Help support TMP

"Robotech Battle Report - 1/200 scale" Topic

99 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

Back to the SF Battle Reports Message Board

Areas of Interest

Science Fiction

Featured Hobby News Article

18,445 hits since 1 Feb 2008
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

phobia20 Mar 2009 10:21 p.m. PST

Every time I look at this thread I wanna go get some of those models. Very cool.

Please post again when you do another battle.

Glenn M21 Mar 2009 7:24 p.m. PST

My brother and I decided to give these figures a go as we thought something in this lane would be fun, though we are aiming at 1 or two fighters per side, I just wish I had the cash to acquire some of those fabulous Zentradi figure. If only they'd release a Zentradi Gashapon only pack soon.

link

Glenn M23 Mar 2009 2:29 p.m. PST

Actually Greg, can you shoot me an email please at:
biokanan@hotmail.com I have a couple questions for you and I'd like to take a look at your rules.

Greg B27 Mar 2009 5:51 a.m. PST

Hi Glenn – I sent you a note, but feel free to send me a message on the site as well.

Cheers,

GB

sprayer05 Apr 2009 7:13 a.m. PST

Greg,
Could you please send me a copy of your rule mods.

Thanks
EricS

sprayer06 Apr 2009 3:00 p.m. PST

Sorry forgot my email.
hoppenra at yahoo dot com

Thanks
EricS

Greg B07 Apr 2009 9:20 a.m. PST

Sprayer – I sent you a copy – hope your project goes well.
Cheers,

Greg

xMikxvx23 Sep 2010 9:21 p.m. PST

Sprayer I sent you a copy hope your project goes well.
Cheers,

Greg

I really hate necroing old threads but I cant find a way to pm you Greg. So heres to hoping you still have a copy of your house rules, if you do I'd love a copy.

Mikehighhopes@gmail.com

Again sorry for threadomancy, and thanks for your help.

Greg B06 Oct 2010 2:28 p.m. PST

Hi Mike – we played another game earlier this summer, and in fact did not use the rules version that went with this battle report. We used a conversion of Lord of the Rings instead :)

I will try and dig up the old MSIA conversion if you wish…

Greg

Rogue Zoat11 Oct 2010 11:41 a.m. PST

There is also the Mecha Carnage rules which are quite fun, and reasonably-priced too. Gomi Designs I think did them?

The Black Android04 Dec 2010 11:03 p.m. PST

Greg,
Can you send me a copy of your Robotech rules and charts adaptation of "Mobile Soldier in Action". My E-mail is Drboynton@yahoo.com
Cheers,
Mike

weslynks23 Apr 2011 8:45 p.m. PST

Greg,

I was wondering if I could get a set of your rules as well. They sound like fun.

weslynks@hotmail.com

WilhelmRochRedDuke17 Jul 2011 7:31 p.m. PST

I was wondering If I could get a copy of your rules as well.. I appreciate anything that I could get.
Thanks
Tom
Rolachey@hotmail.com

Tulhutus25 Jul 2011 4:12 p.m. PST

I'm a new member around here.

Would it be still possible to get a copy of the rules also?

We run a quite active battletech group here in Finland and I thought it would be fun to try your robotech rules. Most of us are macross/robotech fans.

My e-mail is

selinjoonas (at) kotiposti.net

thanks

Greg B26 Jul 2011 1:48 p.m. PST

Tom & Tulhutus – I've sent the mods. All the best.

GB

mech dude16 Aug 2011 1:03 a.m. PST

Totally loved the write up for this and it's inspired me to do my own army. If you wouldn't mind forwarding it I'd be very interested in a copy of the modfied rules.

I have the base MSIA rules but I'd like to see what mods people have done with the system.

paulsongames (at) hotmail.com

I don't have any game reports but I have some WIP stuff up in this thread: link

kidbananas17 Aug 2011 8:43 p.m. PST

Is it still possible to get a copy of the rules? A friend just showed me a game on another sight with these rules, looks fun.

kidbananas_2000 at yahoo dot com

Thanks

Blackpool19 Sep 2011 6:30 a.m. PST

Hi Greg, this is fantastic!!! I've been looking at this page on and off for a few years. I think I might be ready to dive in. Can you please email me your rules? vyris@techie.com

You have inspired me!
Thanks.

Greg B23 Sep 2011 2:06 p.m. PST

Hi Blackpool,

I'll try and track it down for you – send me a PM to remind me!

Cheers,

Greg

Blackpool26 Sep 2011 9:02 p.m. PST

Hey Greg, thanks though Mike got me. Can't wait to play. I'm in the model buying phase.

Seems really hard to find Battle Pods in 1/200 scale.

Greg B27 Sep 2011 2:12 p.m. PST

Pick up the artillery pod models if you can – the model kits themselves can actually be built as either the "tactical" pods or the artillery pods themselves, even though the boxes of tactical pods are often more expensive.

Blackpool27 Sep 2011 6:24 p.m. PST

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. Not finding any pods on ebay. I did register at Bartertown per your recommendation but it looks dry.
Found some pods avail from overseas. Not sure what to expect from those in terms of shipping or product.

Blackpool03 Oct 2011 4:37 p.m. PST

I've managed to buy a 1/200 Regult. Man these things are expensive. I see a lot more in 1/100 scale for less.

Aside from game space or background sets, are there any advantages that 1/200 has over 1/100?

The Black Android03 Oct 2011 7:22 p.m. PST

No, the 1/100 would not work very well unless your tabletop is gigantic. If you played on a normal tabletop the battle would be over very quickly with the rules I sent you. I had a large collection of the 1/100 scale kits about 28 of them and I got out of them mainly because I did not have room for them. They also take a long time to make compared to the 1/200 kits. You can build one after work and it is enjoyable. Build it in one evening in like 20 minutes or less. Then prime it before you go to bed. Then paint it the next night and the next do the stickers or decals. 1/200 is the way to go. I would go for some of the Bandai sets first and then start getting the Nichimo sets with 2 kits in each one.
I am also thinking of casting up some pods next summer as I can see that everyone wants them. I now have a new silicone molding process that I developed that would make some cool garage kits with few bubbles or distortions.

Cheers,
Mike

The Black Android03 Oct 2011 7:32 p.m. PST

Anyone in Eastern Washington up for a game of MSIA Robotech? I have everything we need to play.

Contact me at: Drboynton@yahoo.com

Some corny but unfortunately necessary stipulations:
Players must have good hygiene, no criminal record, be out of high school and be a "good" sport.

Blackpool04 Oct 2011 8:37 p.m. PST

Thanks for the tips Mike. The last time I made models, I was like 12 lol. I am not that great at painting either, but I'm hoping my love for Robotech will help!

I have now scored 2 Testors VTs, 2 Nichimo Gerwalks, 2 Nichimo Battloids, 1 Destroid Monster, 1 Nichimo Regult and 2 Nichimo Destroids. All in 1/200. You have helped create a monster LOL.

Wish I lived near you so we could play. Move to SoCal and you will have a Robotech tabletop pal for life :P

WilhelmRochRedDuke20 Oct 2011 1:08 p.m. PST

Gentlemen, I've been busy creating a Robotech Tabletop miniature game based on 1/144 scale and it would be great if I could get your support and comments. Since this has been the only other thread that has had a game of Robotech played with minis I'm hoping to build from this thread. I hope that is ok and I wouldn't want to Hijack anyones previous work. I read and used the MSIA and several other ideas from other game systems to create this and I'm sure this ruleset would work equally well with the 1/100 and 1/200 scale models already out there. You can download a copy of the rules and check out the blog at: robotechbattles.blogspot.com I am looking to get licencing and eventially minis created. Anyone that has experience casting would be a great help once I can get prototypes made. I'm looking to get a full range of minis created at the 1/144 scale. This would include Veritechs, Battloids, Battle & officer pods and the Power armours(male & Female)..Any help would be appreciated

Greg B21 Oct 2011 7:46 a.m. PST

WRRD – Good luck with your project. I'll be looking forward to the rules…

The Black Android21 Oct 2011 6:35 p.m. PST

Well WRRD,
1/144 might not be the best scale choice due to the current selection and price of enemy mecha in this scale. Even 1/320 scale offers more of a selection if you can locate the 2nd and 3rd plastic Macross boxed sets. That is with a big "if". 1/200 is your best bet.

Also, 1/200 Robotech fans I found this link to an old 1/200 scale Robotech game! I have not seen this before. The poster miss identifies the kits as 1/300. Greg B are they your kits?!!

link

WilhelmRochRedDuke21 Oct 2011 7:18 p.m. PST

Android,
I completely agree with you on the lack of enemy mecha.. SOooo I'll just have to raise some funds to get prototypes made.. I do want to stick with the 1/144 scale for the detail that can be seen with a touch larger scale. Also there is less issue with trying to get a good joint where the legs join the valkyrie and you wouldn't have to thicken up the nose of the jet to get a strong enough connection.
This is all after I get the Licensing and the Ruleset completed for publication and my Gaming company set.. I have already found some 3D models that can be rapid prototyped and with a few modifications the regult battle pods and variations can be created along with the officer pod. Also there is currently 1/144 scale male and female battle armours already. Anyone know Tommy Yune from Harmony Gold personally?
Great link also!

Lion in the Stars22 Oct 2011 2:14 p.m. PST

Don't waste your breath talking to Harmony Gold, they don't own the IP for the images. Harmony Gold basically only owns the rights to the English-language dialogue and packaging as 'Robotech', no matter what they claim to have bought. That court case has been settled, firmly.

You need to talk to the original series creators in Japan, Tatsunoko Production Co. Ltd. I'm sure someone there does speak English, but the licensing fees may be a bit steep. After all, you are competing with Bandai for model kit production, and they're roughly a cross between Disney and Hasbro!

Greg B28 Oct 2011 11:29 a.m. PST

Android – those are in fact my kits, at a game we ran at a covention last summer. You are right – the kits are sold as 1/200, but I generally refer to them in my group as 1/300, as I find the "scale" in the Robotech/Macross universe to have a lot of variability.

Our group plays Robotech every so often – I've run it out to PrairieCon in Brandon Manitoba for a couple of years in a row now. I am actually looking at a way to adapt the "Tomorrow's War" engine for a game.

mech dude10 Nov 2011 6:55 a.m. PST

Hey Guys, I've finally got my robotech armies underway. Since there's a pronounced lack of available Zentraedi mecha I'm in the process of getting some pro level sculpts completed. I have a battletech scale version just about finished and also working one a 3D CAD model made 1/200 scale version that way I can tinker with running games in both scales. I should have pics of the greens up sometime next week.

Greg I wanted to say thanks for leading me down this path of madness

Here's my blog for anyone who's interested. mechdudesblog.blogspot.com

Greg B10 Nov 2011 10:30 a.m. PST

Mech Dude – great job – I think your Zentreadi force looks pretty solid – good luck with the games!! I'll be sure to watch the blog for progress.

The Black Android10 Nov 2011 10:00 p.m. PST

Mech Dude is this you also?

link

mech dude11 Nov 2011 6:53 a.m. PST

Yes I post on a couple forums.

mech dude11 Nov 2011 8:28 a.m. PST

Here's some WIP shots of the CBT scale Regult. About 55mm tall as I'm aimig to set the height in proportion to the Macross/Robotech unseens which are about 45mm. I'm really happy with how this project is coming along. :)

WilhelmRochRedDuke13 Nov 2011 7:18 p.m. PST

Great work, Love the detail.. Mech Dude could you contact me, I would like to discuss with yopu a few things about a project I'm working on.
Tom Roache, P.E.
Rolachey@hotmail.com

MacrossMartin14 Nov 2011 2:05 a.m. PST

Applause coming your way, Mech dude! Fantastic blog, the Zents are coming along nicely. Will be watching your progress with enthusiasm!

The Black Android14 Nov 2011 8:24 p.m. PST

Any chance you will be tackling the male power armor any time soon in 1/200ish scale? There is a massive need for this kit in 1/200 in any Robotech game as the Female armor is so powerful and no other enemy mecha can pick up objectives. The existing 1/144 male power armor kits are radically oversize for use in 1/200 scale battles. Maybe you will go all the way and make a 1/200 "Renegade" male power armor from Macross Plus. If you decide to undergo that endeavor please contact me at Drboynton@yahoo.com It would be good for your Zentraedi army.

Greg B14 Nov 2011 9:16 p.m. PST

Another vote for the male power armour – that would be a huge boost to any game….

mech dude14 Nov 2011 10:43 p.m. PST

A male power armor is definately in the plans, it may be a while as I need to get my army ready for April. I'll work on it as I can. I'm thinking I'll probably base it on the design from DYRL as it's not quite as clunky looking as the original version.

I vastly prefer the design of the Marduke armor from macross II but if I'm sticking to canon designs that means using the fugly versions of the armor.

At a later point I'd also like to piece together a phallanx as it's also missing from the 1/200 scale line up.

Also if anyone is in the chicago area I'm trying to set up an event at Adepticon in April.

The Black Android15 Nov 2011 9:24 p.m. PST

I hope you stick with the classics. I did not like the male power armor at first but then over time it grew on me. I did not like the big feet on it but now I think they are awesome because they are what sets the design apart from all other mecha. Another factor is all the color schemes. There are so many possibilities. I love the cover of Zentraedi Breakout (Robotech Rpg Adventures) with this big male armor charging the viewer. What you describe as clunky to me now looks original, alien and practical. Male Zentraedi don't care about sleek looking mecha. They just want to fight, kill and break things. Think of the stomping power of those big flat feet crushing fleeing crowds of micronians underneath them. Anyway, I am sure whatever you do it will be awesome.

The Black Android16 Nov 2011 8:13 p.m. PST

Jon,
I replied to your E-mail. The link to my Robotech 1/200 web page is…
link

Cheers,
Mike

Blackpool10 Dec 2011 11:20 a.m. PST

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to make my first model. What kind of paints and glue would you recommend for Robotech? Is there a good starter set? Thanks!

The Black Android13 Dec 2011 11:11 p.m. PST

I do some variations of the following for my 1/200 Robothech kits:

Wash the kit on the sprew in Dawn dish-washing detergent to degrees it.

I use cheep super glue from the dollar store and some of that Zap glue if I need it.

I then sand the model with fine sand paper and rinse it.

Let it dry.

To paint my Robotech kits I use a very light misting undercoat of white spray paint.

You are just lightly misting it to make a surface that your paint will adhere to.

Do not soak it with spray paint. Lots of people do this and they trash all the detail on the kit.

Now you just use some Acrylic paint and paint on all your base colors. Go back over it and clean it up so it all looks solid. Get this paint at any craft store. It is inexpensive and you can clean up your brushes with water.

Next, I give the kit a wash of a darker color. A wash is just paint mixed with water so it is like the consistency of 2% milk. For example, Light blue can be washed with dark blue or purple…yellow with red or orange. You can always do black on any color but it will make the model look very weathered. I also save my washes and re use them. The wash will create shading on the kit as it flows into the cracks.

Now let it totally dry.

Next, do some dry brushing to bring out the highlights. Do not use a good brush for this because it will trash the brush over time. Take your brush dip it in paint that is lighter than the base color. Wipe it on a towel until it looks dry. Now draw it across the surface of the model and all the highlights will brighten up. You will see the details well now. White works well to do this but will make the model look chalky if you over do it.

Now use an OO or an OOO brush to do all your details and black line work. You need to paint in all the lines on the model with black to make it look very Mech like.

Now I do the decals.

Now, spray the model with a flat fixative at the very end to seal it and make the paint stay on.

I do not like gloss on my Robotech miniatures but I did make some of my pods shiny to make them look new. I gave others a black wash to make them look war scared and neglected. Also, some of the 1/200 Macross kits have stickers that don't have yellow so you have to paint the yellow on the kit and then place the sticker over the top.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Mike

Blackpool19 Dec 2011 6:37 p.m. PST

Mike, that is an awesome tutorial! You should totally make one for youtube. I was visualizing everything you said. Thanks!

mech dude12 Jan 2012 11:00 a.m. PST

I'd been a while but I finally have a brand new pair of shiny custom sculpts finished. :D

(battletech scale)

More pics on my blog: mechdudesblog.blogspot.com

Greg B13 Jan 2012 7:53 a.m. PST

Wow – Mech Dude, that is really something!
You should kick off your own thread on this, so your excellent work gets some more notice (although I always am excited to see this thread get a new post every so often…)

Pages: 1 2 

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.