Help support TMP

"Early Spad XIII Which color" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Biplanes Message Board

1,165 hits since 13 Mar 2008
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Louie N Supporting Member of TMP13 Mar 2008 12:53 p.m. PST

Hello all,

I have an early production 1/72 Spad XIII with the rounded wing tips.

My question is would it be valid to paint this early production model in the French five color camo scheme.

Please let me know. I'm tyring to "historically" right.

Thanks

pvernon Supporting Member of TMP13 Mar 2008 1:20 p.m. PST

The early SPAD 13 can be either the 5 color camo or the yellow scheem. More likly the yellow.

Louie N Supporting Member of TMP13 Mar 2008 2:00 p.m. PST

Thank you

show some respect for women Inactive Member13 Mar 2008 2:24 p.m. PST

Some early Spad XIII's were done in a Doped Linen color to include the inferior surfaces of the the wings and fuselage. Sun exposure and dirt would tend to darken this color to a Beige over time:

Misterkit Color MKPFC04

MisterKit Color MKPFC10

link

Keep in mind the very early Spad XIII's were very unreliable. Engine life was, IIRC, less than 10 hours problems with oil flow made spaghetti out of the inner workings of the 200 and 220 hp Hispano Suiza. This problem was not remedied until January of 1918.

There were quite a few Spad XIIIs manufactured in April of 1917. Most likely, these would have all been done in the doped linen scheme.

Spad XIII production was almost nil during May of 1917 through December of 1917 inclusive. They could not get the engines to work reliably and until the problems were fixed this aircraft was not flown much if at all at the front.

January 1918, when the Spad XIII was first regularly flown in a combat role, certainly some, if not almost all of these older style aircraft were still around and were utilized in January of 1918 and perhaps even into February of 1918.

Very likely all Spad XIII's would have been converted to the 5 color cammo scheme between January 1918 and March of 1918 inclusive.

The 5 color cammo scheme is done using the following:

MisterKit Colors:

MKPFC12 Light Green
MKPFC11 Dark Green
MKPFC10 Beige (apparently this could look yellowish as well -- suppose it depended on the batch of paint)
MKPFC08 Medium Brown -- not sure about which brown
MKPFC05 Chestnut Brown -- not sure about which brown
and a Black.

5 color cammo was probably applied to all new production aircraft manufactured after December of 1917.

And no, I don't work for MisterKit. I find these paints to be historically as accurate as you can reasonably find on the market right now. MisterKit paints are marketed in plastic bottles and tend to dry out. *sad*

IIRC Poly paints also had some WWI colors. Might want to look at these too as they would last longer (I have some that are 40 years old and still going strong).

mjc

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.