Help support TMP

"Wretched Service From Foundry" Topic

20 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Consumer Affairs Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Ruleset

1,827 hits since 8 Aug 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

KSmyth09 Aug 2019 4:36 p.m. PST

I don't think I've ever complained about service on TMP. In fact, I've gone out of my way to praise good service here. Generally the folks I've ordered from have done a great job, and if anything I feel like customer service has steadily improved. It is rare that an order takes longer than two weeks or so to be fulfilled.

In the middle of June I made small orders to five different manufacturers the weekend of June 15th-16th. They were Monday Knight Productions, Old Glory, Dixon, Acheson and Foundry for figures I needed to complete for an August 24th game. I received e-mail confirmations from each of them, and on the 17th a note from Foundry letting me know my order was confirmed and would ship soon.

Within two weeks I'd received orders from each of the other four manufacturers, including Dixon, also located in the UK. I live in the Seattle area.

On July 18th I followed up with an e-mail inquiring about my order, whether it has been mailed or not. I received a response on August 1st, promising to send out a replacement order including tracking details. I have not received any confirmation of this second order, nor have I received a tracking number.

During the past year I've ordered from Heroics and Ros, Front Rank, Warlord, Dixon and Scotia-Grendel, all of them located in the U.K. In most cases I had my order within two weeks, and at the outside a month.

I was going to wait to write this until the two month mark on the 17th. But I my made an order to Warlord on July 27th and it arrived today, August 9th. It pushed me over the edge.

This is simply inexcusable, unacceptable service from any manufacturer, but particularly from Foundry. For some reason I regarded them as the Rolls Royce of British figure makers. But they are the Yugo of customer service.

Extrabio1947 Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2019 5:40 p.m. PST

Same thing happened to me. It took 7 weeks and two follow-up emails to receive an order from Foundry. By way of comparison, I received my orders from Crann Tara and Bad Squiddo in less than 10 days.

jurgenation Supporting Member of TMP09 Aug 2019 10:55 p.m. PST

It's always longer w/ Foundry..but I know this now . but my orders always came in fine…I know it can be aggravating..

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP10 Aug 2019 1:58 a.m. PST

I only ever buy from them at shows.

Prince Rupert of the Rhine10 Aug 2019 2:06 a.m. PST

I live in the UK so it's slightly different for me but I got my last order well packed in 48 hours the miniatures arrived before the email telling me they had been posted.

At the end of the day though with all businesses one poor experience can sour years of good customer service

Major General Stanley10 Aug 2019 4:17 a.m. PST

Of my last two orders from foundry one took about ten days to arrive and one took five and a half weeks , but apparently both were mailed in 48 hours of the order being placed. I can't explain the difference. most packages from the UK take about ten days to cross the Atlantic.

magical monstrous steve10 Aug 2019 4:28 a.m. PST

I had the same issue with foundry and was advised to call them. Once i did, the order was shipped. Took 4 months, which isn't really acceptable, but it worked.

altfritz10 Aug 2019 4:36 a.m. PST

Sounds like their "INBOX" is being run FIRST IN – LAST OUT. i.e. All the orders go in a pile. The caster comes along and takes the top order first, which is of course the last one placed there. Your order, however, is 3rd from the bottom.

rustymusket Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2019 5:46 a.m. PST

I awaiting an order from July 10. I received an email on July 16, that it shipped. In conjunction with this current order I had sent an email to sales and customer service reminding them of 2 figures that were broken and some artillery equipment that was missing from an order earlier this year. I have received that stuff but not yet my current order. The order from earlier this year took 6 weeks to arrive. I suspect they molded the last troops I ordered upon receiving the order. Maybe that is what they do generally. I wish I could visit them, but from St. Louis Missouri, USA, it is a long drive.

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2019 7:14 a.m. PST

Thank you all for this. I'll be ordering elsewhere… forever!

KSmyth10 Aug 2019 7:25 a.m. PST

Skipper, that's my reason for posting. If the wait and aggravation are acceptable, that's certainly a choice buyers can make. I just want to be sure customers in the US understand ordering from Foundry is unlike ordering from other sellers in the UK.

D A THB10 Aug 2019 2:54 p.m. PST

Most businesses these days don't have large amounts of slow moving stock just sitting on a shelf waiting for orders. The Company I work for runs a just in time system based on usage of spare parts. Of course that means we often run out of parts which have to be ordered from overseas leading to delays, unless we can strip something off old equipment. I'd imagine that with having a Catalogue the size of Foundry that there will be a waiting queue for casting up new stock. They split the ranges up between different Companies some time ago which should have helped. I'm still a fan and will plan ahead if I need to order from Foundry, Black Tree etc.

Texas Jack11 Aug 2019 1:30 a.m. PST

But despite being a fan and allowing for longer delivery times, how on earth can you justify the poor communication? The OP inquired about his order and had to wait two weeks for a response, which I find quite ridiculous.
No matter the quality of their goods, I would think having to beg a supplier to send what you have paid for is unacceptable, especially with the excellent customer service displayed by many other companies.

Redblack11 Aug 2019 8:40 a.m. PST

I usually don't pile on in debates like this as anyone can have a bad day but this is a pattern. I ordered 5 packs from Foundry so a smallish order. It took about a week later than usual to arrive and the first thing I experienced was a charge from Canada Customs . This was the only package in about six that was hit and several of the orders were for much larger amounts.

The second thing I noticed was that the parcel was not mailed from the UK I think it was Anrwerp but could not find the package to confirm

Third I did not receive a VAT credit or reduction. OK customs happens but VAT is different. I contacted Foundry about the VAT and like others waited 2 weeks for a reply. When it came they said no VAT was charged although my statements say otherwise. A second Email has not been replied too.

So I ended up paying about 25% more for an order than expected.The order was a size comparison before a larger one that Foundry will now not get.

Maybe a lot of the shipping problems are because they have gone offshore preparing for Brexit ????

KSmyth11 Aug 2019 11:44 a.m. PST

These are the delivery standards from Wargames Foundry from the their website.

While we aim to send orders out by the same working day and usually succeed in doing so, sometimes unavoidable delays occur: weather, bank holidays, industrial action and suchlike. So, while we generally get your order to you in a few days, for orders shipped within the UK you need to allow 21 days for delivery, 31 days for Europe and 6 weeks for all other destinations. However, this is a very rare occurrence indeed. If it hasn't arrived by that time, you should email our Mail Order department on customers@wargamesfoundry.com or telephone 01636 526886 and we'll sort it out.

They returned my e-mail on August 1st which was the end of the 6th week. So, they are sticking to their standards. I can certainly quibble with their standards, but they are there for customers to see.

But at this point we are nearing eight weeks, and still no figures. I'll send a second e-mail this week asking for tracking details. I need them in a little less than two weeks. Without them Foundry can expect a PayPal complaint.

I'm a teacher. My entire 36 year career is about schedules and deadlines. In Foundry's case they've established deadlines that I don't believe meet the industry standard. I can choose to order from them or not based on their standard. But when they don't meet their own standard, well, outside the industry standard, then my beef is legitimate.

Fighting 15s12 Aug 2019 10:49 p.m. PST

The industry standard, established since the 1960s, is surely "your figures will arrive when they arrive". :-)

From link on Hinton Hunt:

‘Nor did Hinton's somewhat eccentric approach to business endear him to everyone. Mail order was hardly his strong suit. Months would pass and reminder letters go unacknowledged before a parcel turned up. When it did there was no guarantee on what it would contain. "I once sent off for artillery horses and got a load of wheels instead," Pete Bateman recalls. ‘

Advances in technology for communication, and years of consumer protection law for mail order have changed this not one jot.

kmfrye26 Aug 2019 8:32 p.m. PST

K. Smith – I'm in a similar boat as you. Ordered in early July from various companies, everything has arrived except from Wargames Foundry.

Maybe they could change their name to Wargames Lost & Foundry.

Opened a paypal dispute. I expect they will ignore Paypal as they've ignored my email. One can easily conclude that Wargames Foundry just doesn't like mail order.

Keith F.

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP27 Aug 2019 4:26 a.m. PST

I just ordered a single pack this morning – I'll let you know. I've not had problems in the past.

kmfrye29 Aug 2019 8:58 a.m. PST

Well, well. My order arrived this morning. From the customs slip, it languished for about two weeks, either as a guest of the Royal Mail, or at Stoke Hall.

Keith F.

MiniPigs30 Aug 2019 10:35 a.m. PST

They can be both slow and unresponsive but I always get my stuff.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.