Help support TMP


3 - Assembling the Tri-Deck


GAMILON: Tri-Deck Carrier
Product #
2001
Manufacturer
Suggested Retail Price
US$9.95


Back to BUILDING A THREE-DECKER SPACECRAFT

Back to Workbench


Revision Log
7 March 2000converted to new format
6 October 1998page first published

4,379 hits since 19 Mar 2000
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

I studied the diagrams, I dry-fitted the parts together, and I practiced until I thought I was ready to bring in the glue! (I chose to use gap-filling superglue for this project.)

second flight deck attached

The first step (see above) was to attach the second flight deck. I thought it was supposed to fit up against a stub on the right side, and slip against the nub on the left side. In practice, though, this leaves the deck very slightly crooked. (Note how the stripes aren't quite parallel.) So, I think I was supposed to trim more from the left side, so that the deck would slip inside the main hull. But the crookedness is minor, and I think will be hard to see once I add the next deck...

third flight deck attached

It's pretty obvious where the third flight deck goes. The catch here is to line up the inner top of the deck with the main hull, so that the deck lies flat and has some room above the deck below. If you just glue the deck down, the top sits in too far and the deck is angled wrong. As with the previous deck, I use gap-filled superglue not only to attach the piece, but also to fill in gaps around it.

The fourth and last deck simply glues on top of the stack, though I had to look at the photo before I was sure where to place it (to give overhang at the front of the ship, for instance). I thought I had it on straight, but on final inspection discovered that the stripes did not quite run straight...

I attached the "chin" piece next, and the placement was obvious.

That left me with the two small pieces on the separate sprue. These were troublesome, since:

  • I wasn't sure exactly where the pieces ended and the sprue began, and
  • The pieces were different, but I couldn't tell them apart in the diagram, and
  • I couldn't figure out from the diagram exactly where to glue them

So I studied the catalog photo, but I also took a look at the ship diagram in the rulebook and in the new Star Blazers Technical Manual. The two sources seemed to disagree, so I made my best compromise. I decided that I needed some kind of protrusion vertically from the forward left of the top flight deck, and another protrusion horizontally from the right center of the ship (just above the gun bulge). So I guessed where the pieces should end, snipped them off with flush-cutters, and used superglue to attach them to the ship.