Help support TMP

"Best Female Miniatures?" Topic

33 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Superhero Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

10,304 hits since 23 Sep 2006
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Ravenstar Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2006 8:26 p.m. PST

Who do you think makes the best Female Scultures and Why?
it can be a Sculptor or company. give examples if you can.

ZandrisIV Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Sep 2006 8:47 p.m. PST

Kev of Hasslefree ( hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk )

- Females have generally very good proportions and interesting variation in sculpts. Faces are *very* well done and actually display a range of expressions other than the 'snarling' and 'staring into the distance' ones ever so popular with other sculptors.

- Does the best 'modern' era females, without a doubt.

- However, the amount of detailing on the models is on the sparse (It's where it needs to be, but don't look here if you want girls with intricately carven armor), a good point in my book, but YMMV.

Werner Klocke (Freebooter Miniatures, Reaper Miniatures)

- Female faces are exquisite, and general level of sculpting skill and eye for detail is excellent. Very creative as well, especially with the armor and styling. However, sculpts tend to suffer from the 'smiling serenely' expression that I described earlier.

- Bad point of Klocke's sculpting is that his faces tend to be very similiar to each other. Something like anime, where all the females look alike, just swap the hair and clothes around for variation. Not necessarily a bad thing, but YMMV again.

Majority of Japanese Sculptors (www.hlj.com, hobbyfan.com)

- Since you're talking about sculptures, I won't limit myself to miniatures. For anything bigger than 54mm scale, the Japanese win in the female sculpting department. Sure, most of their sculpts tend to be of anime characters, but the insane levels of detail you can find of some of them would put a lot other sculptors to shame.

- Bad points would be the largely anime-ish theme of virtually all the models, and if you look hard enough, you can find some *truly* dodgy and disturbing ones. And of course, none of them do 28mm.

Hope this helps, cheers…

bandit86 Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2006 9:15 p.m. PST

Have to agree with ZANDRIS Kev white is one of my Favs love fis stuff. Mark coppelstone is also a fav of mine nice Modern figures with nice faces. Did I say Kev White of Hasslefree oh yeah I did. Shadow forge has some very nice females some say they are cartoony but I like them. Of course I am just talking about 25mm-30mm. There are a bunch more I just can't think of them right now. But I'll say that on any sculpt the face is the most important to me. Happy Painting.

Ravenstar Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2006 9:52 p.m. PST

helps greatly , thank you guys .

bandit86 Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2006 10:25 p.m. PST

What are you looking for RAVENSTAR?

Personal logo CmdrKiley Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2006 10:26 p.m. PST

Have to agree with Zandris also!!!

Chrono HAL Fezian Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 12:06 a.m. PST

Neil Holloway of ShadowForge
shadowforge.com.au

Banana Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 12:45 a.m. PST

Werner Klocke would get my vote , but Mark Copplestone (Copplestone Castings) would be a very close second.

Personal logo Dances With Words Supporting Member of TMP Fezian24 Sep 2006 1:32 a.m. PST

Depends on WHAT you're looking for in a female fig…Kev White, of course…does superb work…(even sells sprues of alternate/varied FEMALE HEADS 2 sets of human 1 female elf sprue, two male sprues and orks and goblins??? (if you want to sculpt your own body/swap heads with other figures…

David Soderquist/Bronze Age Minis also has a fine line of various female figures and male and even GENERICS that can work well with Kev's 'head sprues'…for even MORE 'variety'…Reaper has loads of decent figs…(I like the Ridolfi? fems myself)…and they have OODLES of 'detail'…

Which brings up the point…how much DETAIL do you want/how much detail in a figure is 'too much'??? (especially for painting???). Some like the more 'simplified' lines of Copplestone or slightly more of Shadowforge or some less/some more…then, there is the Magnificent Egos/Tom Meyer school of sculpting!!!

Werner, Julie G., Sandy, and several more…all have done some fab fems…John Winter, Dominique Seys/Fenryll, Gullermo Centeno of Trifon/Argentina….

You can find something from someone for about any 'genre'/scale you want…it's determining WHAT you want that is the real question???

Carpe' Infinite Diversity thru Infinate Combinations (in fems and sculptors!)…

Sgt DWW

Psychotic Storm Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 2:59 a.m. PST

There are too many, and the question is too vague, Kev White is good Werner is also good, Andrea produces quite some good sculpts so does Corvus Belli and I have not even started mentioning some manga garage models sculptors.

You better state scale, type and approximately era.

For example 28mm, armored, science fiction, or 54mm, warrior, fantasy or 28mm, casual/naked, modern ectr.

Doc Perverticus Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 6:18 a.m. PST

nobody's mentioned Tom Meier yet? whats wrong with you folks?
link

bandit86 Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2006 6:21 a.m. PST

Well Doc like I said above "there are more but I can't think of them all" LOL I am sure we could name tons

Ravenstar Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2006 7:47 a.m. PST

well I'm pretty much looking for what most have meantion here. I have lot of the run way model looking Warrior women and some town folks.but I was wanting something with either the softer look , a more realistic look in body type and some that have the Frazetta feel.

mweaver Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 7:54 a.m. PST

Kloke, Meier, and White (listed in alphabetical order) are my favorites for the ladies.

Jana Wang Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 9:11 a.m. PST

I *want* to like Hasslefree's stuff, but after painting a couple of them I have to say they aren't my favorite and I probably won't buy any more. Great *ideas* on the sculpting, but the 'helmet hair' is bitch to paint, and the mold lines across the face on some of them is just a really stupid thing to do.

I'm a Julie Guthrie fan. Great proportions, original poses, stays in scale, captures the female form realistically, and always a beautiful sculpt. It's a shame to paint them, really.

Tom Meier's got great sculpts and amazing detail, but his faces always look angry to me, and I find some of the poses too static.

I'm coming to like Klocke more and more with his recent stuff. I thought his earlier Reaper sculpts were chunky. Lately I've been seeing some really good dynamic poses and creative detailing. Zandris makes a good point about the faces though.

Ravenstar Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2006 9:29 a.m. PST

I just ordered a few Tom Meier's sculpts last night and will order a few from hasslefrees this week , although I don't like th esound of a seam line across the face at all . which mini was that JW? what I'm looking for is more for single model builds and or Dioramas and less for gaming . I understand what you mean about some sculpts having a angry look , or what I would consider a hard look.
I would like to find some nice sculpts with a softer look.
and finally Julie Guthrie is the Queen of mini sculpts..

Personal logo Rogzombie Supporting Member of TMP Fezian24 Sep 2006 9:40 a.m. PST

I dont know if you're into larger scale but Pegaso's female figures are incredible.

Ravenstar Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2006 9:53 a.m. PST

Yea I have been looking into thier line and will be ordering a bunch of them . I'm first looking to see who in the states carry thier line .

Neotacha Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 9:59 a.m. PST

In no particular order:

Tom Meier of Thunderbolt Mountain, because they are always proportionate. I'd love to see him do a less sober face, but at least his women look reasonable.

Kevin White of Hasslefree. I'm with Jana on the hair thing, not being the world's best painter, but for the most part his sculpts are interesting. And he has, on occasion, done larger women with bodies in scale to themselves.

Julie Guthrie. I've always loved her sculpts from Grenadier. I was delighted to find her sculpting for Reaper.

Werner Klocke. Nice, dynamic sculpts now. If only his women would stop staring at their breasts in bemusement, they'd be absolutely wonderful.

Sandra Garrity. I know folks hate the '80s hair, but at least her women look like women, and don't suffer over-much from Barbie syndrome and Pneumatic Breast trauma. More often than not they are decently dressed, rather than risk full-body sunburn or frostbitten tummies.

I don't know who did the pirate women for Eureka, but I like them.

BlackWidowPilot Supporting Member of TMP Fezian24 Sep 2006 12:40 p.m. PST

Julie Guthrie. AFAICR she introduced the very first *consistent* line of *realistic* female figures -ever- to miniatures gamers. Her work is simply superb IMHO (and she's actually quite a nice person, as I had the privledge and honor of meeting her many years ago at LA Origins. Imagine that, a sculptor who would actually talk to a fan and *listen* to what they had to say! Scandalous! LOL!)…

Sandy Garrity is another artist whose female minis are oh-so realistic for much the same reasons of anatomical accuracy.

In the larger 28mm style, the works coming from Hasslefree Miniatures jump to mind, especially their Nubian gals, who look like realistic and very believable African cuties, rather than unfortunate caricatures like so many similar figures before them.

Obelisk Miniatures by Josef Ochmann is another, whose modern Chicana "gangstars" are to this native Northern Californian's eyes spot-on in both anatomy, dress, and 'tudes. His African fantasy Amazons are also very well executed indeed, as are Mark Copplestone's efforts.

Quite honestly, our industry has come a very loooooong way in the past 30+ years when it comes to variety and accuracy of female subjects, and we're all the richer for it.

Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
metal-express.net

Avalokitesvara Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 1:51 p.m. PST

The Frazetta type females are pretty scarce in 28 mm. Kev White is the one who comes closest to them in 28 mm (some of his figures at least).
Apart from those specifics I agree there are to many to list.
Neil Holloways Shadow forge sculpts though I would NOT count. Bodywise yes but what IS the man doing with the mouths???

jizbrand Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 4:00 p.m. PST

"I don't know who did the pirate women for Eureka, but I like them."

I've not seen them credited on Eureka's site. But from the style and physical comparison to his other work, I'm guessing that they're done by Neil Holloway (Shadowforge).

And yes, some of the mouths are a bit . . . odd. But overall, I quite like them — easy to paint, sufficient detail. It is like they were scuplted by a painter for painters.

Jana Wang Inactive Member24 Sep 2006 6:16 p.m. PST

Ravenstar, the two with lines on the face (out of the handful I bought) are the harem girl, and Maria. The Eve, Hanako, and one other I can't recall, were fine.

Ravenstar Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2006 6:28 p.m. PST

thanks , I'll keep them in mind.

Psychotic Storm Inactive Member25 Sep 2006 1:14 a.m. PST

Jana, why don't you try to contact hasslefree?
None of the models I ordered from them had any problem, it might have been from their recent miscast order, they spotted it but not before a few blisters got send.

Jana Wang Inactive Member25 Sep 2006 8:19 a.m. PST

If the figures had been miscast, I may have, but these were _designed_ with mold seams across the face. There's always going to be a line there, to some degree, no matter when it's cast.

Colonel Hairy Haggis Inactive Member25 Sep 2006 11:45 a.m. PST

IMHO, Master sculptor Bobby Jackson makes the best females ever! I love the way Bobby's sculpts seem like REAL people.

Just a fans 2 cents worth.

As always at your service,

Colonel Hairy Haggis

Steve O Inactive Member26 Sep 2006 3:41 p.m. PST

we have a lot of kev white female sculpts here at celtos

brigademodels.co.uk

Darkson Designs Inactive Member27 Sep 2006 1:15 a.m. PST

"Yea I have been looking into thier line and will be ordering a bunch of them . I'm first looking to see who in the states carry thier line ."

R&K Productions carries Pegaso in the states.

r-kproductions.com

Cheers,
Robert

Multiple scale war gamer Inactive Member27 Sep 2006 5:14 a.m. PST

Jana Wahg said:

"…Tom Meier's got great sculpts and amazing detail, but his faces always look angry to me…"

Well, if these are fantasy warrior/wizards/thieves types (I am a 6mm guy primarily so I am not too famialr with these in detail) I think life would be hard (attacked by Goblin hordes, village scoured by a dragon, Zombie in the alley at night – just another day in the 'hood) and an 'angry' look might be normal in combat?

That said, most figures are in what I will call 'combat' poses. If he makes them in non-combat poses also (I think he does) then laughing, smiling, sober, and even crying faces would certainly be nice.

Gracias,

Glenn

PaintMinion Inactive Member27 Sep 2006 6:30 a.m. PST

Hula Girl at Crunch Waffles is awesome to paint! It's a Tom Meier sculpt. I'm also very very fond of the Dark Sword Miniatures females. Variety and mostly well sculpted. I have eyes issues with them and some faces could have better structure, but they are detailed and nice looking. I've painted mostly elves for Thunderbolt, so I can say that I still like them a lot, too.

When I first started gaming, I was very dissapointed to find that female figures were either dull and boring or ugly. Let's not even discuss what was offered as a female dwarf back then! Julie Guthrie and Sandra Garrity came along with wonderful female figures that I collected and the only blisters I own that are signed by the scultors and may never see paint. ;-)

The Beast Rabban Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2006 11:04 a.m. PST

I go with Klocke and Kev, too.

I always HATED Julie Guthrie's pre-Reaper style. Her 'realistic proportions' in true 25mm were a *&#@ to paint, the detailing was so fine and shallow! In 54mm, great, but at smaller scales, bad.

~Mike

Covert Walrus Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2006 1:03 a.m. PST

Kev White's stuff for the GZG Stargrunt range is very nice; Natural proportions, some even heavier builds, and all with the same uniform kit as the males in the same armies.

I actually like a lot of the Reaper female figures as well, the dwarves and Halflings being less charicatures tahn some companies versions. After all, a petite female can be equisitly proportioned even if small, and some of the Reaper little women are real Vest-Pocket Venuses :)

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.