Help support TMP

"1st Game of Osprey's Black Ops" Topic

27 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ultramodern Gaming (2009-present) Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Modern Battle Reports Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Modern

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Lemax Christmas Trees

It's probably too late already this season to snatch these bargains up...

Featured Profile Article

Featured Book Review

850 hits since 27 May 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP27 May 2020 8:32 p.m. PST

All,

Two days ago a wealthy businessman was abducted off the coast of Oman while on a chartered fishing expedition. Section 20 immediately went to work and less than 48 hours later they had confirmed the abductee's location in a small fishing village near Sur, Oman, right down to the house he was being held in. The planners of the Command Element immediately went to work, working up a plan, setting in motion the logistics and transportation elements. Not long after the shooters of Section 20 had donned their gear and were entering the water, beginning their swim into the target area.

picture

The fight is happening on my new mat from War Sigil.

picture

With some freshly painted dudes from Khurasan.

picture

0330 local time, the commandos come out of the water in the shelter of some fishing boats, then begin crossing the beach.

picture

Bravo 05 (bottom left) covers as Bravo 04 hops the wall and sneaks up to the trees (center, from bottom left), stalking a nearby sentry.

picture

Then silently eliminates him.

picture

As the Assault Element moves up the street.

picture

And Bravo 08 eliminates another sentry with his suppressed weapon.

picture

But the Security Element (top left) runs into big trouble when an enemy patrol shows up out of nowhere and fierce firefight breaks out in the center of town!

picture

Which causes the enemy commander to raise the alarm!

picture

Which brings even more bad guys!

picture

Including a suicide bomber!

picture

The Assault Element reaches the objective building…

picture

But the enemy commander has already dashed inside, intent on shooting the hostage!

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
link

So that was a lot of fun, and we'll be playing again next weekend.

V/R,
Jack

clifblkskull Supporting Member of TMP27 May 2020 8:46 p.m. PST

Very cool
Thanks so much for posting
Clif

Wargamer Blue28 May 2020 1:32 a.m. PST

Very very very cool.

Fish28 May 2020 1:35 a.m. PST

Awesome looking game/board/minis!

Mad Guru Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 2:30 a.m. PST

Wow, awesome AAR and nice looking set-up, and interesting alt-history backdrop, thanks for posting! The coastal beachfront looks very cool. Is it part of the War Sigil game mat?

Wolfhag Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 6:12 a.m. PST

Great job! But no damsel in distress?

Wolfhag

Rich Bliss Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 6:19 a.m. PST

Are we all cleared to read this?

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 7:29 a.m. PST

Wow, thanks everyone!

Mad Guru – Yeah, the alt-history thing throws some folks, but I just wanted a blank canvas to wargame whatever I wanted. So I staged a 'Bay of Pigs'-type invasion in 1989, and this time it succeeded, so now I use it to justify whatever type of game (an ultramodern raid in the Middle East, like this one, or Cold War-type scenarios in Europe, or Vietnam ground and air combat) I feel like playing, while following a particular group of people and giving it a narrative to follow and tie together.

Yes, the water is part of the mat; it's actually a 6' x 4' mat, which is about evenly split between water and land, I just have the water portion hanging over the end of the table.

Wolf – In distress? Nah, she's the one that pulled their chestnuts out of the fire! ;)

Rich – Well hell, I dunno. Are you read-in on Project Arapaho? ;)

V/R,
Jack

Schogun28 May 2020 8:49 a.m. PST

I got into Black Ops last year. Used it for Sharpe Napoleonics. His group had to infiltrate a small village where a British officer was being held, so rescue the hostage.

Playing solo was a lot of fun. But when I ran it for my group, the French player basically sat and watched while his sentries were all killed, waiting for others to activate.

Although it was fun, we agreed the next time we play, the GM should play the French (bad guys) and the players should play the rescuers.

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 9:25 a.m. PST

Schogun,

Man, that sounds cool! Do you have a blog you're showcasing it on, I'd love to have a look. Along those lines, didn't Osprey do "Chosen Men" for Sharpe-type stuff? Maybe just skirmish Napoleonics, with no sneaky stuff I guess?

Yes, playing solo or co-op is the way to go, it's not fun at all playing as the bad guys, I'd imagine. That's why I've been basically umpiring for my boys, controlling the bad guys, while each boy controls a four-man team of commandos.

We've played two games like that so far and it's worked out great; I'll probably post the second fight next Wednesday or Thursday.

V/R,
Jack

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 9:42 a.m. PST

Well that was mucho fun reading. Thanks for sharing that. A lot like watching a military thriller.

Umpapa28 May 2020 12:26 p.m. PST

Excellent AAR. Awesome presentation, figures, scenography. Good job, please do again.

boggler28 May 2020 12:32 p.m. PST

Excellent as always Jack. That terrain is fab!

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 12:53 p.m. PST

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you guys liked it, and will do, Umpapa, posting the next one next week.

V/R,
Jack

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 3:50 p.m. PST

Awesome stuff!

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 5:25 p.m. PST

Thanks, Oberlindes!

V/R,
Jack

Chuckaroobob28 May 2020 6:45 p.m. PST

Vrry cool! Hollywood is on the phone. They want to buy the rights….

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 6:58 p.m. PST

Thanks, and I wish, could always use the cash! ;)

V/R,
Jack

Wolfhag Supporting Member of TMP28 May 2020 8:15 p.m. PST

Wolf In distress? Nah, she's the one that pulled their chestnuts out of the fire! ;)

Excellent! Send her to me so she can bear my children.

Wolfhag

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP29 May 2020 6:37 a.m. PST

You're too old for that now! ;)

V/R,
Jack

Wolfhag Supporting Member of TMP29 May 2020 9:07 p.m. PST

Well Semper Fi mac!

Wolfhag

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP30 May 2020 10:28 a.m. PST

Please had to Supply and survey all unserviceable gear! ;)

V/R,
Jack

Wolfhag Supporting Member of TMP30 May 2020 1:59 p.m. PST

That's a low blow dude.

wolfhag

Dawnguard6420 Aug 2020 9:32 p.m. PST

Love the whole set up, but I have no words for the pipe-cleaner self-propelled rocket.

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP21 Aug 2020 8:15 p.m. PST

Thanks, I've put a lot of money and time into making my table look better, light years ahead of the old days (using carpet for hills, buildings spray painted khaki, etc…). I'm glad you liked it.

V/R,
Jack

Personal logo FlyXwire Supporting Member of TMP22 Aug 2020 1:54 p.m. PST

Jack, you're all over the games too! :)

(just saw this posting thanks to Dawnguard tapping it up)

Very nice, Sir!

Just Jack Supporting Member of TMP23 Aug 2020 8:04 a.m. PST

A little bit ;) Thanks man, I need to play some more of these, lots of fun.

V/R,
Jack

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.