Help support TMP

"French ADC shabraque, gold or yellow edging?" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Painting Guides Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

351 hits since 2 Jul 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Van Damme02 Jul 2019 11:05 a.m. PST

Always assumed the colour of the edge of the shabraque was a yellow/orange colour? Is this correct or is it a gold lace colour?

Regards

Porthos02 Jul 2019 12:32 p.m. PST

Since an ADC is an officer (often a colonel) I would expect gold, not yellow. The site for the uniformsof the Hundred Days has a special part for staff officers:

link

Hope this helps.

Widowson02 Jul 2019 12:40 p.m. PST

Generally an ADC wears his usual uniform, unless he's ADC to Murat or Berthier or some other marshal or the emperor and is issued a special uniform.

And that means he's generally riding his usual horse with its usual tack and shabraque.

So if the ADC is a line infantry colonel, I'd expect the blue square shabraque with gold braid on the shabraque and pistol covers. If he happens to be a light infantry colonel, the same with silver braid.

Personal logo Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP02 Jul 2019 1:01 p.m. PST

There was a special uniform for ordinary ADCs. There were some variations but it was basically blue with a gold trim to everything including the shabraque. The 100 Days site is a good start point.

Van Damme02 Jul 2019 1:10 p.m. PST

Thanks, the 100 day site is one of my frequent sources of information. Must be my eyesight, but to me it looked like a yellow instead of a gold colour. Never saw a real shabraque in a museum. So I painted them all yellow, time to practice my nmm skills and start repainting these ADC`s shbraques.
Thanks for the advice

Widowson02 Jul 2019 1:13 p.m. PST

I would expect an officer to have gold or silver trim on his shabraque.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2019 11:38 a.m. PST

I use gold for the reasons above – officer and attached to the brass so gold makes sense

dibble03 Jul 2019 6:53 p.m. PST

Yes, I agree. Gold trim for the shabraque.

For all that Cent Jours is meant to update their information, I had a cursory look to see if they have corrected their most glaring mistake, but I see they still haven't corrected the 95th bugler.

SHaT198408 Jul 2019 5:18 a.m. PST

In reply,

>>Generally an ADC wears his usual uniform, unless he's ADC to Murat or Berthier or some other marshal or the emperor and is issued a special uniform.

Actually, unless a temporary upgrade, full time ADC's had specific uniforms and attributes assigned. Therefore, these 'should' be more common on your 'command' bases (I use a real 1:1 command on mine).

>>And that means he's generally riding his usual horse with its usual tack and shabraque.
As above, also a designated design, most prominent a light horse officers schabraque in french blue. The 'lace' is gold here.

>>So if the ADC is a line infantry colonel, I'd expect the blue square shabraque with gold braid on the shabraque and pistol covers. If he happens to be a light infantry colonel, the same with silver braid.

For a Colonel to be an ADC you'd (most likely) have to depict a Marshal in charge. Most ADCs were Sous/ Lieutenant and Capitaines. These are what your GDV and GBD would have.

See Bucquoy for variety.
regards
dave

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.