Help support TMP

"Best Episode of Star Trek: TNG, Season 1?" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Star Trek Message Board

Back to the TMP Poll Suggestions Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Science Fiction

340 hits since 14 May 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian14 May 2019 9:05 p.m. PST

The episodes were:

Encounter at Farpoint
The Naked Now
Code of Honor
The Last Outpost
Where No One Has Gone Before
Lonely Among Us
Justice
The Battle
Hide and Q
Haven
The Big Goodbye
Datalore
Angel One
Too Short a Season
When the Bough Breaks
Home Soil
Coming of Age
Heart of Glory
The Arsenal of Freedom
Symbiosis
Skin of Evil
We'll Always Have Paris
Conspiracy
The Neutral Zone

TGerritsen14 May 2019 9:36 p.m. PST

Probably The Neutral Zone, but season 1 was not good.

Personal logo Patrick R Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2019 2:12 a.m. PST

TNG was when Roddenberry's Messiah complex was starting to get really bad.

He wanted to promote a progressive message and a vision of humanity that had clearly risen above the old petty squabbles of old.

It's a utopian message which is highlighted by squaring it off with some really bad strawmen, the early Ferengi being one of the worst.

Code of Honour or Justice showed that aliens could think differently but the Federation was clearly superior. Interestingly they show a proto-Wakanda in the former and the latter like a kind of "Stepford Wives creepy health spa populated by beautiful people"

Enterprise's crew see themselves as enlightened beings, which either comes off as incredibly smug (CF Riker in The Last Outpost) or weirdly naive when discussing with Q. Inadvertently showing that they ALL look down on those they deem less advanced than they are.

Probably the best episode is Heart of Glory which is a great character sketch of the Klingons and how they work as allies of the Federation, but still retain their own culture. Granted the execution is pretty wonky and artificial, but it pretty much is the defining Klingon episode, from which all others build.

Neutral Zone is a good second, as it sets up the Romulans in an interesting way, since the Ferengi weren't working as expected. One of the most interesting details is Ralph Offenhouse a 21st century "Wolf of Wall Street" type who believes he can carry on just the same as he used to do and Picard disagreeing wholeheartedly. Would be amazing if we could see them square off again in the new Picard series.

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2019 2:46 a.m. PST

Quite a few good ones in season 1.
Where no one had gone before was a cool typical star trek episode.

I liked conspiracy, even if I felt it should have been a double episode as it felt rushed.

The neutral zone was very good, besides the romulan angle, I always find it intresting when you bring "current people " into the future.
And with three so different personalities it gives a good mix.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP15 May 2019 6:23 a.m. PST

Enterprise's crew see themselves as enlightened beings,

I always thought there was a huge underlying theme of sarcasm written into the behaviour of the TNG crew. The pompous hypocracy was just too much for me to think that it wasn't intentional.

I vote for Justice. We, the enlightened, will not interfere with others' cultures. Unless we don't agree with your politics and we can kick your ass militarily. In which case we will take what we want whenever. Then leave you in "peace". And we will constantly and belligerently attack anyone who could fight on a peer level (or greater) with us, because their cultural freedom doesn't count. It's basically the political philosophy "We believe in total freedom for all people who think like us."

The measure of a moral principle is not what you believe or say, but whether your are willing to sacrifice something dear for it when you don't have to.

Legion 415 May 2019 6:37 a.m. PST

Anytime they actually had ship-to-ship combat … evil grin As time went on, the "touchy-feely", episodes just got silly, etc. A soap opera in space. And I still have a problem with taking families into space.

Old Wolfman15 May 2019 7:23 a.m. PST

Stewart playing hard-boiled detective Dixon Hill and old Bones McCoy's missive about the Enterprise D being " a new ship,but she's got the right name."

Personal logo Herkybird Supporting Member of TMP15 May 2019 10:44 a.m. PST

Arsenal of Freedom for me (Peace…through superior firepower!)

Oberlindes Sol LIC15 May 2019 11:01 a.m. PST

Conspiracy is my favorite episode, but I have to admit that I never got into TNG. Families on a warship? The deeply annoying Q? Annoying on so many levels.

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2019 1:45 a.m. PST

Federation ships aren't war ships(except for the defiant)

They are diplomatic/science vessels who happen to have the self defence capabilities to destroy the entire surface of a planet.

Dynaman878916 May 2019 6:30 a.m. PST

Skin of Evil – might as well vote for the one that truly reflects the quality of that first season (or 2.5 seasons).

Legion 416 May 2019 6:39 a.m. PST

Yes, the Defiant is my favorite !

And of course any vessel needs to have self defense capabilities. If you watched the series Enterprise, which is probably one of my favorites of all the series. CPT Archer, etc., realized that, etc. As the series went on they had to add more weapons systems to the Enterprise. As it was originally designed. After the encounters they had with some aliens.

"Give Peace a chance, but I'll cover you anyway … just incase …", comes to mind.

Yes you may be science vessel and want to approach every situation diplomatically … But all the species you run into may not see it that way. Better to be prepared than not … And suffer the results …

Old Contemptibles Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2019 7:42 a.m. PST

The first season was so bad I quit watching after the first two episodes. Sadly, I think the show got better after the passing of Gene Roddenberry.

Old Contemptibles Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2019 7:47 a.m. PST

If I had to choose one it would be "Conspiracy".

Ghostrunner16 May 2019 2:41 p.m. PST

Heart of Glory.

At least they didn't try to make it out like the Klingons were suddenly completely chummy with the Federation… it was a little more realistic than some of Roddenberry's other decisions.

Runner up would be arsenal of Freedom… first time you saw the Ent-D do a full scale alpha-strike… and hit nothing.

Dynaman878919 May 2019 10:43 a.m. PST

The only problem with Heart of Glory is it made the Klingons look like total freaking morons. in TOS they were the evil bad guys collectively but they were NOT stupid. And Kang showed very well they were quite capable of intelligent thought. All thrown out the window in Heart of Glory. (IIRC that is the one where the Klingons insantly jump to a conspiracy theory.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.