Help support TMP

"MTB/MGB paint schemes" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Naval Painting Guides Message Board

987 hits since 8 May 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Sundance Supporting Member of TMP08 May 2009 10:32 a.m. PST

I've seen photos of Brit MTB/MGBs that are clearly light grey with the white counter-shading, but I've also seen a few that look distinctly like they have a camo paint job. I wasn't aware that Coastal Forces used camo patterns. Does anyone know if Coastal Forces used any camo patterns on the small craft? If so, what was/were the pattern(s)?

Much obliged

Guntruck08 May 2009 12:59 p.m. PST

While early-war boats tended to be overall grey, a range of camo patterns were gradually introduced, mostly different shades of light/dark grey.

If you can get it, I would recommend the book 'Warship Perspectives: Royal Navy Camouflage Vol 3'

link

which has a description of some of the schemes. Volume 4 of this series also shows that schemes were used in India/Burma, which were different to the craft in use in the North Sea and the Med.

The Squadron/Signal book on Vosper MTBs also has a couple of illustrations.

Top Gun Ace Inactive Member08 May 2009 1:23 p.m. PST

Early boats could be dark gray, medium gray, or light gray, overall. Decks could be the same gray, a dark gray, or a navy blue color.

One scheme is a very light gray/white, with a navy blue panel painted on the side. I have also seen this scheme with a sea green panel as well.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.