Help support TMP

"Can chemistry replicate the flavour of vintage whisky" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Utter Drivel Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Derivan Paints: Striking It Lucky With Colour

Sometimes at a convention, you can be just dead lucky and find a real bargain.

Featured Profile Article

First Impressions of the Craft ROBO

I spend my first day with a paper-cutting machine.

259 hits since 9 Jan 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 Jan 2021 9:17 p.m. PST

…overnight?

"HAPPINESS for me is a few good friends, a selection of unusual whiskies and definitely no ice. When I lift a glass to my nose, it is a portal to a different world of perception. There could be scents of vanilla, fruit, smoke and even freshly cut grass, all of which act like clues to the story behind the spirit. Sniff carefully, and I might discern the myriad choices the drink's makers made as they carefully crafted it over many years.

Lately, however, I have found myself asking whether the prodigious efforts of distillers are entirely necessary. Ageing spirits in barrels for years is painstaking stuff. Is it possible to make a dram without all that faff? After all, there are people on the whisky scene who claim to be able to produce a delicious version in a single night…."
From here
link

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP10 Jan 2021 5:33 a.m. PST

This is a great set of discoveries and the best thing ever done with chemistry. Been around for a while …

link

link

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian10 Jan 2021 7:14 a.m. PST

Courtesy of New Scientist Magazine – subscription required

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2021 10:48 a.m. PST

That's what they were talking about when they said, "Better living through chemistry."

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2021 2:21 p.m. PST

(smile)

Amicalement
Armand

Raynman Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2021 8:53 p.m. PST

Might be possible, but why? If you're only going to smell it, maybe. But the flavors rolling across your tongue along with the aroma's in your nose. Mmmmmmm………
Gotta go get me a single malt! Bye!

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP13 Jan 2021 10:49 a.m. PST

The companies that do this had professional whiskey tasters come in and they could not tell the difference.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.