Help support TMP


Addendum: Painting a Crucible Ogre


Ogre
Product #
02-425
Manufacturer
Suggested Retail Price
£3.95 GBP


Back to THE CRUCIBLE PRINCIPATE ARMY PROJECT

Back to Workbench


Revision Log
25 March 2009page first published

2,352 hits since 25 Mar 2009
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Minidragon Fezian Inactive Member of Mini-Dragon writes:

I believe that this figure will put the finishing touch on Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian's Crucible Principate army. The story goes that our illustrious Editor lost the figure in the couch cushions (or some similar place) and couldn't find it for quite a while. After finally relocating the figure, he sent it to me, where it languished in the queue for a while. Now he's all painted up and ready to smash things, and I can give you a peek at what went into getting him ready for battle.

Before I ever started this guy, I decided he was going to get my version of The Dip treatment. My version is pretty much the same as everyone else's, but I throw in some highlighting at the end.

Cleaning and assembly was a breeze on this figure. There were lots of vent-tabs to remove, but I figure that's a good thing: first, they come off easy; second, if the vents are filling, the detail is, too - and there's lots of detail on this figure! I didn't actually glue the figure together until after it was painted, but the connection surfaces were large and mated up perfectly so it was a snap. There was no mold offset, and mold lines were minimal and easily removed with minor filing and scraping.

After the figure was all cleaned up, I gave it a black basecoat, followed by a lightish tan drybrush. The final preparation step was to wash the whole thing with some leftover thinned brown ink from another figure I'd been working on. The ink settled into detail that I might have accidentally painted over during the drybrushing - this step isn't really necessary, but it is helpful, and the ink would've just dried up so I threw it on there.

Crucible Ogre

Next, I painted the gold areas using slightly thinned bright brass paint. Nothing fancy here, just staying in the lines.

Crucible Ogre

Silver was next. I used a nice, bright silver color. The only thing to note here is that I drybrushed the chainmail parts instead of completely covering them.

Crucible Ogre

The next photo combines a few steps (once more, I got carried away and forgot to stop for progress shots - I'm getting better, though!). First, I used a light flesh tone to paint the skin areas, and then I painted on the leather bits with a reddish brown. Once that was done, I used an ochre color to paint some straps and cloth bits. I also painted the inside of his mouth with a light purplish-red.

Crucible Ogre

The next shot shows a little clean-up. I used silver to fix some mistakes, and paint some spikes on the leather straps. I also painted some heads hanging from one of his shoulders - one is a skull, that was painted with ivory; the next looks like a Goblin, it is now green; and (out of sight on the backside) is a human head with one eyeball hanging out -it got a mix of the Goblin green and the light flesh. The eyeball was painted with white (and a tiny blue iris), and the optic nerve/veins it is hanging from were done with the same red as the Ogre's mouth.

Crucible Ogre

Next, I painted the fur parts with brown, and then drybrushed them tan. I was careful with the drybrushing, as I didn't want to have to go back and fix any mistakes from overzealous brushstrokes!

Crucible Ogre