Help support TMP

"Britain's Black Regiments: Fighting for Empire and Equality" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Media Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Media Message Board

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

Areas of Interest

18th Century
19th Century
Modern

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Tin Soldiers in Action

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Book Review

530 hits since 26 Aug 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP26 Aug 2020 8:26 p.m. PST

"In three global conflicts and countless colonial campaigns, tens of thousands of black West Indian soldiers fought and died for Britain, first as slaves and then as volunteers. These all but forgotten regiments were unique because they were part of the British Army rather than colonial formations. All were stepchild units, despised by an army that was loath to number black soldiers in its ranks, and yet unable to do without them; their courage, endurance and loyalty were repaid with bigotry and abuse…"

Main page
link

Amicalement
Armand

Brian Smaller27 Aug 2020 12:46 p.m. PST

It is not like tens of thousands of white colonials didn't fight and die in Britain's wars either.

A lot of these books are written from the perspective that the existence of say, black colonial troops, is some new revelation. Virtually nothing that is revealed these days about colonial history is anything I didn't already know about, at least in a cursory way, forty or fifty years ago.

Bill N27 Aug 2020 1:44 p.m. PST

I will propose a different perspective Brian.

Starting with the Bicentennial there has been a push make the AWI a more inclusive event. Greater attention has been paid to the role individual African Americans, certain nations of Native Americans and more recently the Spanish played in helping the United States win its independence. Being a believer in telling the whole story I support this.

Buried in this has been the fact that many other African Americans either actively fought against the American rebels or sought to escape slavery by fleeing to British lines. Many more Native American nations waged war against the American rebels than supported them. The Spanish fought as a co-belligerent rather than as an ally of the United States. This information is out there, but it doesn't receive the same play.

42flanker27 Aug 2020 1:50 p.m. PST

"A lot of these books" Could i ask,which books you are thinking of in particular?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP27 Aug 2020 7:51 p.m. PST

Strange.
In my younger days Polish Americans were encouraged to be proud of Pulaski and Kosciusko.
Italian Americans were encouraged to be proud of Columbus and Verrazano.
Irish Americans were encouraged to be proud of the Carrolls of Carrollton, Tim Murphy, Irish Brigades and regiments…

So, why is it suddenly an issue with some when African Americans in history are discussed?
Crispus Attics became popular 20 or 30 years ago.
Why the long faces?
Heck. Wasn't Osprey #1 the Loyalists, with the Pioneers?

Personal logo FlyXwire Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2020 6:12 a.m. PST

+1

Bill N28 Aug 2020 9:41 a.m. PST

I am not sure who you are addressing John.

Personal logo 7th Va Cavalry Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2020 11:20 p.m. PST

"Wargamer's Lives Matter"

rjones6901 Sep 2020 6:30 a.m. PST

"Wargamer's Lives Matter"

Black Lives Matter.

See, fixed that for you "7th Va Cavalry". You're very welcome!

rjones6901 Sep 2020 6:33 a.m. PST

Oh, and John the OFM –

+1 to both of your posts.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.