Help support TMP

Painting Battlelore Figures with Markers & Dip

Back to Workbench

Yngtitan Supporting Member of TMP writes:

This seems an intriguing concept. Has anyone tried it on 1/72 scale soft plastic figures? I.e. revell or Italeari?

d Wood

Revision Log
14 July 2009page first published

Areas of Interest

Toy Gaming

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Photocrinch's Entry for Intimidation Doubled

photocrinch presents his Intimidation Doubled entry.

Featured Profile Article

Return to El Alamein [Flames of War]

Paul Glasser replays the Battle of El Alamein - this time, as a British infantry officer.

Featured Book Review

8,374 hits since 14 Jul 2009
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Formerly Regiment Games Fezian writes:

A while back, Ron Hamilton wrote an excellent little article on the Internet [PDF format], discussing using markers for coloring Fantasy Flight Games' Battlelore figures.


I decided to try this with some Battlelore figures myself. It seems this could be a portable and easy way to get figures done when away from your main paint station. I don't need to do this, but wanted to see just what results I could achieve. I bought a variety of markers - including brush-type, fine point, and including silver and gold metallic colors (which are opaque, at least over a white surface). By the way, I use the markers for other things, too; it may not be worth it to you, unless you use this method a lot or have other uses for them, to invest in a bunch of markers.

First Test

I decided that I would use gesso as my primer. This was something entirely new for me, as I almost always use spray primer. I added a small amount of Apple Barrel white craft paint to the gesso to make it slightly more opaque.


I used markers on some four-man Battlelore units, but only as far as I considered it "easy." I finished off with paint, and then dip. Here are some pix of those first, partially marker-colored, units.

Silver infantry
Yellow infantry

The Highlander kilt designs were made with fine-point markers, but left some white areas still showing. I really like the way the dip picked out the detail on the quilted jackets and on the helmets. Again, these first groups of figures only had marker for some of the colors, then paint, then dip. I used Dullcote as a finish.