Help support TMP

"Book on the Battle of Marengo" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

654 hits since 13 Aug 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

HappyHussar13 Aug 2019 5:19 p.m. PST

Has anyone checked out "Marengo: The Victory That Placed The Crown Of France On Napoleon's Head" by Terry Crowdy?

link

I probably will pick it up soon as Marengo is my favorite battle of the Napoleonic/French Rev. Wars. I would like to hear some feedback first before I lay out the gold sovereigns! :)

Brechtel198 Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2019 5:59 p.m. PST

I have it and it's OK. The maps are terrible, however, and it isn't the easiest book to read.

Paul Demet13 Aug 2019 10:48 p.m. PST

Here are some reviews:

link

holdit14 Aug 2019 1:46 a.m. PST

Does it give much/any coverage to Casteggio-Montebello?

stecal14 Aug 2019 5:31 a.m. PST

I really enjoyed Crowdy's book. Lots of tactical detail from the soldier's POV as he pulls from accounts from both French and Austrian particiapants. I highly recommend it!

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2019 10:57 a.m. PST

James Arnold, "Marengo and Hohenlinden : Napoleon's Rise to Power" is quite a good introduction to Marengo.

Arnold is a reliable, workmanlike historian who has given us an excellent introduction to these two important battles.

My complaint with this book is that too much time is devoted to Boneparte's battle at Marengo whilst Moraeu's victory, which ultimately more stragetically significant is dismissed in 58 pages, or about 22% of the book. Why the disportionate treatment? There is a clear bias here in favour of Boneparte even if the victory at Morengo should be credited to Louis Desaix rather than First Consul.

Crowdy's book. I agree with Brechtel's assessment.

As with all things related to the Revolutionary War, R. W. Phipps: "The Army of the First Republic" is a must.

LT Sparker14 Aug 2019 5:43 p.m. PST

Just want to second everything 138 said above – James Arnold writes a great account of Marengo, but is a little light on the action in Germany.

I have Terry's book but have not yet read it. The maps are certainly lacking, probably best read with the Osprey, which is good in all respects.

Anyone have an opinion on the Histoires et Collections Marengo volume?

Marcus Maximus15 Aug 2019 3:34 a.m. PST

@LT Sparker – yes I have that title.

Brechtel198 Supporting Member of TMP15 Aug 2019 9:11 a.m. PST

The maps are certainly lacking, probably best read with the Osprey, which is good in all respects.

If you want to read the book with excellent maps, use the Esposito/Elting Atlas.

LT Sparker15 Aug 2019 5:42 p.m. PST

Marcus – but would you recommend it?

I'm very interested but live in Australia – the only OECD country to tax books – so I'd like to be sure!

Marcus Maximus18 Aug 2019 10:46 a.m. PST

Hi Sparker yes I would. It has many paintings from the time and backs up with a detailed maps, drawings and pics of uniforms etc. It's very good. I have Arnold's book as well and whole heartedly recommend it as well……

Marcus Maximus18 Aug 2019 10:48 a.m. PST
LT Sparker18 Aug 2019 7:07 p.m. PST

Thanks Marcus – will get it then. Already have the invaluable Arnold volume.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.