Help support TMP

"Rename the USS John C. Stennis!" Topic

20 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember that some of our members are children, and act appropriately.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Warfare (2012-present) Message Board

Areas of Interest

Modern

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Cheap Buys: London Taxi from Matchbox

"Hefty" metal die-cast cars are cheap this time of year.

Featured Workbench Article

Deconstructing a Toy Car

Sometimes, you have to take it apart, so you can put it back together again.

Featured Book Review

802 hits since 23 Nov 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian23 Nov 2021 6:20 a.m. PST

You were asked – TMP link

Should the USS John C. Stennis be renamed, considering the known beliefs of the man for whom the ship is named?

46% said "yes, rename the ship"
23% said "no, do not rename the ship"
14% said "it is bad luck to rename a ship"

Personal logo Cardinal Ximenez Supporting Member of TMP23 Nov 2021 4:29 p.m. PST

Sure. Combine it with a campaign to rename Yale University.

Legion 423 Nov 2021 5:54 p.m. PST

😲

Personal logo Cardinal Ximenez Supporting Member of TMP23 Nov 2021 6:22 p.m. PST

For that matter why is Wilson's name still on the I-95/I-495 bridge in DC. Is it a memorial to the president who resegregated the US armed forces? Screened Birth of a Nation at the White House?

Bunkermeister Supporting Member of TMP23 Nov 2021 6:35 p.m. PST

We honor our historical figures not for the bad things they did but for the good things. George Washington owned slaves but he freed other Americans from the British. Lee fought for Virginia during the Civil War but he fought the war with honor and surrendered and ended the war rather than fight on in an insurgency, he did good work after the war. Crazy Horse fought against the US Army but he is part of our common heritage as Americans and so we should celebrate his bravery and loyalty to his people. We need to take the focus off the things that divide us and focus on celebrating our American history together.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek

Stryderg23 Nov 2021 8:07 p.m. PST

You need to get with the new paradigm, we cancel people for a single slip up. No mercy, no grace, no forgiveness, just vengeance and shame.

We should rename it the USS City of Lights, has a nice, non-threatening, ticking off the check-boxes kind of vibe.

Striker23 Nov 2021 10:15 p.m. PST

Nope "City of Lights" perpetuates the light pollution problem and is a nod to big electricity and their coal polluting pals. Just start naming them "ship 1", "ship 2", etc.

Mr Steve24 Nov 2021 3:07 a.m. PST

Don't think you can do that either. All the sails-persons not on Ship 1 will feel inferior and undervalued and will therefore need prolonged and extensive counselling rendering the rest of the fleet in-operative.

Zyphyr24 Nov 2021 8:30 a.m. PST

We can always go with Ship 1, Ship A, Ship Alpha, Ship Aleph, etc…

Andy ONeill24 Nov 2021 10:13 a.m. PST

Ship 1; Ship 1; Ship 1
There are no losers, only winners.
Everyone is equal

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP24 Nov 2021 10:30 a.m. PST

It was a horrible idea to name ships after persons. We have plenty of great Carrier names to choice from already.

Tortorella Supporting Member of TMP24 Nov 2021 10:33 a.m. PST

We have plenty of ordinary sailors who have given their lives for us in action, made heroic sacrifices. Those are the names to honor. They would inspire people to serve and understand commitment. Then it would not be a joke either.

Stryderg24 Nov 2021 11:06 a.m. PST

Hmm. Yes I see the problem. I think Tortorella has a great solution.

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian24 Nov 2021 11:26 a.m. PST

How about "the 8th Newport News Nuclear Carrier".

Robert Burke24 Nov 2021 7:18 p.m. PST

Bunkermeister, you make way too much sense for the modern day.

Heedless Horseman24 Nov 2021 8:36 p.m. PST

Why fixate on naming ships after persons? There is a multitude of possible names for ships… or bases… which are apolitical in any context.
States, Cities, Districts… many have a fine record of service already.
Native Fauna… Grizzly, Lynx, Cougar…down to the Critters… (Some candidates for those! lol).
Flora… Sequoia, Bristlecone, Sage, Saguaro…
Avians… Bald Eagle down to small craft names.
Geography… Mountains, Lakes, Rivers…
Atmospheric phenomina…
Etc.
To Honour persons, they could be adopted as a 'Motivator'…
"This Ship / Base Honours the Service of…" internally, special to the personnel.
Well, just some thoughts.

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP24 Nov 2021 8:47 p.m. PST

I'm with Tortorella.

Too bad the Royal Navy took all the good adjectives. If we went that way, we'd be stuck with the USS Peculiar.

Zephyr124 Nov 2021 8:52 p.m. PST

Ships should be able to choose their own names! /sarcasm off ;-p

Legion 425 Nov 2021 6:28 p.m. PST

We have plenty of ordinary sailors who have given their lives for us in action, made heroic sacrifices. Those are the names to honor.
That makes too much sense … And there is no political capital with certain groups.

Prince Alberts Revenge26 Nov 2021 4:53 p.m. PST

I don't like the fact any naval ship is named after a politician. If the politician served in the military and earned it for some feat of gallantry that would be another matter. I don't recall Stennis serving in the military.

I'd prefer ships not to be named after individuals at all but if you must then do it for those that were actually in the Navy.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.