Help support TMP

"Alien-Like Tendrils/Vines: Suggestions???" Topic

33 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

3,995 hits since 22 Nov 2007
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2007 8:16 p.m. PST

How would I make something like these?

picture

(Zoom in for the detail)

Thanks.

CC

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2007 8:51 p.m. PST
Space Monkey22 Nov 2007 9:42 p.m. PST

I might try chopping up a bunch of thin white thread and using it like flock… mixed with Elmers and reddish paint/dye.

Space Monkey22 Nov 2007 9:47 p.m. PST

Then re-flock around it with regular green/brown.

the trojan bunny22 Nov 2007 11:37 p.m. PST

Thin copper wire covered in red flock?

Skrapwelder Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2007 11:59 p.m. PST

Raffia?

picture

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP23 Nov 2007 1:07 a.m. PST

What do you guys think, would lichen work too?

CC

Minimaker Inactive Member23 Nov 2007 2:19 a.m. PST

I couldn't get the first link to work but if what is on the movie pic is what you want Lichen can work. you may have to cut it apart to select the right shapes though.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP24 Nov 2007 11:19 a.m. PST

Weird. It worked for a short while!

Anyway, here is a much smaller version of that photo:

picture
picture

Here is another view:

picture

CC

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP24 Nov 2007 11:30 a.m. PST

Ok. This one is a little better . . .

picture
picture

Here is HG Wells' description of it:

"Apparently the vegetable kingdom in Mars, instead of having green for a dominant colour, is of a vivid blood-red tint. At any rate, the seeds which the Martians (intentionally or accidentally) brought with them gave rise in all cases to red-coloured growths. Only that known popularly as the red weed, however, gained any footing in competition with terrestrial forms. The red creeper was quite a transitory growth, and few people have seen it growing. For a time, however, the red weed grew with astonishing vigour and luxuriance. It spread up the sides of the pit by the third or fourth day of our imprisonment, and its cactus-like branches formed a carmine fringe to the edges of our triangular window. And afterwards I found it broadcast throughout the country, and especially wherever there was a stream of water."
link

CC

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP24 Nov 2007 12:22 p.m. PST

Ok. If this does not open when you click on it, does it open when you right-click and open in a new tab?

picture

CC

artslave Inactive Member24 Nov 2007 2:59 p.m. PST

I think the string theory, red die and glue mixed with string, would work well. You could also buy some red dyed lichen. I have a bunch of red-ish purple lichen I use for poison bushes in "The Lost World", or for that alien look in Sci Fi adventures.

Zephyr124 Nov 2007 4:03 p.m. PST

Spray down some red Silly String…? ;)

The other suggestion I have is to unravel some thick red yarn or twine, form a mat of it, and coat with a water/white glue mix to stiffen it.

gweirda Inactive Member26 Nov 2007 10:10 p.m. PST

along the same line as Zephyr1's suggestion (if trying to get the right color with paint is better/easier/cheaper than tracking down colored string/yarn):

1 – unravel a mess o'string or thread of the desired thickness.

2 – dip/dunk the wad into latex paint (of the desired color), mix/slosh thoroughly. (rubber gloves are a good idea in this and the following step…)

3 – pull the string/thread out of the paint, let it drip a bit, and lay the resulting mess onto a big board covered with wax paper: spread it out as thick/thin as desired.

4 – when the mess dries, spackle/spatter/dry-brush lighter/darker tones to create variation (same = unnatural = boring = ugly).

5 – peal off of board and cut to desired size/shapes.

gweirda Inactive Member26 Nov 2007 10:19 p.m. PST

btw – this method can be used to make your own custom-colored undergowth/bushes by substituting med-high density packing foam (the mushy kind, not styrofoam) for the string.

grind the stuff up in a blender to the size desired and proceed as in steps 2 – 4 above.

trees can be made in the same way: pinching/pulling off pieces from a rough block of foam (with pliers or fingers) yields a pretty good shape. glue a dowel in for a trunk, dip-coat, dry, spackle (or flock if you want ot be fancy)…and viola! forest-on-a-budget! and the suckers are tough!

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2007 11:24 p.m. PST

GWerida,

I've gotta try that! If anything, it sounds like fun. :)

CC

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP09 Dec 2007 10:21 a.m. PST

OK. I may have some photos later this week of what I've done.

I'm giving it the finishing touches in the next couple of days.

CC

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP24 May 2008 1:22 p.m. PST

Some tips here for roots/vines:

TMP link

CC

Robin Bobcat Inactive Member27 May 2008 2:24 a.m. PST

Actually.. what's wrong with actual roots? Go and pull up some crabrass, carefully wash off. If you're adverse to physical labor, go to the local garden shop and ask if they have any flats that didn't make the cut.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP31 May 2008 3:29 p.m. PST

Robin,

That's so simple it's brilliant!

CC

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP10 Jun 2008 11:29 p.m. PST

I guess the key is to make sure that the soil and grass underneath are kept to their natural colors, so as to contrast with the red weed:

picture

CC

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP10 Jun 2008 11:46 p.m. PST

The red weed shows up 1:29 into the film:

link

CC

Robin Bobcat Inactive Member14 Jun 2008 11:05 p.m. PST

Who said anything about soil? wash off the dirt, so all you have left are a bunch of roots, then arrange and apply as desired.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP15 Jun 2008 8:17 p.m. PST

Robin,

LOL. Who said I was going to leave on the dirt?

I meant that, when finally painting the red weed, I would try to paint the substrate (whatever that material is in the final piece) a different and contrasting color.

CC

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP29 Dec 2009 4:50 a.m. PST

This is creepy and graphic:

YouTube link
YouTube link

But it does have alien-like plants!

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP09 Apr 2010 4:38 p.m. PST

Canned insulating foam might be the way to go:

link

Dan

War Monkey09 Apr 2010 8:03 p.m. PST

Dan
If you want it to look like Spanish moss hanging from the trees you can use cotton balls, you'll have to practice first till you get the look you want, first glue the cotton ball on the tree at the point that you want it at let it set, then pull the cotton ball pulling it apart and drag it downward, then paint or give it washes of red, and you will get a very nice look, works great for trees in a swamp with that old Spanish moss look.
here is an exsample. link

Hope it helps

Doug

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP02 Dec 2010 11:47 p.m. PST

picture
picture
picture
picture

Hmm . . . if I wanted to use Spanish Moss to represent VERY large roots/tendrils, which one would glue down best . . .

. . . the real stuff?
link

. . . or the plastic stuff?
link

Thanks,

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2011 8:40 p.m. PST

Update

More suggestions here (and even a tutorial):

link
link
TMP link

Dan

Personal logo flooglestreet Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2011 6:26 p.m. PST

DELETED

Personal logo flooglestreet Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2011 6:29 p.m. PST

Somebody else was asking about red weed from Wells novel and a suggestion was offered about using horse hair. A google search revealed some horse hair vendors. I have no idea who is a reliable seller. Perhaps this was the link TMP link

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP28 Nov 2011 1:33 p.m. PST

Hmm, I just thought of something really crazy. What if you took this and cut it up into tiny 10mm pieces . . .

picture

Or . . .

picture

Or . . . BOTH!

Would it work for this?

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

Thanks,

Dan
TMP link

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP28 Mar 2014 10:21 p.m. PST

Goober may have found a solution after all:

TMP link

Dan

War Monkey29 Mar 2014 8:32 p.m. PST

@ CC
That red stuff on the roll there, Where did you find that at and what's the name of it and can one get in different colors for other alien plant use

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.