Help support TMP

"Aircraft scale" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII in the Pacific Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land
World War Two at Sea
World War Two in the Air

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

WW2 Skirmish Rules

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

Commando Kelly

Do you recognize this set?

Featured Workbench Article

Assembling & Painting GFI's N-Scale Hurricanes

miscmini Fezian assembles and paints two varieties of Hurricanes from Game Figures, Inc..

Featured Profile Article

357 hits since 13 Sep 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ded laast13 Sep 2020 8:51 p.m. PST

What scale aircraft is correct for my 28mm pacific beachhead landing?

HMS Exeter13 Sep 2020 9:57 p.m. PST

Most gamers embrace a "forced perspective" visual trick when having land units, aircraft and ships together on the same game. At 28mm for land, ships offshore might be 1/700, 1/1200, or 1/1800, whichever appeals to your particular aesthetic. 1/2400 would probably be too small.

For aircraft on a 28mm table, 1/100 or 1/200 would probably be best. 1/300 would be too small, unless you were representing high altitude 4 engine bombers, or such like.

I'm sure other gamers will chime in with what they feel works best in their estimation. At the end of the day the key consideration is what looks right to you. Experiment.

TGerritsen Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2020 10:03 p.m. PST

There is no correct answer. I use 1/48 models as they are the closest scale typically available, but you do you. I've seen 1/72 used and 1/100.

Big Red Supporting Member of TMP14 Sep 2020 4:55 a.m. PST

I use 1/72 as the Goldilocks scale. To me, 1/48 look huge and 1/100 look too small.

Viper guy Supporting Member of TMP14 Sep 2020 8:56 a.m. PST

The only good answer is use what you like to build the best. I use 1/72 for my 15s because the range, quality, and availability of kits. Plus it takes me back to my childhood and the hours of 1/72 model making. Ironically if you went by perspective the airplane would be bigger than the ground scale unless of course your model is above you.

hindsTMP Supporting Member of TMP14 Sep 2020 4:53 p.m. PST

Some gamers use larger-scale aircraft above smaller-scale ground models, using the "forced perspective" excuse.

However, the "forced perspective" idea requires the models closer to your eye to be larger, and doesn't make much sense if those models closer to your eye (e.g. the aircraft) are smaller.

So for 28mm ground, logically you would need model aircraft of at least that scale (1/48?).

MH

haywire16 Sep 2020 10:47 a.m. PST

There is no "correct" scale for 28mm

If the system does not specify, I would go with what works for you.

I personally am using 1/144 because I can use them in 28mm games and Flames of War.

If I was using crashed aircraft for terrain, I would probably use 1/48.

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP17 Sep 2020 2:01 a.m. PST

1/48th for 25mm – 28mm figs.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.