Help support TMP

"Best Felix and Gotrek Book?" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Media Message Board

Action Log

05 Jan 2011 9:03 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from TMP Poll Suggestions board

Areas of Interest

Fantasy

3,436 hits since 15 Jun 2009
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Deucey15 Jun 2009 11:48 a.m. PST

How would you all rank the various books in the Felix and Gotrek series?

Personally I liked Skavenslayer the best. Funny and very entertaining, though still packed with carnage.

I put Demonslayer and Dragonslayer next. I like the addition of the companions.

Vampireslayer was next. The companions are there but one disapears (sort of).

Trollslayer is good. It is really a group of short stories and I might actually rank it second.

Giantslayer is down on this list because I miss the companions.

I must confess that I never read any of the books that William King did not write. (Thats part of the reason for this topic: to see if they are worth reading!)

nazrat15 Jun 2009 12:07 p.m. PST

I'm in your boat-- I've not read any non-King books about the Slaughter Boys. The rest I enjoyed fairly equally, I guess, although if I were to pick one as a favorite it would be Skavenslayer, too. They are my other army for Fantasy after the Dwarves… 8)=

richarDISNEY15 Jun 2009 12:54 p.m. PST

Funny. I JUST finished listening to the "Slayer of the Storm God" audiobook, and Danny Web did a great job reading it.

Having never read any of the books, I might go off and take a look…

beer

Mathion15 Jun 2009 1:07 p.m. PST

Hmmmm.
I liked Manslayer and Elfslayer. Primarily because I thought William King was getting repetitive and the story was slowing down. Nathan Long, imho, breathed some new life into the series by advancing the story some years, highlighting the racial differences between Gotrek and Felix, and revisiting some older characters.
Cracking good story, too.

Matt

nazrat15 Jun 2009 2:20 p.m. PST

Good to hear, Matt! I wasn't really even aware that somebody else had taken the series over, but it's good to know that they aren't mucking it up.

AndrewGPaul15 Jun 2009 4:03 p.m. PST

My favourites are probably Vampireslayer and Dragonslayer.

Of Nathan Long's efforts, I thought Orcslayer and Elfslayer were a little weak (although Elfslayer did feature the return of a long-lost antagonist!). Orcslayer in particular had a not-very-Warhammer-y bad guy, IMO.

SBminisguy15 Jun 2009 6:36 p.m. PST

Skavenslayer, though I liked the Witchhunter series. If you like those, you should check out The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. Great dark fantasy.

link

Lee Brilleaux Fezian15 Jun 2009 7:19 p.m. PST

I'm not a fan of the series per se (I read one, and it was fine, but not my thing) but I am a fan of Bill King.

I spent a week holed up with him about ten years ago working on a project for F-F-Foundry that never made it to fruition. He's a terrific guy. He shared his philosophy of writing fiction with me; "Write 2000 words a day, whether you think it's good or not, no matter how long it takes. When you reads the finished manuscript you won't be able to tell the good days from the bad ones."

Four novels of my own later, I thank him for that advice.

Beowulf Fezian16 Jun 2009 6:12 a.m. PST

Skavenslayer. I agree that the last 2 books by King were getting repetitive. I haven't seen the other ones, but I'll probably pick them up.

Another Bill King series that I really liked was Space Wolf. Too bad it won't be finished.

Deucey16 Jun 2009 1:33 p.m. PST

Why won't it be finished? Is he dead?

Beowulf Fezian17 Jun 2009 10:38 a.m. PST

No, but as far as I know, he no longer works for GW.

J Womack 9418 Jun 2009 1:54 p.m. PST

I'm not sure which one was my favorite. Probably Skavenslayer. But I read most of them in the space of about two weeks, and so where one ends and the next begins is sort of running together for me off the top of my head.

Guess I need to go re-read them.

And thanks for the heads up on the series's continuation.

J Womack 9418 Jun 2009 1:54 p.m. PST

Anything titled Elfslayer can't be all bad.

richarDISNEY19 Jun 2009 12:54 p.m. PST

I gotta go with JWOMACK94 on that one…

beer

Toy Soldier Green17 Jul 2009 5:41 a.m. PST

Skavenslayer and Manslayer

Toy Soldier Green17 Jul 2009 5:42 a.m. PST

BTW, I named my two lab puppies, Gotrek & Felix.

Deucey01 Oct 2009 11:06 a.m. PST

What is Bill King writing now?

I read one his sci-fi Warhammer books but didn't like it that much.

Toy Soldier Green19 May 2010 8:09 a.m. PST

Skavenslayer & Manslayer

sauron80813 Nov 2012 4:35 a.m. PST

Skaven SLayer, Daemon Slayer, Dragon Slayer, Vampire and Giant slayer are all very good. I would agree that Skaven Slayer is probably the best of the King series.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.