Help support TMP

"British tank green" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not post offers to buy and sell on the main forum.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Flames of War Message Board

Back to the Bolt Action Message Board

Back to the 20mm WWII Message Board

Back to the 15mm WWII Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War One
World War Two on the Land
Modern

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Showcase Article

1:285th Scale Sturmoviks from C-in-C

Beowulf Fezian paints up some WWII Soviet aircraft.

Featured Profile Article

First Look: 1:100 Armoured Flame-Thrower Platoon

Looking for something new for your Late-War WWII German forces?

Featured Book Review

2,621 hits since 1 Mar 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
Warspite101 Mar 2020 4:24 p.m. PST

I am currently painting 15mm Normandy WW2 vehicles and use mostly Tamiya, Revell, Humbrol and some Warhammer paints – all acrylics.

What do others recommend for British tank/vehicle green?

B

LT Sparker01 Mar 2020 6:48 p.m. PST

I like to use Vallejo Russian Green – it seems to be one of the few Vallejo paints that actually comes out matt, and to my eye is the right shade of khaki green / faded Bronze Green…

Martin Rapier01 Mar 2020 10:51 p.m. PST

VJ Russian Uniform with a wash of Bronze Green over black undercoat.

Warspite102 Mar 2020 2:23 a.m. PST

@both
I was rather hoping not to start another paint range.

So, from the Tamiya, Revell, Humbrol or Warhammer ranges, what do other wargamers do for British tank green?

B

deephorse02 Mar 2020 8:01 a.m. PST

I possess Tamiya, Revell, GW and Humbrol paints. And yet I still went for Vallejo Russian Uniform for my British vehicles.

BattlerBritain02 Mar 2020 11:24 a.m. PST

Humbrol 159 for me.

Warspite102 Mar 2020 3:41 p.m. PST

@BattlerBritain:
Thank you, I shall check out Humbrol 159.

Edit: Humbrol 159 appears to not be acrylic. Is that the one you meant?

B

Hornswoggler02 Mar 2020 7:39 p.m. PST

Hu 159 is only available in enamel.

Hu 86 and Hu 102 (both available in acrylic last time I looked) can pass for various levels of weathering on British vehicles, but IMO you really need to mix colours in the Humbrol range to get something quite satisfactory.

Martin Rapier02 Mar 2020 11:28 p.m. PST

Sorry, I missed the Humbrol thing. I used to do Humbrol Army Green (the pot numbers seem to change over the years) mixed with some OD.

Mike Starmers site is good on the right mixes for various British colours.

I vastly prefer Humbrol to any of the other paints, but VJ do such a huge range and Russian Uniform is so easy.. I hate those dropper pot things with a vengence.

Hornswoggler03 Mar 2020 3:44 a.m. PST

Hu 102 is "Army Green".

I prefer Humbrol too but complicated mixes are a pain. My own simple mix for generic late war British is Hu 30 + Hu 75 (1:1) or for something a bit more faded/weathered Hu 30 + Hu 24 + Hu 75 (3:1:4). But unfortunately I think Hu 75 has now been deleted…

David Grech04 Mar 2020 6:27 a.m. PST

picture

Maha Bandula19 Apr 2020 10:30 p.m. PST

How good are the AK paint sets? Anyone tried them?

fozman21 Apr 2020 11:48 a.m. PST

I use Vallejo Reflective Green – have painted so many models that colour, now, I'm not changing!! :-)
Having said that, I also use Vallejo Green Ochre as the base coat for my German Normandy/late war stuff & recently bought a large tube of Pebeo acrylic in Matt Greengold (#35) which looks the same, but which dries darker… so they're newer issue tanks #AintRepainting :-)
Unfortunately, I've not spotted a similar tube to match the green

ScoutJock21 Apr 2020 2:41 p.m. PST

I like the AK Real Colors but they are not great for brushing. Similar to Tamiya, they are acrylic lacquers and tend to dry quickly. They do work marvelously through an airbrush when properly thinned. They have a great range of colors that seem to be fairly accurately matched to the original colors from what I can tell.

They do not mix with Vallejo at all.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.