Help support TMP

"Recent 6mm Work -- Show us your stuff!" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Models Review Message Board

Back to the Getting Started with WWII Message Board

Back to the WWII Land Gallery Message Board

Back to the 6mm WWII Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

729 hits since 31 Dec 2019
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Mark 131 Dec 2019 4:44 p.m. PST

Been more than a little while since I posted any pics of my work. And so I shall …

But I would also invite others to post in this thread. Maybe we can get an ongoing picture thread of tastey eye candy.

It took Photobucket a few years to convince me they don't want me as a member, but they finally did. Then it took me a while to choose a new photo hosting site, and get myself set up. But I have.

And in addition, I had to do some modelling work worth showing. And now I have. Or at least I've done some modelling work. Worth showing, or not, is still to be decided.

In any case, here is a platoon of GHQ's lovely Pershing tanks. I actually bought these from Troy Ritter, an occasional contributor to this fine site who used to be an ubermeister of 6mm wonderfulness back in the days of yore. After many extraordinary postings on other fora that taught me many things, he left our scale for larger scale work, and I bought out some of his un-painted inventory.

(An un-painted inventory that then sat idle in my garage for mumble-mumble years.)

So without further ado, my newly completed garage-aged Pershings (and friends…):

The platoon. Getting good focus is a challenge I have not yet fully mastered, so this first one is a bit fuzzed. But there are some better ones to come.

They are pictured in a photo box that is not yet complete. So please don't infer too much from their setting.

The platoon leader's tank.

I had high hopes for this pic. But alas, while the tank comes through reasonably well, the TC in the hatch is still not quite as sharp as I might like. I was quite pleased with the way he came out -- but at this level you can hardly see how much he looks like Brad Pitt….

This pic came out pretty clear. In the past I used rolled clay for my tarps (and stuff). This is the first time I've tried aluminum foil. It's a bit harder to paint (got to put several coats on it to make sure it is fully covered), but I really like the texture when it's done.

This view gives a sense of the variety of materials I've stacked on the engine decks. Not too much clutter -- just enough to give a bit of individual character to the tanks.

You also get a first look at some of the other "friendlies" that I also painted up at the same time.

Here is the whole platoon again, this time in better focus.

And the friendlies are revealed more fully. A mortar platoon with CO stand, and two .50cal HMGs on AA mounts in gun pits. These figures are from H&R. They are the support for a full company of US Infantry I had recently completed. They are not the focus of this posting, but they were on the workboard at the same time, so wound up in the pics.

Hope you enjoy.

-Mark
(aka: Mk 1)

Mark 101 Jan 2020 7:21 p.m. PST

And now for a closer look at the US Infantry support units.

Also included are some terrain pieces that were on the workboard at the same time that these guys got done.

Here is the Battalion's 81mm Mortar Platoon. The Platoon CO team, with a radio, is at the front.

These are all H&R figures. I use US Pennies as bases for my infantry. They are cheap and plentiful -- just makes cents to me.

Here is the unit MOP, covering behind a damaged wall near a ruined house. The MOP team was kit-bashed from one of the H&R 60mm mortar teams. In both cases I have made antennae for the radios from a nylon hairbrush. I'm wondering if that choice produced an antenna which is too thick. At least it's reasonably robust.

The wall is made by slicing thin strips off of a sheet of cork, and gluing it down to a stirring stick from my local coffee house. The stick has been painted an earth color, and flocked. The cork wall has been dry-brushed and washed three or four times. Model RR talus was added around the break in the wall for dislocated stones.

Here is an overhead view of the same set-up. The MOP has placed himself with the Battalions' two .50cal AAMG teams. I don't know anyone but H&R that gives such a great selection of poses in their infantry sets, including these AAMGs. Their gun pits are again on Pennies, with some layering of acrylic medium gel to form a pit ring, and sandbags made from air-drying clay.

The burned down house is just a scratch build of some cut up styrene sheets, some model RR talus, and a bit of a balsa rod with a square cross-section for the chimney.

Here two M1917 MGs have taken up positions near a rocky outcropping. Again, I don't think anyone but H&R offers this gun for US forces in 6mm.

Here's a closer look at one of the M1917 MGs. They are casted with a water can on the ground near the front. H&R infantry, at least these older figures (originally from the early- to mid-1990s, I think) don't have all of the crisp details of some newer stuff. But the poses, the choice of weapons, and the combinations you get in the packs are still the best. And they are reasonably robust, so they are quite practical for the wargaming table.

The stones in the outcrop are almost all made from air drying clay, with many washes and dry-brushes applied.

I guess that's enough for now.

-Mark

Whirlwind02 Jan 2020 9:09 a.m. PST

They are really good Mark, lots of good inspiration for my own set-up.

captaincold6916 Jan 2020 7:07 a.m. PST

This makes me sad that I don't have the table space for setting up my game :(

Nice work Mark

Mark 116 Jan 2020 12:52 p.m. PST

This makes me sad that I don't have the table space for setting up my game

The '08 downturn hit me particularly hard. By 2010 I had to "downsize" our living situation. I have not had the room to set up a game since.

But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy my hobby. Gaming can take place at other venues (game club, hobby shops, gaming cons) and one of the GREAT advantages of 6mm scale is that I can store armies that probably exceed 2,000 vehicles, guns and infantry stands in 3 Craftsman tool boxes. So even if I don't have room to set up a game, or when for any other reason I don't get to set up games, I can still continue enjoying my hobby by collecting new units, or upgrading old units to my newer standards of modelling.

Last week I started refurbishing and rebasing some French infantry figures I painted up in the late 1980s / early 1990s. Inspired by the work others have shown (in larger scales) on this fine site, I have decided to add some motorcycle-mounted Dragon Portees to my French WW2 forces, with both M/C sidecar combinations for moving around the battleboard, as well as infantry stands to reflect the dismounts for combat.

It's one advantage of a smaller scale. A bit of table space and I've got enough room to hobbify to my heart's delight.

-Mark

Wolfhag17 Jan 2020 5:38 p.m. PST

I second the 6mm too. For me, it just gives a better rendition of an open and maneuvering battlefield, especially on a 12-foot table. I use 1" = 25m which gives a more realistic scale with 6mm models. The larger stuff like 28mm is great for what I call the "Last Hundred Yards" close assaults, infantry firefights with SMG and grenades, etc. There is a sweet spot for all scales.

I don't base my 6mm so it looks even more realistic.

Wolfhag

amarcelo16 Feb 2020 4:33 p.m. PST

My 3d modeled and 3d printed Stalingrad Grain Elevator

picture

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.