Help support TMP


Flamingo: Assembly


Flammpanzer II 'Flamingo'
Product #
GAS50164
Manufacturer
Suggested Retail Price
€31.02 EUR


Back to 1/48 SCALE FLAMMPANZER II 'FLAMINGO'

Back to Workbench


camelspider writes:

I've done that on sprockets as well for bad teething problems, let's just call them. grin In this scale it's hardly noticable, though I would not want to do it for a 35th scale buildup.

Nicejob, the kit looks good built up. Not sure I'd put so much work into a kit meant for tabletop play, but then again, if you want a flamingo, you want a flamingo!


Revision Log
9 March 2009page first published

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article


Top-Rated Ruleset

A Fistful of TOWs


Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 


Featured Showcase Article

Microscale LCT(5) from Image Studios

Thinking to invade German-held Europe? Then you'll need some of these...


4,504 hits since 9 Mar 2009
©1994-2024 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 1 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.


TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.

miscmini Fezian writes:

The roadwheels, compensating idler, and drive sprocket fit loosely on their spindles. To ease assembly and create a tighter fit, I put a small amount of two-part putty into each of the wheels before I attached them.

Mounting the roadwheels

I aligned the roadwheels, and then fixed them in place with a touch of superglue.

Roadwheel alignment

While test-fitting the track around the compensating idler, I noticed that the center guides on the track were resting on the idler. I cut out sections of the idler so that the center guides would fit through them.

Compensating idler tweaked

The track for the kit consisted of several sections of track block. I lined the track blocks up next to a straight-edge, and noticed that they were slightly warped. Fortunately they weren't too warped, and I was able to square off the ends of the track, assemble them, and fill in the small gaps with gap-filling superglue. To avoid gluing the sections of track to the work area, I elevated the track so that the joints did not touch the table. The alignment and elevated track are depicted in the following pictures:

Track alignment
Elevated track

While dry-fitting the track to the drive sprocket, I noticed that the teeth on the sprocket did not fit through the sections of the track. I didn't think it worthwhile to trim the teeth of the sprocket or increase the gaps in the track, so I removed the offending sections of teeth from the sprocket. The following picture shows teeth removed on the right-side sprocket and marked for removal on the left-side sprocket (left and right relative to the driver's perspective):

Removing teeth from the sprocket

For me, attaching and shaping the track was the most difficult part of the project. Here's how I approached the problem: I glued the track to the bottom of some of the roadwheels. I started the attachment at the center of the bottom of a roadwheel, so that I would not have a joint hanging out in space (both ends of the track would sit against the roadwheel). Using a hair dryer, I carefully applied heat to the track and then gently bent the now-soft track around the drive sprocket. Once the track was shaped to fit around the sprocket, I glued the track to the sprocket. I continued working my way around the suspension, heating, bending, and gluing the track in place. Once I reached the start-point, I carefully trimmed the track so that the two ends fit flush. I repeated this process for the other side. The following pictures depict one completed side of track and the initial stages of the second side:

One side of track formed
Initial stages of forming the second side of track