Help support TMP

"Basing texture - Apply after gluing figures or before?" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Basing Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

475 hits since 7 Jul 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

AegonTheUnready07 Jul 2019 10:19 a.m. PST

What method do you prefer? I assume that if the textures is applied first, you scrape out little spots to fit the figures into?

Are there advantages/disadvantages either way?

Griefbringer07 Jul 2019 10:29 a.m. PST

First glueing the figures, letting things dry at least overnight and then glueing in the sand for texture. Works fine for me, the only thing that needs watching out for is that glue or texture does not end up around the feet of the figures – or if it does, is removed immediately.

The idea of first applying texture and then scraping it off at spots sounds impractical, especially since properly glued sand is not necessarily very trivial to sand off. It would make more sense to put some sacrificial material, e.g. Bluetac, on spots that will be filled by the figures later. However, any spot created in such a way needs to be larger than actually required by the figure base, thus leaving a gap around that needs to be filled with more texturing material or putty….

JimDuncanUK07 Jul 2019 10:30 a.m. PST

The only sensible way is to glue the figure in place first then set the texture up to meet the figure base.

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP07 Jul 2019 12:13 p.m. PST

+1 to the above

manyslayer07 Jul 2019 12:49 p.m. PST

It depends on the kind of texture. Replies so far seem to be looking at sand/baking soda/etc. and I agree on figure first unless the texturing material is particularly thick. For other basing material (thicker rubble, cobblestone or wood textures, etc.) I base first and then mount the figure using a pin in a foot into a drilled hole.

DyeHard07 Jul 2019 3:17 p.m. PST

Gluing the figure to base first is better for any figure with any type of base on it.

If the figure has no base or just tabs or pins out of the feet, than finishing the base first might work out better.
This is common in models, but not very stable for a gaming figure.

CeruLucifus07 Jul 2019 4:25 p.m. PST

It depends.

Usually I assemble figure, attach to base, paint, then apply base treatment.

But I have sometimes prepared many bases at once because it's faster, then attach the figures. When I do this, the base treatment usually requires a little touchup.

Yes if I am attaching a figure to a finished base, I'll usually do by pinning; sometimes I'll need to scrape a little base texture off to best fit the figure. Usually the figure will go into little pools of epoxy, but sometimes hot glue or other tacky adhesive.

AegonTheUnready07 Jul 2019 5:01 p.m. PST

Umm, I was thinking of scraping out a little space before the texture dries. A lot easier than waiting until it dris rock hard, no?

rmaker07 Jul 2019 5:25 p.m. PST

Neither.

Dexter Ward08 Jul 2019 2:48 a.m. PST

Much easier to glue first, then apply the texture round the figures and over their bases. If you scrape out a space, you still have an untextured base on the figure, which you will have to texture.

Giles the Zog08 Jul 2019 6:27 a.m. PST

After – you casn ensure that the moulded on base is then blended in to the rest of the base. No hassle in terms of texturing and then carving out a hole.

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP08 Jul 2019 11:57 a.m. PST

An advantage to gluing the figure to the base first, is that the texture applied afterwards, will reinforce the glue attaching the figure to the base, as it overlaps the figure's molded base.

I glue my figures to bases first, then I paint the figures (assembly line style). After the figures are painted, and a stain-wash is applied (this is allowed to freely flow onto, and over the top of, the base, and fully allowed to dry), then I apply the texture.

In my case, I mix three different colored sands, and small pebbles (model RR ballast), into a large bowl; I then paint PVA Glue on the base surface, then swirl it into the sand/gravel mix. This approach requires no painting! Let it dry, and the stand is done… GETGW style: fast, easy, and good enough, at arm's length. ;-) Cheers!

ordinarybass11 Jul 2019 10:44 a.m. PST

When using loose ballast and basing materials I nearly always glue fig to base first and apply basing later. Much easier in every situation.

One exception is the Mice and Mystics baddies in this post (scroll down past the good guys)…
link
… did have spots of ballast glued down between some card flag stones (DeathRayDesigns base toppers) I had cut away. Then the figures were glued to the "stones".

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.