Help support TMP

"Netherlands Horse Artillery Finished" Topic

21 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conversions Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Napoleonic

831 hits since 6 Jun 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2019 2:55 a.m. PST

Took a while but done at last. The spongeman, he had to hold something and he simply forgot to replace it before the gun moved off. Converted from Perry Portuguese Dragoons, as shown during work in progress

TMP link

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

Personal logo Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2019 3:40 a.m. PST

Well done. They look excellent. And so different from the original figures.

Did the mounted gunners carry the rammer like that? I thought they were slotted onto the gun carriage in transit.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2019 5:57 a.m. PST

No, they certainly did not carry the sponge/rammer. As I said above, one figure in the command set includes an open, empty, right hand to carry either a sword or a standard pole and he had to have something instead. This was left over from a Westfalia collection and my excuse is that he forgot to attach it before the limber moved off……..so now he is stuck with it…that is why he looks a bit fed up

Personal logo Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2019 6:05 a.m. PST

I like it!

Doug MSC Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2019 6:11 a.m. PST

Very nicely done.

wrgmr106 Jun 2019 9:08 a.m. PST

Beautiful work Liam!!

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2019 9:14 a.m. PST

Nicely done.

377CSG Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2019 3:49 p.m. PST

Very nice and lovely bases – well done.

Personal logo PaulCollins Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2019 5:54 p.m. PST

You know, he does look a bit put off. Nice job on these, and I always like an interesting story to explain unusual figures.

Markconz06 Jun 2019 7:35 p.m. PST

Excellent nice conversions Liam!

C M DODSON06 Jun 2019 10:30 p.m. PST

Hello Mr D.

Very nice indeed.

Excellent conversions and super painting.

Good excuse for the rammer but I feel he will be on a charge soon for leaving such an essential piece of equipment behind!

Best wishes,

Chris

Marc the plastics fan09 Jun 2019 3:51 a.m. PST

Very nice Liam, well thought out and executed, and a marvellously unusual subject.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP09 Jun 2019 7:17 a.m. PST

Cheers. I would show them with my one DBHA 6pdr. But it was the first Napoleonic subject I painted in four decades….and it shows. Especially with the spongeman wrong side of the gun…….

At least my mounted spongeman I knew it was wrong. I am tempted even now to swop for a clay pipe. Perhaps not the best idea next to an ammo wagon, but often seen.

Had thought of DBHA horse holders actually.

Now that would really be a fringe subject, but possibly even more use than the mounted HA. No one does proper mounted HA of any nation. Few do dismounted cavalry equally…

Started today on IGHA in Dolmans….from Perry French in Egypt. Though I say so myself…off to a good start

Lord Hill09 Jun 2019 12:57 p.m. PST

Very nice work! I especially love the epaulette rolls.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP09 Jun 2019 1:13 p.m. PST

Is that the croissant, fore and aft, across each shoulder? Never knew what it might have been called…bit overscale to be honest. But it is the one thing that distinguishes them and it did make them easier to paint, even if they proved massive.

Thanks though. I tried to fit three buttons on the cuff slashes but only managed that on the trumpeter. My cocktail stick was a bit blunt maybe.

But what is the thing on the cross belt meant to be?

Lambert Supporting Member of TMP10 Jun 2019 12:02 p.m. PST

Coming late to the thread having been away in the mountains with no internet.
I think these are great. Neat painting as always and striking, vibrant colours, but most of all I love the subject matter. I've always wanted mounted horse artillery gunners and wished manufacturers would make them. Well done Deadhead for creating these. And as for the chap carrying the sponge, well he's certainly unique.
The cross belt thing – if it isn't purely decorative, maybe it's a chain holding firing tubes? Does anyone know the answer?

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP10 Jun 2019 2:37 p.m. PST

I have no idea what a firing tube is, but I would not want one on my thoracic cage, if it is even half as explosive as it sounds. I have a couple of pics of Netherlands gunners puffing on a pipe, which is suicidal enough!

Yes, I know. The spongeman. Even one of my lads (now both 24) questioned that, as physically impossible. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It might yet become a tobacco pipe.

The crossbelt thing. It is some kind of badge, then a chain, then two tubes. Looks like an infantryman's kit for his musket, but clearly not so.

Marc at work11 Jun 2019 5:25 a.m. PST

Why not a map, or telescope case, or similar small, gunnery related object? A whip (or would only the train have those?). A sword, or pistol maybe? Replace his head with a bareheaded version and put the shako in his hand

I had assumed the cross belt thingie was a pricking device for the cartridge. Just goes to show how little I know after almost half a century of Nap fun

von Winterfeldt11 Jun 2019 12:38 p.m. PST

very nice colour control, in my view one of your best brush work

Lambert Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2019 1:07 p.m. PST

The cross belt thing. I found this extract from current British Army regulations:

"The pouch belts (often patent leather) worn by their officers and WO1s bear on the front a silver(ed) whistle suspended on chains from an ornamental chain-boss fixed above a large frontal badge (termed a pouch belt plate). A more modest equivalent may also be worn by ranks down to and including SNCO".

I wonder if the small tubes are whistles?

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2019 3:15 p.m. PST

Well that is the best suggestion I have seen yet.

But why HA gunners would need a whistle is beyond me. They would not hear them. My trade, until recently, involved seeing military folk exposed to our or their oppos' gunfire recently, in some Godforsaken part of of the Earth. They were mostly afflicted with high frequency losses not quite as bad as mine, just 30 years earlier.

These chest belt things could have been to clear a musket, that hole that connected the pan to the breach. As infantry carried. Naw

Or they could have been the spike thing shoved into the rear end of a cannon to pierce the charge, for ready use ammo.

Or the fuse thing that actually fired the cannon once lit. Kamikaze maybe…naw.

But none makes any sense. Not for every member of a HA unit, as they are shown. Decoration only??????????

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.