18 Jul 2009 11:40 p.m. PST

For the nasal pad of eye-glasses, you really want the elasticity of the rubber, rather than a piece of hard resin.

Also, you can have the nasal pads relatively cheaply replaced at the stores selling eye-glasses – I have done it with mine, and it was fast and easy.

fairoaks02419 Jul 2009 1:24 a.m. PST

BC,

if you want to go down that route, you should be fine,
I repaired an earpiece with epoxy resin, i wear it some times for 6-8 hours a day and have had no adverse effect.

regards

jim

Personal logo Klebert L Hall Supporting Member of TMP19 Jul 2009 7:52 a.m. PST

Not so toxic that I'd worry about skin contact. I wouldn't grind it up and sprinkle it on my cereal every morning, though.

You might try making a new one out of the various RTV silicones, might be comfier.
-Kle.

Fire at Will19 Jul 2009 8:00 a.m. PST

Every single tin can used for food and drink has epoxy resin coating. Typically, golden colour = solvent based, white = water based.

criticalmassgames Sponsoring Member of TMP19 Jul 2009 3:31 p.m. PST

Take your glasses to the optician and get them replaced Specsavers did mine for free!

Personal logo Black Cavalier Supporting Member of TMP19 Jul 2009 7:15 p.m. PST

thanks all, dont know why i didnt even thing of replacing the whole thing.

Farstar Inactive Member20 Jul 2009 10:33 a.m. PST

In most cases cured resin is not skin-contact toxic. Some of the substances used as extenders, however…

Black Bull20 Jul 2009 3:38 p.m. PST

Uncured resin isn't toxic, it is hazardous and it may give you an allergic reaction that you really don't want (been there still got the skin problem) but its not toxic.

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member21 Jul 2009 8:25 a.m. PST

Hey Nils,
Take them over to Costco. In the past, they have done mine for free…

beer

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.