Help support TMP

"WW1 Trench Diorama" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Painting Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Discussion Message Board

3,551 hits since 7 Jan 2006
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

overlord awc Inactive Member07 Jan 2006 9:40 a.m. PST

I am finally getting around to photographing some of my miniatures. Here is a gallery of a First World War trench scene that I built for the club annual painting competition.

Figures are the Foundry Interrogation set. Pretty much everything else is scratchbuilt.

link

jgawne07 Jan 2006 10:08 a.m. PST

HA! The rat! Great Stuff.

Although the one officer does slightly look like Herr Hitler…

Don Johnson Inactive Member07 Jan 2006 11:57 a.m. PST

Excellent work – good concept, good execution, good painting, and the rat adds just the right touch!

My only other comment is this: if this is meant to be a permanent display, perhaps cutting the bases off the figures, and pinning them to the scene, would have allowed you to make a more realistic floor.

I admit this is a matter of personal taste, but my eye is somewhat distracted from an otherwise great story (all good dioramas should tell a story, per Shep Paine, and this one does) by the irregular floorboard placement necessitated by having to work around the bases.

To use an American football analogy, it's like driving all the way to the 2-yard line, then not scoring. The effort was there, but the goal was not realized. And the "fix" is easy to do – if you can build this scene, cutting the figs free from their bases, and rearranging the floor, has to be well within your skill range.

Overlord, I do like the dio, and let's not overlook the fact that you completed this scene, took very good photos, and posted them for all of us to enjoy. Congrats for all of that. I have several unfinished scenes littering my workbench, and no scenes posted on the web, so my hat is off to you.

Don

overlord awc Inactive Member07 Jan 2006 12:29 p.m. PST

Thanks for your comments Don. Your opinion is almost exactly the same as my own.

The reality is that I was in a big hurry to finish it as I was working to a deadline. I had intended to remove the cast-on figure bases but had to choose between not entering it at all or (as I did) compromising on the finished model.

Ever since I built it (around 3 years ago) I have hated the look of those bases and intended to rework it to my (and your!) satisfaction. As yet I havent managed it….maybe one day!

Personal logo Lentulus Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2006 5:07 p.m. PST

When I saw the first image, I thought "where does he have the rat?"

Lovely stuff.

wowelld Inactive Member08 Feb 2006 4:14 a.m. PST

wow that is the most kick ass diorama i have ever seen, good work, xxxx

Personal logo oldbob Supporting Member of TMP08 Feb 2006 10:39 a.m. PST

Very nice work indeed; but that one guy reminds me of The Black Adder!

bluewillow08 Feb 2006 5:14 p.m. PST

well done overlord very nice,

same here oldbob, anyone for a Cappuccino?

cheers

Matt

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.