Help support TMP

"eBay final value fees rise to 10%" Topic

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Consumer Affairs Message Board

1,816 hits since 12 Mar 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

BigRedBat Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2009 2:38 a.m. PST

It looks like eBay have put final value fees up to 10%:-

auction

I think they have roughly doubled the fees since I started using eBay. They have a monopoly, and they abuse it!

Grizwald Inactive Member12 Mar 2009 2:49 a.m. PST

target foot … aim … fire!

Personal logo Chortle Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian12 Mar 2009 2:54 a.m. PST

I'm interested to know if ebay are doing better/worse in the recession.

Neil
games2trains.com (auction site)
reinforcementsbypost.com (painting service)

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Mar 2009 3:01 a.m. PST

It has been so long since I used ebay I don't even remember my password anymore. It must be about 3 years or so since I bought something on there.

Paul Hurst Inactive Member12 Mar 2009 3:23 a.m. PST

"They have a monopoly, and they abuse it!"

I know of several online auction sites, so not quite the monopoly you claim.

And yes, the 10% fee is excessive.

BigRedBat Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2009 3:29 a.m. PST

Perhaps "virtual monopoly" would have been a better description…

runs with scissors12 Mar 2009 4:47 a.m. PST

The charges are steep (and unwelcome – I am about to list a bunch of stuff myself) but you generally get a good price for your items, so it's still hard to beat.

Scale Creep Miniatures Inactive Member12 Mar 2009 5:53 a.m. PST

I do notice that lots of gamers are now just listing excess stuff on their own web sites. Joel at Old Glory for one. I'm getting ready to dump a bunch of Starship Troopers boxes and a few other odds and ends but I'll put them on my on site and pimp them here. It's not just the 10% to E-bay but the % to Paypal plus the listing fee. As it was they got 15% but now that'll be pushing 20%.

It will also hurt all these "Let us E-bay It For You" shops as they already charge 35% of the final sale price…

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
ScaleCreep.com
SteelCrush.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

RudyNelson12 Mar 2009 6:05 a.m. PST

I agree with Mike. My ebay usage is at a minimum. Back when I started in 1998, I had over $5,000 in postage fees that I spent at the post office due to ebay fees. In 2008, I had less than $500. USD

All I sold was new products but I could no longer absorb all the ebay and paypal costs.

Personal logo Alxbates Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2009 6:44 a.m. PST

Yeah… the fees have only gotten higher, and I don't feel like the service has increased commensurate with the fees.

The market is probably bigger – more potential buyers, and that is certainly worth something, but I haven't sold much there in a LONG time. I still buy, though.

jgawne12 Mar 2009 6:55 a.m. PST

I offered to take over ebay and run it into the ground for a mere 5 million a year (plus golden parachute) thus saving them money in the long run.

Oddly they did not take me up on the deal.

Personal logo Grunt1861 Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2009 6:56 a.m. PST

Slightly lower fees for us Yanks, but still exorbitant IMHO.

auction

Top Gun Ace Inactive Member12 Mar 2009 7:03 a.m. PST

Yes, extremely high fees.

I rarely list anything there anymore.

Personal logo Dan Cyr Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2009 7:04 a.m. PST

Check out today's story on "The Wall Street Journal" article (front page above the crease) about EBay. Not a pretty picture for the business.

Dan

Bishop Odo12 Mar 2009 9:05 a.m. PST

EBay killed the flea markets at my local cons, so I wonder if this price hike might bring them back. Since I have not been to a con in years, how have the flea markets been lately, compared to 10years ago?

CPBelt12 Mar 2009 9:30 a.m. PST

IIRC 10% is what I used to pay as a "buyer fee" at all the real live auctions I used to attend. That was back in the early 1980s. So ebay has caught up to the real world auctions.

I wonder how many ebay sellers actually have real live auction experience? Few, I would imagine.

Jmrino Inactive Member12 Mar 2009 9:45 a.m. PST

From the WSJ article:

"EBay Chief Executive John Donahoe told analysts Wednesday that the San Jose, Calif., company plans to focus its online-marketplace business on used and overstocked goods, rather than on the retail market for new goods that is dominated by competitors such as Amazon.com Inc."

"EBay's visitor traffic fell over the recent holiday season and the company reported a 16% drop in fourth-quarter revenue for its marketplace business. The online-marketplace business constitutes about half of eBay's $8.5 USD billion in annual revenue."

"EBay has been scrambling to reverse its slowing growth. After Ms. Whitman retired last year, her handpicked successor, Mr. Donahoe, made a series of changes. These included emphasizing fixed-price sales and giving preference to merchants who get positive customer ratings.

But the changes have yet to pay off. EBay reported its first-ever quarterly revenue decline, 7%, in the fourth quarter as profit fell 31%. Increasingly, eBay has relied for growth on its nonmarketplace businesses, such as its PayPal unit, which has doubled in revenue over the past 18 months."

Terrement Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2009 9:55 a.m. PST

I still buy on ebay when I must, never list sales there. Far prefer to deal directly either through sites like TMP, or Bartertown, or direct from manufacturers.

Between the fees, the hassles, and the abysmal customer service, I try to use ebay as little as possible.

JJ

Barmy Flutterz Inactive Member12 Mar 2009 11:38 a.m. PST

It's strange, but looking at my account page, I seem to be getting charged a lower percentage.

For example (all 'Toys & Hobbies' 15mm painted armies):

Item A
Sale price: $269.50 USD
Final Value Fee: $10.75 USD

Item B
Sale price: $100.00 USD
Final Value Fee: $4.81 USD

Item C
Sale price: $105.00 USD
Final Value Fee: $4.99 USD

When I look at the final value fee page, I see the same percentages mentioned above, but it does not seem that I am getting charged that much.

Maybe I should write eBay and inquire?
Hah!

Top Gun Ace Inactive Member12 Mar 2009 12:02 p.m. PST

No wonder their Paypal business is up.

They pretty much made it mandatory as a payment process, when they eliminated the option of money orders.

Yes, I know there is that other electronic method, but who has ever heard of it. No doubt, they will eventually buy it as well, if they don't own it already.

doublesix6613 Mar 2009 7:20 a.m. PST

Barmy Flutterz its only just come in you would have been charged a total of $47.25 USD instead of $20.55 USD if you had sold the same items now a big difference.

They should do it so you either pay listing fees and a smaller amount % if it sells or very small listing fees with this 10% at the end so for big sales you would go with option one and smaller priced items you would go with the second option

RudyNelson13 Mar 2009 9:40 a.m. PST

Barmy how much were the transaction fees if the guys paid by paypal? Ebay requires that some catagories use paypal payment method only.

Also if a person sells items like books with a low percentage of sales. the listing fee costs lost can be very high. This is the main reason that i no longer list but about 5% of what I did in 1998.

Barmy Flutterz Inactive Member13 Mar 2009 3:11 p.m. PST

Yeah, I was wondering about the details here as well.

Double six:
Did they really just double the fee overnight though?

If this is really the case though, I will be looking at giving eBay the old permanent Stiff arm.

I feel ill informed. I imagine this is how eBay likes their sellers ;o)

Rudy:

Yeah, they found a way into my pocket here too….

The payments were with paypal:

Item A (Shipped with insurance)
Money received: $285.50 USD
Paypal fee: $11.43 USD

Item B + C (Combined as single purchase)
Money Received: $215 USD
Paypal fee: $6.54 USD

Barmy Flutterz Inactive Member14 Mar 2009 4:24 p.m. PST

The good news is that I have just gotten my Turquoise star!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.