Help support TMP

"Going Back to the Shows" Topic

58 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

Action Log

01 Jun 2020 10:16 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from TMP Poll Suggestions board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

The Amazing Worlds of Grenadier

The fascinating history of one of the hobby's major manufacturers.

Featured Profile Article

How Scurvy Got His "Style"

How Scurvy developed his unique approach to miniatures.

Current Poll

1,243 hits since 21 May 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian21 May 2020 2:15 p.m. PST

When will you be ready to go back to a wargaming convention or show?

* now
* July
* August
* September
* October
etc.

ConnaughtRanger21 May 2020 2:22 p.m. PST

Now.

Don Manser21 May 2020 2:25 p.m. PST

Now

RAOldham181221 May 2020 2:29 p.m. PST

Now.

Gear Pilot21 May 2020 2:35 p.m. PST

Don't know.

TSD10121 May 2020 2:46 p.m. PST

Now

Personal logo Dan Cyr Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 2:46 p.m. PST

Once I have had a proven vaccine.

KimRYoung Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 2:48 p.m. PST

Now

Kim

Bad Painter21 May 2020 3:18 p.m. PST

October

Fitzovich21 May 2020 3:20 p.m. PST

I agree with Dan Cyr, once we have a proven vaccine. If that is soon, great! If that is years from now, that's okay as well.

DisasterWargamer Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 3:29 p.m. PST

Agreed – when there is a vaccine or next year about this time

clifblkskull Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 3:41 p.m. PST

I think we may have lost a lot of shows by the time this gets sorted
I know two major ones here in Cal will most likely not return some of these events count on the previous years income to make the next year
C

VCarter21 May 2020 3:50 p.m. PST

I'll stick with Dan on this one as well – after vaccine.

Double G Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 3:58 p.m. PST

Yup, I'm with Dan too; I'll return AV…………prior to one, no can do, no want to, no go.

Dn Jackson21 May 2020 4:01 p.m. PST

Now

Sgt Slag21 May 2020 4:13 p.m. PST

Now. Can't stay locked up forever! Cheers!

JimDuncanUK21 May 2020 4:17 p.m. PST

No shows scheduled in my neck of the woods at the moment except perhaps one which I know I will not be allowed to attend as I am in several at risk categories.

There needs to be a considerable improvement in medical options available including traditional cancer care and cardiology treatment.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP21 May 2020 4:21 p.m. PST

Whatever month Guns of August is in.

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 4:22 p.m. PST

After vaccine.

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 4:27 p.m. PST

Now

GamesPoet Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 4:28 p.m. PST

I went to the Let's Roll Convention last weekend. : )

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 4:46 p.m. PST

Fortunately Salute isn't until April.

John Armatys21 May 2020 5:31 p.m. PST

I also went to Let's Roll!

As to real shows the earliest one I can hope to get to is Partizan in October, assuming that:
a) they are allowed to hold it; and
b) they decide that it can go ahead, bearing in mind any requirements on social distancing (which would mean far more space between tables and make demonstration games difficult to run and participation games harder still, and could mean that the number of people allowed into the hall will be reduced) and the concern that turnout may be low, making the show unviable, because a significant proportion of the traders, people who run games and ordinary visitors are at least middle aged and some will have medical conditions that put them at high risk if they get Covid.

FusilierDan21 May 2020 5:31 p.m. PST

Depending on the show November but most likely June 2021.

Dynaman878921 May 2020 5:49 p.m. PST

Not planning on it but I am thinking of going back to Disney in November.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP21 May 2020 5:51 p.m. PST

Wait and see. I'd like to have a vaccine, but if the infections and deaths go way down from where they are and stay down for a good long time I might consider going without the vaccine. So we'll see.

Andoreth21 May 2020 6:04 p.m. PST

If Tabletop Gaming is at Alexandra Palace at the end of September I am there even if I have to walk (okay it's only 4 miles but it is uphill).

regia marina21 May 2020 6:11 p.m. PST

Now! Drink bourbon to kill the virus.

rmaker21 May 2020 6:30 p.m. PST

Probably RockCon in October, if it happens.

Disco Joe21 May 2020 6:31 p.m. PST

October.

mad monkey 121 May 2020 6:47 p.m. PST

Now.

Personal logo gamertom Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 7:02 p.m. PST

I fully agree with ScottWashburn. I'll wait on either a vaccine being available or reaching and maintaining really low and consistent numbers. It's too early to tell.

Extrabio1947 Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 7:22 p.m. PST

I'll hold out for the vaccine.

Personal logo McKinstry Supporting Member of TMP Fezian21 May 2020 7:45 p.m. PST

ScottWashburn +1

Long Valley Gamer Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 8:11 p.m. PST

Agree with Scott Washburn

Syrinx021 May 2020 8:32 p.m. PST

Waiting for the vaccine. Too many issues in our house to be frivolous before that.

TGerritsen Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 9:10 p.m. PST

Many immunologists caution there may never be a vaccine, or that it may end up in a situation like flu vaccines where the mutations mean you end up with only a partially effective vaccine with yearly updates that are no guarantee. What if that is indeed the case?

I'm going to gauge it as it goes and weigh the evidence. Likely not until Fall at the earliest, but if things look bad then I will wait and see. If things improve before then I will reassess. The models, indicators and pronouncements have changed so much over the past weeks and months (remember when we were told that the disease wasn't transmissible by air and that we shouldn't wear masks early on? I do. That came from the WHO. Hell, today the latest data shows that the advice that you can easily get it from surfaces turns out to be wrong. The ABC news tonight stated we could stop wiping down packages as a result- were they wrong then, or are they wrong now?) I will continue to be as safe as I can while watching the general trend lines.

No need to make blanket statements on a date now. I will go by the data as it develops into a clearer picture. Right now we still have too many contradictory voices that the media is oh so willing to either gin up or discredit purely for ratings. The signal to noise ratio makes it hard (but not impossible) to parse the real from the hysterical.

Personal logo enfant perdus Supporting Member of TMP21 May 2020 9:20 p.m. PST

I really have my sights set on Fall In, so November for me.
I'm slated to participate in vaccine trials in June. Hopefully a modest contribution to moving forward.

Prince Rupert of the Rhine21 May 2020 10:39 p.m. PST

I can't imagine a wargames show with social distancing if I'm honest. Any shows following the, tried and tested, set up, in the UK, of cramming people into a venue would be like virus heaven…so err no thanks.

GUNBOAT22 May 2020 1:54 a.m. PST

No Vaccine no Shows simple

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP22 May 2020 2:08 a.m. PST

Only a fool would plan to take such a decision on the limited information we have at present. The risk factors remain mostly guesswork but there is certainty that large gatherings were the main cause of the initial infection surge in many countries.

The problem is that those who don't care for their own health are endangering everyone else too.

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP22 May 2020 2:25 a.m. PST

July

Fred Mills22 May 2020 3:19 a.m. PST

I'll try to make informed decisions based mainly on risk factors, to me and to those around me, whether there's a vaccine or not – and it is at least plausible that we won't have a vaccine for a very long time.

I'll be avoiding crowded spaces to the best of my ability anywhere, including conventions, concerts, public transit, airplanes, shopping malls, and especially those in known hot spots like New York City. This won't be fun, and will necessitate many behavioural changes, but it seems a reasonable reaction, until either the illness burns itself out or more effective countermeasures are evident.

I have less worry about me than I do about the other immune-compromised members of my family, including my 95-yr old mother, and those retirees on my street, who I see regularly. Even if asymptomatic, I'm still potentially Typhoid Mary to them, and so I'll be limiting my own exposure as prudently as possible in order to reduce theirs.

But there are no easy answers, circumstances vary greatly, and – as others have said – the medical tapestry is changing constantly.

Be safe, whatever you choose.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP22 May 2020 3:19 a.m. PST

Now. I'd wear a mask and maintain as much distance as I could, but I'd go. There is little reason to believe that we'll ever get a vaccine over 50% effective, and we may not get that. And if the medics don't know how to treat cases now--well, how much more practice do they need?

This may very well be the future. Live in it with reasonable precautions, or hide in a bunker.

Joes Shop Supporting Member of TMP22 May 2020 3:51 a.m. PST

No idea.

pvi99th22 May 2020 5:09 a.m. PST

Don't know if i would ever return.

Considering that many gamers don't have the best hygienic methods in normal situations, asking people to wash more, might be too much.

I think, if conventions want to continue, need to either start being virtual conventions or at least have a virtual component to them. That way people can attend from anywhere, be safe, and still enjoy thr conventions. Charge a fee for this, though not as much as in person attendance.

To me, this is a more proactive solution, at least for now, than just waiting to see what happens later. Isn't some cash flow better than none?

Von Trinkenessen22 May 2020 5:21 a.m. PST

I have a member of my immediate household and gaming team who is clinically extremely vulnerable @ 22 years old so we will not be going any where anytime soon. I'm not about to kill a son for want of going to a convention. Sorry very emotive subject at the moment with the proposed dismantling of lockdown in the UK.( we have been on lock down and isolation since end of February).
On a plus point I have rediscovered hidden deep stored projects and reconnected online with gaming buddies. My son is busily working on his degree from home, with lot's of online RPGs with his mates around the UK.

corzin22 May 2020 5:24 a.m. PST

i would have gone to Historicon, but i'm not quite ready for are weekly meetup…so July it is
larry

Don Manser22 May 2020 6:56 a.m. PST

"Only a fool would plan to take such a decision on the limited information we have at present. The risk factors remain mostly guesswork but there is certainty that large gatherings were the main cause of the initial infection surge in many countries.The problem is that those who don't care for their own health are endangering everyone else too"

Condescension, contradiction and conjecture all in one post. Well done!

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP22 May 2020 8:05 a.m. PST

I'm ready now, but with HCON cancelled, probably not till August/September. I'm respectful of those who say they won't go outside until there's a vaccine, but I think as more people get COVID-19, the chances of me getting it start going way down. Remember, we flattened the curve, but the area under the curve remained the same. So people are going to be infected as time goes on. And as some have said, even vaccines are not completely effective---the CDC says the effectiveness of the 2019-2020 flu vaccine was about 45%.

Pages: 1 2