Help support TMP


1 - Planning for the Tri-Deck


GAMILON: Tri-Deck Carrier
Product #
2001
Manufacturer
Suggested Retail Price
US$9.95


Back to BUILDING A THREE-DECKER SPACECRAFT

Back to Workbench


Revision Log
7 March 2000page split off
5 October 1997page first published

6,543 hits since 19 Mar 2000
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

the parts (shown double actual size)

This starship is composed of seven parts:

  • main hull
  • 3 flight decks
  • a lower hull piece ("balcony")
  • 2 "knobs"

Fortunately, the enclosed plans give me some idea of how the parts fit together:

the plan

I tried dry-fitting the flight decks onto the main hull. The lowest deck fit nicely into the hull, with a minute gap between it and the hull's integral deck - but it wasn't clear how far the deck should sit into the hull. The second flight deck clearly fits into place, but wants to slope up too far - I'll have to pay attention when gluing it down. As for the top-most flight deck, the diagram really doesn't tell me where it fits onto the hull...but I have a secret weapon, a small photo of a finished kit:

the manufacturer's picture

This makes it clear that the top deck fits against the top hull flange, not on top of it. It also fits flush against the flight deck below, little or no gap.

It's quite clear how the lower hull piece fits into place, though I'll need to make sure it is properly aligned side-to-side. As for the knobs, I really have no idea where they go, but figure I'll worry about them when everything else is in place. The whole ship is roughly 4 cm long (or 1.5 inches). The main hull includes a hole for insertion of a flight stand (included).


From what I've seen so far, it seems obvious that I'll need to paint the ship first, then assemble the components - since I won't be able to paint between the decks after they've been glued in. (But maybe you won't be able to see between the decks - they are awful close together...) Of course, painting first means that the parts, with a coat of paint on them, might not fit together as well as they do now.

Before painting the parts, I check them for imperfections. With a file, I knock burrs off the edges of the flight decks. The four "teeth" at the front of the main hull have some excess metal in them, which is easily knocked out with a file. The bottom rear of my main hull is a bit uneven, so I smooth it out with more file work. The fins on my "balcony" don't quite match, but I decide to leave them as they are rather than try to reshape them.