Help support TMP

"Prussian reservists question?" Topic

20 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Workbench Article

Painting 1:700 Black Seas French Brigs

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian paints his first three ships from the starter set.

Featured Profile Article

Editor Julia's 2015 Christmas Project

Editor Julia would like your support for a special project.

Current Poll

758 hits since 22 Feb 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

grambo22 Feb 2021 4:58 a.m. PST

Hi,
As part of my 1813 Prussian army I'm about to start on some reservists wearing the short jacket and cap (AB figures). I already have the Landwehr units painted. Being reservists would such units have carried colours and if so what style please? If they did would a Landwehr standard bearer be suitable or a line standard bearer wearing shako? Hope this makes sense! AB don't seem to make an officer and standard bearer wearing the short jacket and cap so I'm not sure what best to use?

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers,
Lee

Oliver Schmidt Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2021 5:38 a.m. PST

The Prussian reserve infantry battalions did not carry colours, and the regiments formed from them received colours as late as after the 1815 campaign:

TMP link

TMP link

von Winterfeldt22 Feb 2021 5:43 a.m. PST

I agree no colours, so one worry less.

grambo22 Feb 2021 5:44 a.m. PST

Thank you Oliver Schmidt, that was just the information I was looking for, so my reservists will not be carrying colours (probably why AB don't make them!).

I did try a TMP search but returning nothing :)

Cheers,
Lee.

Fighting 15s23 Feb 2021 3:19 a.m. PST

The officers would have worn regulation uniform, so you would use the normal command figures from AB (PR07, 9 and 12), allowing you to have standard bearers if you so wish. Some wargamers want flags with their battalions regardless of whether they were actually officially carried.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Feb 2021 7:16 a.m. PST

In the tactics of the period it was often necessary to have some sort of standard as a visual marker to have the battalion 'dress' on. What would these battalions with no flags do? Have some sort of ad hoc 'guidon'?

Oliver Schmidt Supporting Member of TMP23 Feb 2021 7:36 a.m. PST

The dressing was usually done on a person, who might or might not carry a flag. Actually, it wasn't even necessary to see the dressing point, nor his flag, as the soldier next to the dressing point would align on this man, his neigbour in the other direction would align on him, the next neighbour would align on the neighbour, and so on.

Most Prussian battalions of 1813-15 did not carry flags, and still they were able to manoeuver.

14Bore23 Feb 2021 4:53 p.m. PST

I always could never get how American, and French armies carried company markers and the Prussian didnt.

von Winterfeldt23 Feb 2021 11:23 p.m. PST

Already the Füsilier battalions of 1788 did not carry colours, it was deemed unnecessary, so for me the decision is always easy, I go along with history and not fantasy.

Fighting 15s24 Feb 2021 3:58 a.m. PST

I go along with history and not fantasy.

Mileage may vary… I only got complaints when I didn't put grenadier standard bearers in the battalion packs of AB 1806 Prussians when I sold them, and customer requests for British cavalry guidons and 1815 Prussian reservist flags is why I had some made (and they still sell well). Some gamers like having flags even though the units didn't carry them because it makes them easier to identify on the tabletop, especially in 15mm where everything in accurate dark blues, dark greens or dark greys just looks black from 3ft away in artificial lighting.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP24 Feb 2021 4:22 a.m. PST

I'm not saying you can't keep your alignment without flags, I'm just saying it is a whole lot easier if you have them. 25 years of commanding ACW reenactment battalions showed me that. :)

Stoppage24 Feb 2021 4:33 a.m. PST

I always could never get how American, and French armies carried company markers and the Prussian didnt.

French administrative companies are synonymous in size as their tactical peletons. (Ditto British). So company marker can be used as peleton marker.

Prussians used tactical squad/zug – not same size as the administrative companies.

Personal logo 4th Cuirassier Supporting Member of TMP24 Feb 2021 10:25 a.m. PST

We discussed Prussian flags not long ago
TMP link

von Winterfeldt24 Feb 2021 11:55 a.m. PST

Mileage does vary indeed, sticking to history seems to be on the very low end.

Zephyr124 Feb 2021 8:46 p.m. PST

A compromise might be to dispense with a flag bearer and drill a hole in the unit base to hold a flag. Then you can add or remove it at your whim… ;-)

grambo25 Feb 2021 1:33 a.m. PST

A most interesting discussion, thank you all.

First base of reservists now done, no colours, just an officer. Please excuse the couple of red blanket rolls in place of rolled overcoats, just felt they need a little splash of colour!

Cheers,
Lee

picture

Personal logo SHaT1984 Supporting Member of TMP25 Feb 2021 1:02 p.m. PST

^^^ looks more like a n***zi officer than a Preussien..

>>Mileage does vary indeed, sticking to history seems to be on the very low end.

See vW I knew we had common ground ;-).

Indeed, if everyone 'has them', how does not having them fail to differentiate?
Morning cuppa cup d

Murvihill26 Feb 2021 12:07 p.m. PST

Those look great. The Prussian army of 1813 is neat to build: you get a Line regiment, Reserve regiment and Landwehr regiment per brigade, often plus either two squadrons or a whole regiment of cavalry. Uniforms were all different and often odd.

14Bore26 Feb 2021 2:06 p.m. PST

I would paint reserve units with some odd equipment or colors, odd hat or blanket roll. Landwehr got even more creative in variation.

14Bore27 Feb 2021 1:13 p.m. PST

Looking through saved sites, forgot I had this one on reserve regiments
link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.