Help support TMP


4 - Adding Fins to the S-Types


GAMILON: S-Type Battleship
Product #
2003
Manufacturer
Suggested Retail Price
US$9.95


Back to "S" STANDS FOR "BATTLESHIP"

Back to Workbench


Revision Log
6 March 2000page split off
17 November 1998page first published

Areas of Interest

Science Fiction

Featured Hobby News Article


Featured Link


Featured Ruleset


Featured Showcase Article

15mm Automaton Heavy Infantry

Automatons with missiles, flamers and mini-guns!


Featured Workbench Article

Building the Veh-Deh-Merd Express

If your tournament is inspired by John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars, you've got to have a train!


Featured Book Review


Featured Movie Review


4,518 hits since 20 Mar 2000
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

When everything else was done, I at last faced one more detail - the photo-etched fins.

The fins are cut out

I used a sharp hobby knife to cut the fins away from their sprue. The design of the sprue left one of the fins with stubs on both sides, which I cut away with my blade. I left the stub at the bottom.

There are holes on the models where the fins are to go, though the holes are much larger than the stubs on the fins. I squeezed a tiny pool of gap-filling superglue (Zap-A-Gap brand) onto my palette, dipped the end of the fin into the glue, then carefully placed the fin in position. I then used a point-ended toothpick to apply a drop of glue to the top and bottom of the fin where they met the hull.

The fins attached

I considered priming the fins, but in the end just painted them Polly S Dark Green like the other fins. It took two coats to get good coverage. I had at first thought that it might look funny to have four fins at the back of the hull, of two different types of metal. The photo-etched fins are obviously of higher quality. What I've learned, however, is that when the ships are on the tabletop, the fins you always see are the photo-etched ones (since they stick out the sides). So it doesn't look bad at all.

(The locator holes for the fins are visible after the fins are glued on. I considered filling them in with superglue and painting them, but realized that for me it wasn't worth the hassle - the defect was nearly invisible on the tabletop.)