Help support TMP

"My blog for painting technique" Topic

29 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Medieval Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Australian Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Ancients Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Galleys Message Board

Back to the Ancients Gallery Message Board

Back to the ACW Gallery Message Board

Back to the Pre-Paint Preparation Message Board

Back to the Painting Services Message Board

Back to the Painting Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Painting Guides Message Board

3,805 hits since 21 Apr 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Defiant Inactive Member21 Apr 2009 6:56 p.m. PST

Hi all,

I just wanted to show you the progression of my own blog for my own painting style and figures. I am not a great blogger (still learning) but I hope you guys approve, I am trying to put up for anyone who wants it, the style and technique I use so anyone can copy it if they like the way I paint.

davout.blogspot.com

any help or suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Shane

aercdr Inactive Member21 Apr 2009 8:43 p.m. PST

A great blog and some great looking minis.

bluewillow21 Apr 2009 9:17 p.m. PST

great start shane

cheers
matt

donlowry21 Apr 2009 9:24 p.m. PST

You always do good work Shane. I envy your precision. You must have very steady hands (and a clear conscience).

377CSG Supporting Member of TMP21 Apr 2009 10:54 p.m. PST

Nice painting – I especially like the Highlanders – nice tartan work and dicing on the hats.

fairoaks024 Inactive Member22 Apr 2009 2:05 a.m. PST

good work fella!

regards

jim

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP22 Apr 2009 2:42 a.m. PST

nice to see Carabiniers on black horses

Rob UK Inactive Member22 Apr 2009 3:58 a.m. PST

Excellent site! Lovely brushwork

hussarbob1746.webs.com

nycjadie22 Apr 2009 4:56 a.m. PST

I love your style. It's very striking. I hope people appreciate the amount of work you put into them.

nycjadie.wordpress.com

Personal logo Ambush Alley Jim Supporting Member of TMP22 Apr 2009 7:28 a.m. PST

Love the style…wish I had the time to paint like that still.

beastgaming.wordpress.com

Palafox Inactive Member22 Apr 2009 12:29 p.m. PST

Good onya mate. Thanks a lot for sharing it, your style with 15mm is really good.

donlowry22 Apr 2009 12:42 p.m. PST

Since we're linking to our blogs, here's a link to my 15mm Napoleonics:
link

And here's a link to my painting-horses "tutorial":
link

Defiant Inactive Member22 Apr 2009 5:43 p.m. PST

Thank you all for your feedback, it is appreciated very much. I will be adding to it as I go so I hope some of you that are interested could give me some kind of direction or advice as to what topics I could place there. One suggestion was for pictures stage by stage for my painting style, that is a great idea and one I will indeed do.

Regards,
Shane

Personal logo ArchiducCharles Supporting Member of TMP22 Apr 2009 9:53 p.m. PST

Very nice Shane, lovely painting.

Clash of Empires link

nycjadie23 Apr 2009 8:21 a.m. PST

Shane, I'd love to see a step by step of your process. While my style is quite different, I'm sure I could pick up a few tips and shortcuts.

Best,
Steve

nycjadie.wordpress.com

tshryock23 Apr 2009 10:35 a.m. PST

Awesome work. What brand/size brushes do you use for some of the smaller work?

Defiant Inactive Member24 Apr 2009 2:16 a.m. PST

Hi all,

I have added a few images of a Russian Grenadier to show the process of painting it up. The photos are not that great and I will replace them eventually but they will do for now.

fyi You can click on the photos and enlarge them 300% doing this will show all the detail that you would not get at normal eyesight distance. It is interesting to see that at that magnification the painting appears pretty poor.

The brushes I use are pretty much from 000 to 20/0 fine Taclon mainly.

Shane

Bob Faust of Strategic Elite Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member25 Apr 2009 9:30 p.m. PST

Looks good Shane. Keep a bloggin'! I'm still pretty new to it myself.

4sparta.blogspot.com

Most of my pix are toward the bottom. I only recently figured out how to insert them in the posts.

GiloUK27 Apr 2009 3:44 a.m. PST

Great blog there, Shane, and fantastic painting!

Best wishes

Giles

Lord Ashram27 Apr 2009 9:35 a.m. PST

Another House of War?! Oh no!

:)

Looks very nice, good start:)

link

Defiant Inactive Member28 Apr 2009 6:26 a.m. PST

Lol, aye mate, you may of started a trend with the, "House of War" logo….

thanks for the compliment.

Regards,
Shane

julianmizzi13 May 2009 5:05 p.m. PST

Shane ,

I must admit , I do keep an eye out for pics of your great figures.

Im envious of the piping you do on the collars , how the hell do you manage sharp ninety degree angles on those figures ?

Any pointers for chevrons ?

Defiant Inactive Member13 May 2009 9:24 p.m. PST

G'day Julian,

Thank you for your comments, that is great encouragement to put up more pictures for me.

With the piping and collars etc I use a little trick, I paint on the piping first with the finest brush I own, 20/0 then I paint on the body colour of the collars/cuffs after leaving a very fine black line between the colours. The trick is to not let the colours touch each other or the effect is ruined. Even the slightest touch will drop the value of the figure to naught.

With chevrons I do the same thing but being finer you are almost inclined to have to let the colours overlap each other unfortunately but the effect can still be great if done neatly, as long as you leave a black outline around the base colour and the uniform colour.

Really it is all about a steady hand and breathing. I usually find I actually stop breathing while I paint these areas then start breathing again once done, so my wife tells me lol.

Then she asks if my insurance policy is up to date..go figure.

Regards,
Shane

julianmizzi14 May 2009 12:44 a.m. PST

haha … almost like a Sniper preparing for his shot !

Rassilon Inactive Member16 May 2009 10:25 p.m. PST

Nice blog! Thanks for sharing! :)

wayneempire Inactive Member01 Nov 2009 6:33 p.m. PST

Dear Forum,

I'm a very mediocre to bad painter. Looking at all of these beautifully painted miniatures(are they 15mms or a larger scale?), creates a great deal of encouragement for me, as to what can be achieved by such skilled hobbyists!

I'm considering attempting for my own 15mm Napoleonic miniatures, white or gray primer, block painting, then using the Min Wax Polyshades Satin stains, in order to bring out details. Hoping for a way of adding depth and details on my 15mm Napoleonics' miniatures, which to date, I cannot seem to create, with a paintbrush!

Thanks for allowing me to view all of the painted 15mm Napoleonics, on this website & posted by all of my fellow hobbyists….I am at once amazed & full of envy!

Sincerely yours,
Wayne

Defiant Inactive Member01 Nov 2009 10:41 p.m. PST

Hi mate,

Glad you like them, I have not painted in months now but hope to add a few units over the coming months.

Regards,
Shane

Altefritz03 Nov 2009 12:23 p.m. PST

Slightly OT: the "officer in a famous painting…" is the Colonel Heymes, ADC to Marechal Ney at Waterloo. The painting, which depicts Ney, his ADC and his staff leading the charge of Donop Cuirassiers brigad (2nd and 3rd regimnets) is at the Panorama Museum at Waterloo and the painters are Robiquet, Malespina and Desvarreux

historygamer04 Nov 2009 8:13 a.m. PST

I'd love to see a step by step process too. Great work.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.