Help support TMP


Chuck1372's Simian Legion Report


Simian Empire Legionnaires (2 models)
Product #
2363
Manufacturer
Suggested Retail Price
$7.50 USD


Back to PAINTING THE SIMIAN LEGION

Back to Workbench


Revision Log
8 December 2003page first published

3,943 hits since 8 Dec 2003
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 12 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

chuck1372 Inactive Member writes:


Hi, everyone! Here is my workbench article featuring the Gorilla legionaries. I had a great time painting them, and am grateful to everyone that voted to give me the chance to do so.

First off, a little background about myself. My name is Chuck Lapine and I live in Wisconsin. I've been gaming and painting for over twenty years. I paint alot more than I play, unfortunately, but lately I've been trying to rectify that.

I just started getting to the point where I think my figures look good. I think it just takes time to develop your eye. I tend to use mostly craft paints - mainly because they are cheap, but also, they have a great range of colors. Craft paints do have their drawbacks, but with my painting style, they are pretty minimal.

On examining the figures, I was impressed with the size and heft of the figures. They are beefy figures, with just enough detail without being a chore to paint. There was very little flash or mold lines.

I decided early on that I was going to file off the design on the face of the shield. I felt that the design wasn't pronounced enough for me to paint cleanly.

I also decided to mount the figs on larger bases to make them easier to handle. After getting the OK from Bill, I picked up a bag of round Inquisitor-scale bases. I glued the figs down and filled in the base with wood putty. While the putty was drying, I pressed in assorted sizes of aquarium gravel and small pebbles. When that set, I covered the whole base in diluted white glue and gave them a light dusting of fine sand.

I primed all the figs black using GW black primer, and went back and fixed the spots I missed with a coat of GW black ink.

Once everything was dry, I started on the metal areas. I prefer to do the metal areas first - that way, I can deal with any rogue metal flakes later on in the painting process. I gave the breastplate and helmet a drybrush of GW Tin Bitz, followed by Ceramcote Hammered Iron, finished off with a light drybrush of Vallejo Chainmail silver. I saved the piping that goes around the armor for a later step.

I started on the fur next. I dyrybrushed the fur in the following colors.

  1. Charcoal (Ceramcoat)
  2. Wedgewood Blue (Americana)
  3. Hippo Grey (Ceramcoat)
  4. Mudstone (Ceramcoat)
  5. Bridgeport Grey (Ceramcoat)
  6. Drizzle Grey (Ceramcoat)

I switched to a smaller brush with the Mudstone color, so that I could work in some highlights without totally obscuring the previous layers. I followed this up with a light wash of Charcoal. For the hands face and feet, I started with the Hippo Grey. I then mixed in a little water and Bridgeport Grey and blended it in. It only takes a drop or two of water to make it work. I just dunk my brush once or twice and let a drop or two fall into the mix. I added in more Bridgeport Grey until I was using straight Bridgeport Grey. As you work lighter, try to paint within the boundries of the previous color without totally covering it. For the final highlights, I did a mix of Bridgeport Grey and Drizzle Grey and a little water. I used this on the raised ares like the lips, knuckles, and eyebrows.

I detailed the face next. I painted the eyes with a coat of white, followed by orange, followed by a dot of yellow. I finished off the eyes with a tiny dot of black for the pupil. I painted the teeth with a coat of Mustard (Ceramcoat) finished off with a coat of Old Parchment (Ceramcoat). Next I painted the tongue with Tompte Red (Ceramcoat), highlighted with a mix of Tompte Red and Fleshtone (Ceramcoat).

For the tunic, I started with a basecoat of Eggplant (Ceramcoat). I followed this with Hexed Lichen (Vallejo). I highlighted this with a mix of Hexed Lichen and Deep Lilac (Ceramcoat) mixed with a bit of water - I worked this up to straight Deep Lilac. For the final highlights, I mixed Deep Lilac with Lilac Dust (Plaid). I finished the tunic by painting the trim with Old Parchment.

The final tunic

For the trim on the armor and on the shield, I used Metallic Pure Gold (Folk Art). I painted the center of the shield with Old Parchment. I then gave the gold areas a wash of GW Chestnut Ink. For the design on the shield, I used some waterslide transfers from Veni Vidi Vici that I ordered from Wargames. I know what my strengths are, and hand painting the original shield design wasn't one of them. To finish off the shield, I dappled on a little Chestnut Ink around the outer edge of the Old Parchment.

The final shield

I did the sword blade with a coat of Hippo Grey highlighted with Hammered Iron. I finished it off by painting on a little Vallejo Chainmail silver on the very edge of the sword blade.

The final sword

The only thing left was the base. I painted the whole base in a nice dark brown, drybrushed with a couple of different lighter shades of brown and tan.

The base

I also did a nice movement tray (not pictured). I just cut out the rounds out of a piece of cardboard, and sandwiched it to another piece of cardboard. I finished it using the same technique as the figures bases.

One of the completed figures

Sorry I wasn't able to provide in-progress pics. I only had access to a flatbed scanner, and that was at my parents' house about a half hour away. I hope the pics are still useful and that I was somewhat informative. Best of luck to all the other contestants.