Help support TMP

"Cleaning up GF9's Desert Oasis (BB537)" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Remember that you can Stifle members so that you don't have to read their posts.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Showcase Article

Elmer's Xtreme School Glue Stick

Is there finally a gluestick worth buying for paper modelers?

Featured Workbench Article

15mm Base Contouring Round-Up: Four Materials

Can any of these products cure the dreaded "wedding cake" effect?

Featured Profile Article

First Impressions of the Craft ROBO

I spend my first day with a paper-cutting machine.

Current Poll

441 hits since 1 Apr 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 8 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

blackjack07101 Apr 2021 5:54 p.m. PST

I had a nasty surprise when I pulled this terrain piece out of storage. Part of the packaging – the plastic bag – had left a sticky residue on parts of the piece. I ended up cleaning the piece the old fashioned way – warm soap and water. It took a few washings, but I cleaned off enough of the residue so that the piece doesn't feel tacky to the touch. I may end up repainting it to cover up what remains. I'll also be checking the condition of the rest of the terrain I have stored away.

Cleaning up Gale Force Nine's Battlefield in a Box: Desert Oasis (BB537) at the Over the Hill Gaming Blog

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP01 Apr 2021 7:03 p.m. PST

It ended up looking nice, so good recovery.

BTCTerrainman Supporting Member of TMP01 Apr 2021 7:14 p.m. PST

I doubt that the plastic bag left a residue. More likely it was from the resin in my experience. As long as it cleaned up okay. Make sure you store it on some paper towel or something for a while in case it produces more.

Bronco Betty02 Apr 2021 11:07 a.m. PST

It sounds like the resin is "weeping", because the mix was a little off when it was poured. It may keep doing this for a while and if it does ;you can sumetimes wick it out faster by dusting it with talcum posder.

BB

blackjack07103 Apr 2021 1:01 p.m. PST

This is my first time running into something like this with resin. I'll try dusting it with talcum powder and wrapping it with parchment paper when it goes back into storage.

BTCTerrainman Supporting Member of TMP06 Apr 2021 2:00 p.m. PST

blackjack071: Unfortunately this can happen with resin, and has probably happened to all of us resin casters at least once. As mentioned it usually comes from an improperly mixed batch from the best I can tell. The problem is that it usually does not show up until much later, so quality control usually will not catch it.

Try storing it as you mentioned and see how it works. I have never found a "final fix" for this problem except to replace the product. I have it happen to buildings that I painted which is so sad.

Best of luck.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.