Help support TMP

Robartes' Roman Signifer

Product #
Suggested Retail Price
$10 USD


Back to Workbench

Revision Log
17 November 2005page first published

Areas of Interest


Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Hail Caesar

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Profile Article

June Contest Winner: Hoplite Baggage Vignette

Yesthatphil is the winner of the June 2015 contest with this wonderful entry.

Featured Book Review

3,719 hits since 17 Nov 2005
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

robartes writes:

For Round Two of this contest, I chose - quite possibly, just like the other three contestants grin - to paint the Roman Signifer, leaving the Murmillo gladiator for a possible last round.

My reasons for this are simple: At the outset of this competition, I chose to paint the figures in order of increasing amounts of skin they have showing. Painting skin is surprisingly difficult in the classic three-layer painting style, as getting the highlights and shades correct for skin (both in colour value and location of the highlights) is both very important and very touchy - everyone knows what skin should look like, so getting it right is important. Never having painted a 54mm figure before this contest, I took the coward's way out and decided to paint the figures in the order given, so I could get some exercise in painting skin before tackling the largely naked gladiator.

The various components and tools laid out

Having decided on the figure to paint, I twiddled around a bit with the figure (and the various other odds and ends provided) to find a pose that appealed to me. The figure was supplied with both hands separate, one holding the standard, the other a gladius (Roman sword). I also took out a few shields and a scabbard from the accesory pack provided.

After several different tries, I settled on replacing the sword with a shield, as if the Signifer is in a battle line that is not yet in contact with the enemy, but under some missile fire.

The sword was not totally lost, however, as I used part of it to add to the scabbard, which I also added to the figure. I think that the pose with shield (as opposed to the sword) adds some drama to the figure and tells more of a story - but that's just my opinion, of course. grin

Amputating the sword

After performing these small conversions (cutting the sword from the hand, using a part of its blade as new handle, and attaching this to the scabbard) and test-fitting the figure, I went on to prime the figure.

Test fitting the figure