Help support TMP

"Looking for Airbrushing advice for WWII Armor" Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Painting Message Board

1,915 hits since 13 Jul 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

vogless13 Jul 2009 5:54 a.m. PST

I generally use Vallejo Air paints in my airbrush. I'd like to have a go at some 28mm US WWII Armor.

I was going to go with Vallejo's Olive Drab. I've been told Duck Egg Green could be used as a highlight. Just wondering what others are using and how you like it….

Palafox Inactive Member13 Jul 2009 6:01 a.m. PST

Personally I use 80-90% Tamiya Olive green (XF-58) with 10-20% Tamiya Dark Yellow (XF-60) with a bit of Tamiya Clear X-22 as the Tamiya paints tend to be a little satin. For highlights I simply mix more Dark Yellow.

vogless13 Jul 2009 6:04 a.m. PST

Palafox, how do you like the Tamiya vs Vallejo?

Good point. I keep forgetting to mix paints in the brush instead of buying the proper paint. I'll have to play with that mix. Thanks!

Palafox Inactive Member13 Jul 2009 6:14 a.m. PST

I prefer them because I find them more suitable for the airbrush, I think the pigment is smaller so the paint never clogs and the finish is smoother. Vallejo air also works well but I had to mix it with alcohol rather than with Tamiya thinner which is the one I always use.

Just IMHO, of course.

Personal logo Wyatt the Odd Supporting Member of TMP Fezian13 Jul 2009 7:21 a.m. PST

I use Testors ModelMaster Olive Drab for American vehicles. They have a Faded Olive Drab as well that I've lightly sprayed from the vertical to replicate lighting, but I mostly use it on the canvas parts. I drybrush with khaki (GW or ModelMaster).

After that, I seal with gloss (airbrush or spraycan), apply decals, ink wash and weathering and then dullcoat (usually spraycan).

Wyatt

KnightTemplarr13 Jul 2009 8:24 a.m. PST

I use the tamiya Olive Drab and then the same finishing techniques as Wyatt.

Garand13 Jul 2009 9:03 a.m. PST

I use Polly Scale Olive Drab, which is a very good match for the 37mm shell my grandfather brought back from WWII…

Damon.

intobattle Inactive Member13 Jul 2009 7:05 p.m. PST

I use Vallejo Brown Violet (887) which is also what Battlefront suggests for their FOW miniatures; I agree and think it looks good. Here are a couple of examples of how it turned out in both 6mm and 15mm:

6mm, with a little Vallejo white added for scale:
link

15mm:
link

Hope that helps,
Tanner

coopman13 Jul 2009 7:30 p.m. PST

Tanner,

That is some beautiful work you've done there.

Regards,
Clay

Blind Old Hag Fezian Inactive Member13 Jul 2009 8:54 p.m. PST

The he*l those are 6mm, WOWSER! The detail on those vehicles is much better than I recall and the painting is very good too!

Nice effect on Bruiser. Howd you do that?

vogless14 Jul 2009 5:33 a.m. PST

OUTSTANDING work, Tanner!

So,let me get this straight, you used Violet Brown,then added White for the highlight? Or, the base coat was Violet Brown with White to lighten it up.

How'd you get that streaky look?

intobattle Inactive Member14 Jul 2009 9:27 a.m. PST

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind feedback :)

For the microarmour I added white to the Violet Brown to lighten the base color (I don't recall the exact proportions but it was probably about 3:1, VB:W. I then added a wash and then drybrushed again with most likely 2:1. Sorry, I don't remember exactly as it's been probably a year since I painted these.

For the 15mm Shermans I used straight Violet Brown for the basecoat and then airbrushed on lightened VB for the faded look.

For Bruiser I used highly diluted Tamiya earth tone acrylic and then just brushed the streaks down the side of the tank. For the chipping I painted on Vallejo German Bright Green Camo and then painted over those chips with Vallejo German Dark Brown Camo, leaving the green edges showing.

Hope that helps Vogless, let me know if you have more questions.

Tanner

The Inquisitor Inactive Member20 Sep 2009 2:30 p.m. PST

Nice!

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP21 Sep 2009 4:36 a.m. PST

If you do use Tamiya paints for airbrush work, and they do airbrush nicely, use their LACQUER THINNER (with the yellow cap) instead of their acrylic thinner. This was a tip I picked up from the 1/35 scale armor folks and really does make a big difference. Paint flow is greatly improved. Just make sure you spray with lots of ventilation and you might even consider a respirator.

Marc the plastics fan21 Sep 2009 6:53 a.m. PST

Good suggestions all round there. However, I would prefer to use Vallejo Air colours (bit sensitive to thinners), so anybody achieved good results with these? Any good colour suggestions for US and German armour (or links to threads, books etc).

Many thanks

Luisito21 Sep 2009 6:34 p.m. PST

DELETED

Luisito21 Sep 2009 6:57 p.m. PST

I dont know for Model air but
Vallejo brown violet for US armor is a sure shot . add some distilled water for thinning

For german tank:
Vallejo model air 031 Middlestone for base color
Vallejo model air 041 tank brown for red brown camo
Vallejo model air 019 dark green for green camo

I used the vallejo conversion chart with my preferred Tamiya color XF 60 dark yellow, XF 58 Olive green and XF 64 Red brown . I used Vallejo Middlestone and its very good . I didnt try the others 2 but they should be ok

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.