Help support TMP


25mm Hut from TCS


Round Stick with Hide Roof Urt
Product #
H-41
Manufacturer
Suggested Retail Price
US$5.25 unpainted
US$10.50 painted


Back to Workbench


Revision Log
9 March 2000converted to new format
10 November 1998page first published

Areas of Interest

General
Fantasy
Ancients
Medieval
19th Century

Featured Hobby News Article


Featured Ruleset


Featured Showcase Article

Fighting 15's Teutonic Order Command 1410

Command figures for the 1410 Teutonics.


Featured Profile Article


Current Poll


10,991 hits since 19 Mar 2000
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tactical Conflict Systems makes a product line called Hollow Houses which are - you guessed it! - hollow inside, with removeable roofs. The products vary from the Wild West to African jungles, and are available painted or unpainted. The product we were sent was H-41 (25mm scale, unpainted), Round Wood with Hide Roof Urt.

The product is made of taffy-colored resin, and seems sturdy enough. The hut is a tube roughly 3" across, with walls about 1/4" thick. There is a door and a window, and the timber pattern is deeply scribed. There is no interior detail. The roof piece is a solid dome, flat and smooth on the bottom. (You may think at first that the roof doesn't quite fit the hut, but if you rotate the roof, you can find a position in which the roof fully covers all of the hut.)

two-piece hut

I started by trimming a minor "lip" of resin from the bottom of the roof piece, so that it did not project out further than the furs. (You'll still have a tiny "base" below the furs, but it's minor, and not easily removed without sanding the entire bottom of the piece.) The hut piece had no flash. I then washed the pieces in mild detergent, let them dry, sprayed the bottoms with flat black spray enamel (because I like that look), and primed the visible parts (the top) with flat white spray enamel.

The hut was simple. I painted the outside with a wash of Apple Barrel Burnt Umber, one of my "miracle paints." The inside and top lip was painted with Apple Barrel Brown Oxide, in two coats. I had some problems with the hut. I tried painting it with a very, very, very watery wash of the Burnt Umber, which turned out great and gave me a grey-brown hut that looked like it had been around for a long time. But I had problems getting an even coat, so that the hut looked kind of blotchy with a darker side and a lighter side. (I think the problem might have been an uneven coat of primer...) Touch-ups didn't help, so I finally painted the whole hut with a heavier wash of the same color. I think it looks fine, but my friends say the earlier version was cooler if I could have fixed it.

(If I was to try this project a second time, I'd be tempted to try a dark brown primer coat, then drybrush with a light brown.)

The roof was easy. I decided I wanted a "bleached" look to the furs, so I painted the roof with a light tan wash. I also painted the bottom with Brown Oxide, to match the hut interior. (The interior isn't the highlight of this terrain piece, so my goal was to paint it a dark color and let it fade into the background.)

I finished everything off with the usual coat of clear flat protectant (Testor's Dullcote).

the finished hut