Help support TMP

"3D printed 1806 Prussians" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Plastic Figures Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with Napoleonics Message Board

Back to the Wargaming in the United Kingdom Message Board

Back to the 3D Printing Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Ruleset

Die Fighting

Rating: gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

1:700 Black Seas British Brigs

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian paints brigs for the British fleet.

Current Poll

1,283 hits since 7 Nov 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ferg98107 Nov 2020 5:43 a.m. PST

Good afternoon all,

Something a bit off topic for me – I was sent some photos of some 3D printed 1806 Prussians the other day, and I think they look great

Anyone interested in either 3D printing or 1806 Prussians can take a look at the photos over on my blog

link

As always, feedback, comments, criticisms welcome

Regards

James

von Winterfeldt07 Nov 2020 6:48 a.m. PST

I would opt to place the hat fore and aft or at least oblique otherwise they will knock them off when moving the musket – you show them behind the brim of the hat, how should they do this from attention than to shoulder arm and then to l'arme au bras – without hitting it??

14Bore07 Nov 2020 1:34 p.m. PST

Think they do look fantastic

14th NJ Vol Supporting Member of TMP08 Nov 2020 6:27 a.m. PST

Are these 18mm?

Augustus08 Nov 2020 8:37 a.m. PST

Any size really. I have seen them in 28mm or scaled down to 6mm surprisingly.

As good as these are, I see a lot of effect on the industry at-large coming.

Anthony Barton08 Nov 2020 10:59 a.m. PST

Nice figures, but I would agree with von W about the hat. A moment's handling a real musket while wearing a real hat would make it clear!
My own observation is that the arm swinging pose is not period. Marching was done in very close order ( almost touching) and at the rather stately pace of 75 paces per minute, which nowadays is a slow march. The free arm was normally held vertical and close to the body at all times.
This style of marching was in use with most of the major nations , if not all, and didn't really change until the later 19th century.
The slow pace allowed large formations to stay intact over rough country. Faster paces were used for wheeling or formation changes, but the slow march was the norm.
And no arm swinging….

Ruchel08 Nov 2020 11:22 a.m. PST

Are they compatible with AB and Blue Moon?

Regarding the production material (resin), is it sturdy and tough? At a glance, the bayonets look fragile.

Jcfrog Supporting Member of TMP08 Nov 2020 12:21 p.m. PST

Ordered some.( fr , 22mm japs, carts, cav.) As soon as arrived will do comparisons pics on my site. 1-2 weeks.

Personal logo SHaT1984 Supporting Member of TMP08 Nov 2020 12:36 p.m. PST

Certainly has merit and prospects.
A bit concerned over details in the French line range of larger scale, may not match expectations however.

I'm wondering (since I've never even seen plastic/resin figures), will 'material clothing' appear the way it should after painting? Like horses, no 'natural' surface is perfectly smooth, and these may be 'too' good?
d

A sea that raged no more08 Nov 2020 3:08 p.m. PST

link

picture

picture

picture

Excellent figures.

von Winterfeldt08 Nov 2020 10:48 p.m. PST

I agree absolutely with AB about non swinging arms – in case for nit picking, the Prussian muskets had no rings – the barrel was fixed like the Brown Bess to the stock with pins

Blackhorse MP10 Nov 2020 1:54 p.m. PST

And not to pile on with the nit picking, but the standard bearers look a little ridiculous(to me). If that's a Napoleonic thing I stand corrected, it's not my period, but I've never seen a standard carried in that manner. In fact I'd bet that the standard is far too heavy to be carried and controlled with one hand like that. It looks to me like they just modified a standard marching infantryman. That might pass muster in 6mm, but 28mm, not so much. Just my 2 cents.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP10 Nov 2020 9:48 p.m. PST

Where is all the constant screaming concerning variation???

Russ Dunaway

Lewis 196612 Nov 2020 7:15 a.m. PST

Only a matter of time before we are buying stl. files instead of boxes of plastic or metal.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.