Help support TMP

"UK Wargame and Military Shows 2021" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in the United Kingdom Message Board

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Politics By Other Means

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

The 4' x 6' Assault Table Top

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian begins to think about terrain for Team Yankee.

Featured Workbench Article

Trees from Oregano

Pat Ripley Fezian is after something that has presence, that actually looks like a small stand of tropical bushes, and is cheap, tough and portable.

Featured Profile Article

Is Wargaming in my Blood?

Will Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian find wargaming inspiration in his DNA results? Probably!

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

1,011 hits since 22 Sep 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Brigade of Guards22 Sep 2020 4:22 a.m. PST

With the Covid 19 situation deteriorating in the UK again, it seems unlikely that large scale indoor ( and possibly outdoor!) events will be allowed to take place until at least late Spring/early Summer 2021.

Are any of the UK Shows provisionally still going ahead next year?

Redcurrant22 Sep 2020 5:16 a.m. PST

All remaining shows for this year have been cancelled.

The York racecourse show for 2021 has already been cancelled.

I wonder how many more shows (and regretfully, wargamers), will succumb to this plague.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Salute 2021 (the one that was postponed from this year). Will they postpone it again, or do the right thing and cancel it and refund all fees already taken.

King Monkey22 Sep 2020 5:30 a.m. PST

I think it more likely nothing will go ahead until 2022.

Brigade of Guards22 Sep 2020 5:39 a.m. PST

The West Midland Military Show has the venue booked for 14th March 2021, but no planning has started, and a decision to cancel will be made in the next few weeks.

It feels like it could be the end of the show circuit as we knew it.

MASKFXCAMO22 Sep 2020 7:35 a.m. PST

Will Salute 2021 have a venue given that its hall is currently the Nightingale Hospital London?

Personal logo BigRedBat Sponsoring Member of TMP22 Sep 2020 10:42 a.m. PST

The Nightingale London was taken down. However it is in storage and could be quickly put up, again, in need.

link

So Salute is possible…

JimDuncanUK22 Sep 2020 11:36 a.m. PST

Regardless of the venue(s) I think shows as we know them are a no-no for at least 6 months.

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP22 Sep 2020 11:43 a.m. PST

Yea, 2022 seems more likely, unless you agree to wear military-style gas masks, and/or full MOPP gear at the venue.

That could make for some interesting games, so you get the real feel for what WWIII might have been like, if you can find the gear at the local surplus store, or already have it. My guess is prices for that have skyrocketed in some regions, due to the "peaceful protests" going on in certain locales.

Would be perfect for Team Yankee, Northag, or What a Tanker tournaments, among others, I suspect.

Brigade of Guards22 Sep 2020 1:31 p.m. PST

If we could get back to a little more adult comment. Today's Government announcements on more restrictions for the next 6 months probably ends the discussion. Roll on 2022.

GUNBOAT23 Sep 2020 2:20 a.m. PST

Will show be viable before 2020?

JimDuncanUK23 Sep 2020 6:57 a.m. PST

Before 2020?

GUNBOAT23 Sep 2020 7:18 a.m. PST

2022 I put down to my age

Cavcmdr23 Sep 2020 7:22 a.m. PST

That would be historical gaming, hehe.

Charlie144923 Sep 2020 10:54 a.m. PST

One thing for certain the Salute organisers for various reasons will leave any announcement for as long as possible. If cancelled then if I remember rightly according to the T's and C's there will be no refunds. That was one of the reasons for the 2020 show being postponed rather than cancelled!

Volleyfire23 Sep 2020 2:19 p.m. PST

I saw somewhere recently that Hammerhead was trying to be optimistic and still forging ahead with planning for their show in early March, however given the latest decisions on restrictions last night I wonder if it is still going ahead? I've just visited their website and the last update on there was on the 14th Sept and it says they are still planning to go ahead.

Yesthatphil25 Sep 2020 5:56 a.m. PST

The actual guidance for this sector has not changed with the latest tightening up. The Govt. still forsee trade shows and exhibitions being allowed from 1st October

From 1 October, it is expected that events of all types (e.g. trade shows, consumer shows, exhibitions, conferences) will be allowed at a capacity allowing for compliance with social distancing of 2m, or 1m with mitigation (approximately equivalent to a density of 10㎡ per person). Where such events involve people speaking loudly for prolonged periods of time any mitigation must include particular attention to the ventilation of the spaces. This will be subject to the latest public health advice.

The social distancing requirements may not be something some shows would feel they could survive with (but, to some extent, that would be down to the venue).

Fingers crossed

Phil

Volleyfire26 Sep 2020 7:52 a.m. PST

Of course there is always the potential for a spanner in the works though Yesthatphil by the Govt imposing a local lockdown on the area the show is being held in due to the R rate in that region suddenly spiking, and there could be nothing the show organisers could do about it. At the moment that looks more than likely to be happening in certain parts of the country, so the more rural your host venue is, the less likely it is to be in an area that could potentially fall into that category I'd have thought. Hopefully by March things will have changed, especially since the Chinese say they have a vaccine almost ready to go.

madaxeman27 Sep 2020 4:28 p.m. PST

Sadly HMG has retracted that advice on trade shows, and the "go" date is now aligned with the end of the new "6 month" enhanced restrictive period announced last Tuesday.

As long as that "6 month" date sticks it means no shows until April 1st, or possibly longer if the restrictions remain in place longer or of course sooner if they end up being lifted sooner.

The challenge for organisers is planning and promoting an event when it's currently impossible to stage events, and when that "April 1st" date will remain uncertain until much nearer the time.

Baking in more sensible lead times, and working back from April 1st probably means late May is about as soon as it would be possible to stage anything if you wanted to be promoting it when you know it will be legal to stage.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.