Help support TMP

"Links Directory 3.0" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not use bad language on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the TMP Talk Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Showcase Article

Transporting the Simians

How to store and transport an army of giant apes?

Featured Profile Article

First Impressions of the Craft ROBO

I spend my first day with a paper-cutting machine.

2,517 hits since 25 Feb 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian26 Feb 2021 12:23 a.m. PST

Over the years, TMP has maintained various listings of useful websites.

Of course, in the old days, everything was hand-coded. The original Links page is still around, believe it or not: TMP link

That version was replaced by a database-driven Links Directory 2.0 in 2001.

That has now been replaced by Links Directory 3.0 TMP link

Changes include:
* when an article is part of a larger website, that website's homepage is now clearly listed
* if the owner is a TMP member, that can be listed
* if a link is submitted by a TMP member, they can be credited too
* links can now include a photo
* links from the Links Directory are now featured in the TMP sidebar on most of our webpages (not always, it's random), filtered for relevancy (i.e., ACW links on ACW pages)

All of the links from version 2.0 have been imported to version 3.0. Well, the ones that were still valid. grin

One day, we may import the ones from version 1.0 and then retire that version.

One of the reasons for updating the Links Directory is that we feel it is a good alternative to posting links in the forum. When people post links in the forum, they don't always post all of the proper information. In the Links Directory, all the information is provided.

Two examples might be useful.

Let's say that a blog owner posts a link on the forum to his recent article about painting minis. He provides a brief description of his article, a link, and probably a few photo links. Experience tells us that this is the type of forum topic that is likely to lead to some discussion, including questions and compliments. This is a useful post on the forum, and can also be listed in the Links Directory.

Now let's say that a TMP member posts a link to a blog article from 2 years ago that's recently caught his attention. The post is more "look at this!" than a real discussion starter, and from experience, we know that this type of post is less likely to lead to a forum discussion, partly because people know they aren't interacting with the actual author. We feel that in most cases, this type of 'information' forum post is perceived to clutter the forum, and is best replaced by instead adding the link to the Links Directory.

The intention is to promote the forum for discussions, and the Links Directory for informational links.

TMP staff will harvest links from the forum when possible, and copy them to the Link Directory (crediting the poster as the submitter). Forum posts which did not result in discussion may be deleted, unless from the author himself.

When the author gives permission, a photo can be associated with the link. Otherwise, a screenshot will be used.

The site FAQ has been updated also. TMP link

JAFD2626 Feb 2021 3:48 a.m. PST

This is truly dumb question, and I apologize for taking up your time.

A while back I read a page on TMP listing the common wargaming & modelling scales, fractional and decimal equivalents, etc, etc.

Was trying to find it this morn, couldn't.

Mayhaps you could add link to 'front page' ToC or site map ?

Personal logo 15mm and 28mm Fanatik Supporting Member of TMP26 Feb 2021 10:34 a.m. PST

You mean this one?

TMP link

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP27 Feb 2021 8:17 p.m. PST

I like it. I immediately found an AWI scenario I don't have.

JAFD2628 Feb 2021 3:46 a.m. PST

Salutations, Fanatik !

Thanks very much !

Bismarck28 Feb 2021 10:46 a.m. PST

Bill,
Sadly, it appears that one cannot comment on the link or if you and the other editors missed it before it is moved, the response is deleted. What a waste of lost information and
discussion. I know, your game, your rules, but this decision
will be a detriment to this site. Bill, I feel this will
have a negative effect here on TMP and within the wargaming
community.

Sam

Sgt Slag03 Mar 2021 7:40 a.m. PST

+1 Bismarck. I am not in favor of it. If someone posts something on the Internet, it is in the public domain for access. If someone else claims authorship/credit, that is an IP violation. Sharing it, is not. That is fandom, and it is blatant promotion of the material. How is that bad? They put it on the Internet, making it public, to the entire World! Makes no sense to me. Cheers!

mquarmby05 Mar 2021 2:13 a.m. PST

@Bill, reading your example above, I think this Link stuff is going to just as subjective as what it is trying to replace, with the added cost of being less usable.

Personal logo 15mm and 28mm Fanatik Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2021 9:24 a.m. PST

This new policy (call it the "Tango Rule" if you will) from The Editor is long overdue as far as I'm concerned. The eminent Dr. Ral Alberto de la Cruz (Tango01) has been allowed to run amok for far too long, repeatedly flooding TMP ad nauseam with links to articles or posts from third party websites and blogs over the last 10 years and needlessly cluttering up the forum. Sure, we can stifle him but just imagine how many people's posts asking relevant questions relating to the hobby have been missed or gone unanswered (or insufficiently answered) because they've been pushed off the front page, or because the people who could have best answered them were "lost in the weeds" amidst all the Tango debris.

So bravo, Bill, for finally doing what needed to be done and once again giving me a reason to renew my TMP supporting membership for the first time in nearly 3 years.

Black Hat Miniatures10 Mar 2021 3:04 p.m. PST

You seem to have renewed too soon Fanatik.. As far as I can see from the front page (without the Tango filter) we have the same topics with news articles from a year ago, 2 year old blog posts without discussion or opinion about why the original poster is interested in that link…

Nothing is being moved to the Links Directory..

Same old, same old..

Mike

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Mar 2021 9:17 p.m. PST

Glup!…

Armand

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian10 Mar 2021 9:32 p.m. PST

Nothing is being moved to the Links Directory..

Same old, same old…

We are automating the process, stand by. grin

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.