Help support TMP

"Who Makes Sci-fi Animals?" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 6mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Areas of Interest

Science Fiction

352 hits since 8 Jul 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Valderian08 Jul 2019 10:50 a.m. PST

I want "to populate the battlefields" with some fauna in my 6mm sci-fi games and also to introduce more troops mounted or animals as troops. Brigade Models (Lizard Riders, SAC Mounted Infantry, Cimexian), Command Horizon (Gunkers, Borers, Grubs) and CP Models (Jurapeds, Flak Worms, Razor Hounds, Salty, Fast Eddy) are some sources for sci-fi animals/troops mounted that I know of.
Who else? Maybe 10mm scale animals? Some cheap bundles of 6mm plastic miniatures?

KPinder08 Jul 2019 11:14 a.m. PST

Some possibilities

link

link
Maybe a brace of killer bunnies

link

link
Tusk and SciFi

link

Gokiburi08 Jul 2019 1:56 p.m. PST

Some of the smaller alien animals from Alternative Armies SHM line might work for 6mm, the Glador burrower especially (12mm long) makes a good alien herd beast.
link

If you want some megafauna Heresy's Hellmites (19mm tall) might work as large grazing creatures.
link

Oberlindes Sol LIC08 Jul 2019 3:29 p.m. PST

I don't expect fauna that are large enough to be put on a game table to stick around once things get noisy or otherwise outside their comfort zone.

I assume that most ground combat is on planets where people can live reasonably easily. That leads me to expect animals on those planets to occupy ecological niches analogous to terrestrial animals, and to have similar survival instincts and reactions.

Dead animals, whether killed on the crossfire or blast radius or of natural causes before the battle, are likely to appear on a battlefield.

Cattle and other food or domesticated animals are also likely to be encountered out there. Man's best friend preceded us into space thank you for your sacrifice, Comrade Laika and will surely follow us to the stars.

Covert Walrus08 Jul 2019 8:45 p.m. PST

Didn't Angle Barracks have some alien livestock as well?

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP08 Jul 2019 9:09 p.m. PST

Can't really think of any right now, so clearly many, many more are needed.

Legion 409 Jul 2019 8:04 a.m. PST

Good links guys ! Thanks !

And here are some of the animals C/Walrus was talking about – link

Onslaught Miniatures09 Jul 2019 8:54 a.m. PST

I make some Wolves…
link

Legion 409 Jul 2019 9:00 a.m. PST

AHWOOO !!!!

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP09 Jul 2019 2:47 p.m. PST

I was thinking that you could use various 10mm charms if you clip off the loop. There's a lot of variety out there

auction

auction

auction

auction

Valderian09 Jul 2019 3:04 p.m. PST

Thanks for the links!
I like the dinosaurs from Magister Millitum, especially the little ones that come in packs of 3-5. I like the warhounds from Onslaught and want to get some animals from CP Models (jurapeds look good, and KR-16 environment has a good feel).
For reasons of using animals, thanks Oberlindes Sol LIC for sharing yours.
As for me, I plan on using animals for different things. First, as animated terrain (LOS hindering, hopefully no animals will be harmed in the process..), narrative use in scenarios (like keeping a "flock" of dinos in a certain number) and eye-catching things (no more lonely hills or lunar solitude).
Then I plan to develop a simple AI for them (aggresive stance – attack the closest unit of any of the two players which is in LOS; neutral stance – move each turn, compare the strength when a unit is in LOS and attack it if higher or run in opposite direction if lower; shy behaviour – hide so you have no one in LOS or run as hell when you have someone). unicorn

Oberlindes Sol LIC10 Jul 2019 1:11 p.m. PST

I did run a StarGrunt game -- skip this if you've read this story before -- set in swampy terrain. There were logs floating in the swamps. If soldiers got close enough to the logs, they found out that the logs were actually the local equivalent of crocodiles, which would close assault them.

Troops in powered armor were unlikely to be hurt, but they were delayed as they tried to extricate themselves from the crocodiles' jaws (and death spins), and of course they weren't going to fire energy weapons or explosives under water and injure themselves.

The logs would have disappeared (i.e., submerged to the bottom of the swamp) if the forces had started shooting at each other across the water or if there had been explosions near enough to disturb them.

Valderian10 Jul 2019 3:22 p.m. PST

thumbs up I think we need more scenarios written for miniatures games that employ some NPC/events to make the battleground more real, unforeseeable.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.