Help support TMP

Painting the Dragon

Masterworks: Elmore Set #1
Product #
Suggested Retail Price
$29.95 USD


Back to Workbench

Revision Log
28 October 2010page first published

Areas of Interest


Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

15mm Dwarven War Wagon

Old Guard Painters painted a 15mm fantasy war wagon for TMP.

Featured Workbench Article

Basing with Two-Part Epoxy

One way to avoid the 'pitcher's mound' effect.

Featured Profile Article

Report from ReaperCon 2006

MiniWargamer reports from last May's ReaperCon 2006.

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

4,370 hits since 28 Oct 2010
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

chuck05 Fezian writes:

Putting color on the dragon

I decided to paint the dragon in the same colors as the figure on the box. I've used the same colors on some other figures, and I liked the combination. Here are the colors I used:


Wedgewood Blue by Americana
Manganese Blue by Ceramcoat
First drybrush:
Wedgewood Blue
Second drybrush:
Victorian Blue by Americana
Third drybrush:
Laguna Blue by Ceramcoat
Final drybrush:
Sea Breeze by Americana

I use a lot of craft paints in my painting. You just can't beat the variety of colors. The price is also nice, as well as the fact that I don't have to make a special run to the hobby shop to get paint.

For the drybrush coats, I used a successively lighter touch and covered a smaller area, with the final coat just hitting the most prominent areas. When I finished the drybrushing, I went back with a very fine brush and picked out the individual scales with Sea Breeze (thinned with a bit of water) to add a bit more highlight.

Parkinson Dragon

Next, I added the stripes.

Saddle Brown by Vallejo Model Color
Walnut by Ceramcoat
Honey Brown by Americana

When I mix up my washes, I use "magic wash" as a base. For those who are unfamiliar with "magic wash," it's just water mixed with Future floor wax. I use four-parts water to one-part Future. When I need a wash, I just add a few drops of the "magic wash" mix to whatever color paint I want to use for the wash. I add enough "magic wash" to the paint until I achieve a slightly milk-like consistency. This keeps the wash from running all over the place, and it stays put in the details.

Parkinson Dragon

Next, I did the belly and the back spines.


Raw Linen by Ceramcoat
Walnut by Ceramcoat
Raw Linen
Parkinson Dragon

Back Spines:

Mudstone by Ceramcoat
Raw Linen by Ceramcoat

For the horns, I started with a black base, then painted on a thinned-down layer of Vallejo Dark Flesh, making sure I left some of the black showing. I then brushed on a thinned-down layer of Americana Milk Chocolate - again, leaving some of the previous layer showing.

For the tongue, I went with a purple basecoat highlighted with increasing amounts of a light fleshtone color mixed into the base purple. I then picked out the teeth with Ceramcoat's Antique White.