Help support TMP

"New 1/700 & 1/1200 Napoleonic Kickstarter" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

Areas of Interest

Renaissance
18th Century
Napoleonic
19th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Top-Rated Ruleset

Brother Against Brother

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

More 15mm Boxers from Cellmate

Tod gives us another look at his "old school" Boxer Rebellion figures.

Featured Profile Article

Current Poll

384 hits since 21 Nov 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

NotNelson21 Nov 2020 3:26 a.m. PST

link

There are options for a limited number of printed sets for those who don't have a 3D printer.

AdmiralHawke23 Nov 2020 2:15 p.m. PST

Thank you for posting this. An appealing Kickstarter and I hope it does well.

I ought to be the ideal target for the printed 1/1200 set. I'm just finishing up the last models I need to re-create the Battle of Cape St. Vincent in 1/1200. I would happily back this, but the 1/1200 models don't have masts or sails. That greatly limits their usefulness to me. I know I could buy masts separately from Langton Miniatures, but it's an extra step. I hope that changes one day as the models do look accurate.

A surprising decision not to include a Spanish 74-gun ship when there were 17 of them at the battle. The bigger ships seem to get all the attention. ;-)

I hope the Kickstarter is a success.

BrianW23 Nov 2020 9:18 p.m. PST

So will the Turkish ship be available in 1/1200 too? Also, do you have plans to make any more Turkish ships from the pre French cooperation period? Most of the ships built under Selim III can me modelled using French ships.

Benedick Cabbagepatch24 Nov 2020 3:18 a.m. PST

Hey! Henry here; I'm the author of the linked Kickstarter. Was kindly directed here and thought I'd address the points raised:

-There is a Spanish 74, it's the San Juan Nepomuceno and she's listed as one of the stretch goals :)

-NotNelson was kind enough to provide me with the measurements for Langton's masts and, to my surprise, they are actually broad enough to be printable (I'd assumed 1/1200 masts would be much too fine!). Therefore I'll be happy to pledge to put together a printable set, though I would probably limit it to masts and yardarms (printed sails would look too chunky at this scale).

-The Turkish ship will be available in 1/1200 as an STL but she is not included in any of the pre-printed packages. For the time being she's intended to be a bit of a one-off and I don't plan to cover the Ottoman Navy further in the near future.

Albus Malum25 Nov 2020 3:59 p.m. PST

Henry,
Ive printed up the Fluyt you have available on Wargaming3D, but it has a issue, which I hope you have addressed or will address via the kickstarter. Its the resolution, especially in the sails. I am printing in resin, and the sails do not have enough resolution so the look very digital.

Your ship models look great, mostly, they have some resolution issues also, but not as noticable.

Resin printers are now the thing, FDM is oldschool for printing things like these, and they need the resolution in the files for Resin printing. A person can buy a resin printer for almost the same price as a FDM, unless someone does not have a place to run a resin printer, why would they print something like these ships in resin.

There are also a few tricks you need to learn about designing things for printing. like not having undercuts that cant be supported.

All ships should have versions with masts/sails attached, and masts, sails separate. You should also provide the ships with pre-supports for resin printing and these pre-supports need to be TEST printed, all of them so that people can just print them out, without everyone who backs the kickstarter, having to support them themselves, and supported files need to be openable in Chitubox, ect, so that people can modify the supports. If you cant print them in resin, or the files have problems, then people who support the kickstarter will just have expensive files on their computer, that are no use to them. Fortunately, some of the miniature stl providers on patreon are learning. If you dont have a resin printer and know how to use it, then you need one, so that people get files that are useful to them.

I say all this because I want this kickstarter to be a sucess, and that people get a polished product. the sails have to work, the sails have to look good! it can be done, and if it is, you will have a great product. if the resolution is not fixed, people will be wasting there money.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.