Help support TMP

"Sacile 1809 - A Horse Foot & Guns Refight" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Solo Wargamers Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the 6mm Napoleonics Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Battle Reports Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

788 hits since 19 Mar 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Whirlwind19 Mar 2020 10:21 p.m. PST

Please see link for a refight of the Battle of Sacile 1809, using Baccus 6mm figures and the Horse, Foot and Guns rules to recreate the battle between Prince Eugene's Franco-Italian army and Archduke John's Austrian forces, modified from a scenario on Michael Hopper's book Duel of the Princes.

picture

Durban Gamer20 Mar 2020 4:12 a.m. PST

Interesting write up, thanks for posting!

Whirlwind20 Mar 2020 2:42 p.m. PST

Thanks very much

korsun0 Supporting Member of TMP21 Mar 2020 8:03 a.m. PST

That was interesting. Understand your comment about base removal v attrition but I guess it is just that idea that the 'unit' or base is not annihilated but more combat ineffective. However I agree that in this period, the opportunity to merge weak units or reform them rather than just remove them is more realistic.

Cheers
Jon

Whirlwind21 Mar 2020 9:11 a.m. PST

Thanks very much korsun0. Yes, I very much agree that the 'destroyed' units are (merely?) combat ineffective rather than all killed and wounded, I was thinking more of how such losses happen. So for example, imagine that an artillery unit has a 10% chance per turn in HFG of eliminating an infantry unit at 1000 paces; and so on average it will destroy the target on turn 5; but there is an equal chance of it happening on turn 1 and turn 10. Compare this to an attritional game, where (for example) the artillery unit needs to cause 5 damage on an infantry unit to break it, and at 1000 paces it nas equal chances of inflicting 0,1 or 2 damage each turn. On average the target will still break on turn 5, but the curve of probability looks very different, and perhaps it is more in keeping with how Napoleonic firepower should work. Not sure.

korsun0 Supporting Member of TMP22 Mar 2020 7:03 a.m. PST

Righto I see your reasoning; a question of possible outomes vs probable outcomes to some degree. Hadn't thought of it like that. A barrage at range will slowly cause damage, I'm no Napoleonic scholar by any means but that happened at Waterloo didn't it where the Dutch-Belgians on the front of the slope were slowly worn away by fire. They didn't get destroyed in turn 1, but by turn 5 were looking a bit battered Good point.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.