Help support TMP


Quickdeath: A Tale of Two Cats


Back to QUICKDEATH BY CYBORGTRUCKERUSA

Back to Workbench


Revision Log
13 February 2008page first published

1,955 hits since 13 Feb 2008
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System is temporarily offline for maintenance. It should be restored shortly.

unknown member of Cyborg Trucker's Wargaming Blog writes:

The green cat started out with a green ink wash, while the other received a purple wash.

Inked
Inked

Once dry, Battle Cat was then drybrushed with Wood Elf Green, and then Shamrock Green. Panthor was drybrushed with Purple, and then Imperial Purple.

I highlighted the sheen on the fur of each Quickdeath respectively with Light Green and Light Purple. Basically, it meant holding up each piece up to the light, and figuring out the spots on each animal where the light blobs fall, and then pick out those area with the lighter colors.

The capture tentacles were drybrushed with Light Green and Light Purple, too. These were covered more heavily than the light sheen highlights.

Next, I moved to the back stripes. On Battle Cat, I started with a base of Bubonic Brown, drawing elongated, narrow diamonds. The same was done on Panthor, using Dark Blue. The Bubonic Brown was then covered in Yellow. For Panthor, instead of covering the Dark Blue, I drew many very thin perpendicular lines of True Blue onto them - this way, there would be some highlighting without making them loud and clashing.

Stripes
Stripes

Inbetween, I gave the base a wash of Brown Ink, and picked out the bare areas with Wood Elf Green. I like to undercoat areas I flock with a complementary color, to keep any worn areas from sticking out over the life of a figure. The inked sand was then drybrushed with Chestnut Brown, and flock added to the green areas.

I then went to work on the eyes. They didn't have the best detail, so I put a dot of Yellow where I thought each of the four eyeballs per cat should be. Once those were dry, I used a red marker to dot the eyes.

Eyes painted
So you don't ruin an expensive pen, you must be sure the paint is dry... or kiss the marker good-bye!

Then I moved on to the teeth, which were drybrushed Bubonic Brown, Yellow, and then Ivory. Each layer was done in a progressively narrow band. This way, the base of the tooth near the gum was more yellowed, and the tooth became progressively lighter towards its point. Lastly, I ran a band of Black around the base of the tooth.

Teeth painted

With the painting done, the Quickdeaths got a coat of Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear and then Krylon Matte Finish to keep them safe versus the dangers of alien jungles.