Rank & File
Rank and File are a set of horse and musket rules that cover the period from 1740 through to 1900. The basic game mechanics are designed to be simple and easy to learn with the aim of being able to play large games within a reasonable time frame.
While the game itself is easy to pick up there are extensive optional and advanced rules as well as period specific rules that allow the game to cater for all tastes as well as being flexible enough to cope with lots of game sizes, scales, figure availability and numbers of players. While the basic D6 mechanics make Rank and File a 'fast play' system that doesn’t mean that important areas of the rules are glossed over or omitted.
Rank and File provide an easy to learn, flexible system for fighting battles throughout the Horse & Musket period. Use the basic rules for a fast play system or add in the optional and advanced rules for more depth and realism.
- Army and force break points mean that battles do not end up with 2 units chasing each other about the field.
- Variable commander quality allows you to represent differing abilities of command and charisma.
- Troop quality ranging from Green to Elite.
- March movement allows troops to come into action speedily when committed rather than plodding across the battlefield.
- Unit cohesion means that troops fighting ability and morale decreases before they will finally break.
- Period specific formation, weapon and manoeuvre restrictions.
- Variable game scales allow units to represent anything from battalion to brigade strength.
- Figures are based in stands but the rules allow you to play with any basing convention so there is no re-basing necessary.
- Further optional rules that include Elephants, Camels, opportunity and counter charges, messengers, ammunition, shock troops, cavalry breakthrough and many others.
– catalog listing
- Mark Sims
- Crusader Publishing
- In Print
- Available online (Wargame Vault) (64-page PDF)
Back to RULES DIRECTORY
Areas of Interest18th Century
American Civil War
Featured Hobby News Article
Featured Recent Link
Featured Showcase Article
Featured Profile Article
Our Man in Southern California, Wyatt the Odd, reports on the Gamex 2005 convention.
Horse & Musket Rules 1740-1900
The American Civil War supplement for Rank & File includes a historical background to the war as well as game aids that can be used with any rules system.
There are optional and period specific rules as well as detailed weapon statistics, command ratings and army organisation.
Almost 1000 leader ratings for both sides of the conflict and army lists that are broken down by theatre and year allow players to design their own scenarios, create balanced forces for pick up games or calculate troop quality and strength for historical battles.
This supplement adds a further level of detail to the command and control aspect of Rank & File with a comprehensive order system that takes account of leader ratings, orders issued, distances and staff quality. Optional army morale rules allow large or small games to be played to a definite conclusion within an evening. This allows players to game larger conflicts with all of the problems and uncertainty of command that was a factor in so many ACW battles.
While much of the material included is of use with any rules system a copy of the Rank & File rules are required to gain the most from this supplement.
– catalog listing