Help support TMP


Painting the (Black) Horse


Mounted Knight
Product #
91-402
Manufacturer
Suggested Retail Price
unknown


Back to 4) A (BLACK) HORSE

Back to Workbench


Revision Log
4 September 2007page first published

Areas of Interest

Fantasy

Featured Hobby News Article


Featured Link


Top-Rated Ruleset

Hordes of the Things


Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 


Featured Showcase Article

Eureka Amazon Project: The Phalangitrixes

unknown member paints the prototypes for the Eureka Amazon Army.


Featured Profile Article

Julia's 1st Wargame

unknown member plays her first wargame... via webchat.


Current Poll


Featured Book Review


Featured Movie Review


3,571 hits since 4 Sep 2007
©1994-2023 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System is temporarily offline for maintenance. It should be restored shortly.

unknown member of the Mini-Dragon Painting Service writes:

I used my dark blue to very liberally cover the areas that I wanted to highlight. You can see that this ends up being most of the horse the only places that didn't get some blue were the undersides of the belly and head, and the deep recesses of the legs, tail, and mane.

Black-blue basecoat

The next photo shows the result of adding some more blue to my mix. Again, I just added the amount that "felt" right. I wanted a color that looked like a small step up (in brightness and intensity) from the very dark blue. I used this new color to paint right over the dark blue, being sure to leave some of the darker color showing.

First highlight

I know that I'll be using some washes/glazes to tone down and tie together the highlights, so I mix still more blue into my highlight color and hit the high spots again, once more covering a smaller area, and concentrating on high points facing my imaginary light source (above and behind the horse).

More highlighting

Now, I give the black parts a mid-strength wash of a mix of blue and black ink. I don't remember the formula exactly, but .5:1:1:5 (black ink:blue ink:Future:water) is probably close. The result is that the highlights I've painted on are now muted, and closer together in brightness and color. At this point, I allow the figure to sit for a while to dry all that water takes a bit of time to evaporate (happily though, the Future helps speed the drying a bit).

Washed

Upon returning, I can see that the wash has finished the job for me. I'm happy with the way the horse looks (other than the hideous ink-shine), so I quickly glue on some flock and apply my two-step varnish (first, cheap satin; and then Testors Dullcote or whatever equivalent I'm using). With that, the horse is all done...