Help support TMP

"Wargame Population USA" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please avoid recent politics on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Hobby Industry Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Showcase Article

Lemax Christmas Trees

It's probably too late already this season to snatch these bargains up...

Featured Book Review

1,677 hits since 17 Jan 2007
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Fifty417 Jan 2007 8:49 a.m. PST

I dug up an old study by WOTC on the US gaming population. You can find it here:
link

What's interesting is the # WOTC has assigned to wargamers:

Size: 4% play or have played MWGs (~3.7 million people)
2% play monthly (~1.8 million people)

Crossover: 37% play tabletop RPGs
40% play computer RPGs
29% play TCGs

The age breakdown of players within the marketplace is:

Age TRPG MWG CRPG All Gamers(*)
12-15 23% 27% 23% 11%
16-18 18% 17% 16% 7%
19-24 25% 24% 23% 13%
25-35 34% 32% 37% 29%

I don't think that large a number has been bandied about before?

Fifty417 Jan 2007 8:51 a.m. PST

And are 21% of the visitors to TMP female as well?

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian17 Jan 2007 8:55 a.m. PST

I estimate, based on personal experience, that there are @ 1 per 1,000 in the local population.

The 4% figure "rings true" when you caveat the play or have played.

Fifty417 Jan 2007 9:01 a.m. PST

But 1/1000 is 1/10th of 1%? Not 2%?

With the US at 300M -- that gives us 300K wargamers on a monthly basis.

Lee Brilleaux Fezian17 Jan 2007 9:03 a.m. PST

It's also worth noting that there is no possibility than anyone can possibly be over 35.

Again, I think that we see that the mass entertainment end of the gaming industry has far more in common with the toy industry than with Donald Featherstone.

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian17 Jan 2007 9:04 a.m. PST

I think the critical issue with the 4% is the "have played".

I live in a town of 15,000 and in 1 year have met 10 other gamers. One is a history teacher that has a game group several times a semester. Of that group I would estimate that 2-3 per year continue as gamers, of the 10-12 active kids.

Phillip Forge17 Jan 2007 9:30 a.m. PST

Last year Tom Kirby claimed that 750,000 people world-wide regularly played GW games. He also said that 8 – 10% of UK males had some form of interest in the GW aspect of the hobby.

Fifty417 Jan 2007 9:48 a.m. PST

I wonder what "interest" means?

Personal logo BrigadeGames Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Jan 2007 10:09 a.m. PST

the UK has a much higher percentage of wargamers than the USA.

John Leahy Supporting Member of TMP17 Jan 2007 10:30 a.m. PST

Which makes sense. They are geograhically much more condensed than in the USA. I would think that the USA totals are probably much larger simply based on our size?

Thanks,

John

Meiczyslaw17 Jan 2007 10:37 a.m. PST

It's also worth noting that there is no possibility than anyone can possibly be over 35.

Take a look at those numbers again -- only 60% of all gamers fall in the age range between 12 and 35.

I think the real problem is that those are the guys (and gals) who haven't become set in their ways; the ones that marketing types like because you can get their money.

Those of us who are over 35 are supposed to have certain brand loyalties. I'm not entirely sure I believe that -- unless we were to define "brand" as our period and genre.

Fifty417 Jan 2007 11:37 a.m. PST

Brand loyalty is out the window these days. There's too much choice and it's too easy to change (no matter what the product is)

I am "loyal" to some brands -- but not the way say my great-grandparents were loyal to Buick.

Perris070717 Jan 2007 3:28 p.m. PST

One in a thousand. Wow. Does that make us an "elite" or just "geeks"…

War gaming in my family runs at 50% though.

Boone Doggle17 Jan 2007 5:18 p.m. PST

I'd be VERY surprised if 2% played miniature wargames monthly.

I'd even be surprised if 2% played strategic boardgames monthly and that is a much larger market.

I suspect, like all voluntary response postal surveys, those who responded were who had an interest in the topic being survey, skewing the results heavily.

Hastati18 Jan 2007 3:39 a.m. PST

I don't know, it rings true to me. I gave a talk on wargaming to my son's 5th grade class last year (so 10-11 year olds) here in Brussels. EVERY single boy in the class had heard of GW and seen either a 40K, LOTR, or WH miniature before. About a quarter of the boys either had played at least once, were playing, or knew someone who played, often an older sibling. Personally, I was gobsmacked. Oh yeah, over half of the girls had also heard of GW and seen one of their figures. The main thing that got them interested was the nice historical miniatures I brought along in addition to the GW stuff.

(Change Name)28 Jan 2007 9:45 a.m. PST

At least in the U.K., GW seems to have a shop on the high street of most cities. I was even surprised to see one on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.

Most U.S. cities do not have such a conspicuous city center. The GW stores tend to be located in strip malls in the suburbs. There are so many strip malls, that it is real easy not to see the GW store(s) that may exist in a given metropolitan area. I have not been to the one in Denver, and am not even exactly sure where it is located. But then again, if you have seen one GW store you have seen them all.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.