Help support TMP

"28mm Middle Earth - the 20th Anniversary Project" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not post offers to buy and sell on the main forum.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 28mm Fantasy Message Board

Areas of Interest

Fantasy

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Armorcast's Chaos Totem

A fun Chaos project suitable for novice painters.

Featured Workbench Article

Adam Paints Some Lady Pirates

Adam loves Scorched Brown...

Current Poll

489 hits since 2 Apr 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

SBminisguy02 Apr 2021 7:33 p.m. PST

So this is the 20th anniversary of the release of the movies "The Fellowship of the Ring," so I finally moved my Middle Earth project onto the front burner. It is my goal this year to paint and field several 28mm Middle Earth factions and get some games in using the Dux Arda fan mod rules for the Dux Britanniarum Dark Ages rules from Too Fat Lardies. The factions I have on hand to paint up and field include:

1. The Dwarves of Erebor and the Iron Hills: Dark Ages dwarves from Conqueror Models and older Vendel (Thistle and Rose) miniatures.

2. Men of the West: Various Romano-British and Saxon figures (Gripping Beast and Artizan) to assemble the Fyrd of Bree and the Greenways of Eriador, including some Dunedain Rangers and Hobbit archers.

3. Orcs of the Misty Mountains: Primarily an collection of nice sculpts from Ral Partha that have been sitting around needing some paint and love. I'll use some Wargames Factory 28mm plastic Orcs for the more "organized" Orcs of Gundabad, Mordor and Isengard.

4. Dunledings: I would prefer 28mm Dark Ages Picts, but happen to have some 28mm Ancient Germanics from Wargames Foundry that will do nicely.

5. Custom decals I made up in Photoshop, and then printed by Little Metal Spaceships.

6. Combo of MDF and 3D printed terrain for villages and Middle Earth ruins and such.

The first completed faction is Durin's Folk the Dwarves of Erebor and the Iron Hills (with painting help from Russell Levy!). This 50-figure force is designed around a Shield Wall of heavy Spear, supported by units of one-hand and two-hand weapons, and some Crossbow figures for missile support.

YouTube link

sbminisguy.wordpress.com

Huscarle03 Apr 2021 1:57 a.m. PST

Very nice, and off to a good start too. I have some of those Conqueror dwarves (unpainted) in hiding somewhere grin

The H Man Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2021 2:39 a.m. PST

I prefer on the GW movie range.

That said. The fellowship line was great. Less no plastic Mordor orcs option, as to field enough metals ones was expensive. You had metal options for all plastics which is always good.

Some quality dropped by the last movie and spin off figures. Then finerubbish and nonsense prices and "that" dragon (let's call him a dragon), made the hobbit suffer, a lot.

But still with the movies in mind, GW is hard to beat (at least on this subject).

SBminisguy03 Apr 2021 8:39 a.m. PST

GW is hard to beat (at least on this subject).

I may use some GW figures for unique minis, but their basic plastic box sets are cost equivalent to historicals that do just nicely, and their leader figures are crazy expensive. Plus I have most of these figures in hand from unfinished projects, and can repurpose some as historical dark ages factions by swapping out banners and some units with shields.

CPBelt04 Apr 2021 3:34 p.m. PST

I have some metal GW box sets and blisters from the first Fellowship game, the green rulebook. I never opened them, and now never will. They go for even stupider prices now!

I bought and sold the Fellowship box plastics twice and the Moria set once. I'm just pathetic at getting anything done other than making paper Warmaster armies. (I'm too obsessed with collecting cards for Magic the Gathering! BTW they will be releasing an official LotR set later this year.)

Love the custom decals. Will keep this tucked in my brain. Minis look great. The old Vendel minis have that LotR vibe. Good historical choices also. Subscribed on YouTube and the blog.

Saxondog05 Apr 2021 3:10 p.m. PST

The only GW game I ever liked was their LOTR game. Got a couple hundred but haven't played in 6ish years…… but looking at these dwarves got the gears turning. and turning…… and after the vacation coming in a month or so….. might have to go back in.

Correction…. I liked some of the board games they did back in the 80s……

Lucius05 Apr 2021 6:35 p.m. PST

I bought a lot of the first GW LOTR. It was the first line of military massed army orcs that I'd liked since my Der K's.

The Perry Twins doing orcs. What's not to like?

McLovin06 Apr 2021 4:44 a.m. PST

Really nice start. I look forward to seeing your future work.

Stalkey and Co09 Apr 2021 5:26 a.m. PST

hard to believe it has been 20 years!

The Vendel figures have always been a soft spot for me. Style is a bit old school, but there are some advantages to it. I understand that the new LOTR sculpts are very realistic and look just like the movie characters / actors, but the Vendels stand out on the table nicely. Not only did they have great pics at the old Vendel site, but here's some that another guy did and you can see how well they turn out:

link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.