Help support TMP

"Notre Dame Fire" Topic

61 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

1,827 hits since 15 Apr 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Musketballs15 Apr 2019 10:42 a.m. PST

Notre-Dame de Paris – site of both Napoleon's coronation and his marriage to Marie-Louise – is on fire, and a bad one it looks.

Crossed fingers we don't see too much history go up in smoke.

No reports of any casualties.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 10:58 a.m. PST

Much worse than the York Minster fire. The whole roof has collapsed…imagine the interior damage. A roof can be replaced. But this is a horrific loss.

Musketballs15 Apr 2019 11:02 a.m. PST

Like watching the Cutty Sark burn all over again…

Wish people would be a little more careful.

JimDuncanUK15 Apr 2019 11:06 a.m. PST

Glasgow School of Art, twice.

David Manley15 Apr 2019 11:15 a.m. PST

Building renovation ===> major fire.

Not the first time it has happened, won't be the last. I wouldn't be surprised if the Palace of Westminster suffers a major fire whilst its being done up

Musketballs15 Apr 2019 11:19 a.m. PST

As I recall, Windsor Castle had a slightly longer renovation than was originally planned.

Musketballs15 Apr 2019 11:25 a.m. PST

So far, they've lost a chunk of the roof and the spire is totally gone. Fire does seem to be under control now.

Nothing on the Rose Windows yet, which may be good news.

I Drink Your Milkshake15 Apr 2019 11:37 a.m. PST

Oh no! Glad I got to visit and take pics in my lifetime. #grateful

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 12:06 p.m. PST

What a tragedy. So much history there.

forwardmarchstudios15 Apr 2019 12:10 p.m. PST

I'm glad I saw it when I had the chance!

Timmo uk15 Apr 2019 12:10 p.m. PST

Very sad.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 12:12 p.m. PST

Agree to all and also glad we saw it a few years back

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 12:13 p.m. PST

Heartbreaking.

dibble Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 12:50 p.m. PST

Truely awful…:(

14Bore15 Apr 2019 12:54 p.m. PST

Not Catholic nor French but a tragedy for western civilization

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 1:06 p.m. PST

It's such an amazing building – a great pity.

pbishop1215 Apr 2019 1:43 p.m. PST

Heartbreaking… Been there several times, took mass and communion. When I think of all the foreign armies that came through Paris, and this icon wasn't touched to my knowledge. I pray it was nothing nefarious.

Personal logo ACWBill Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 1:55 p.m. PST

I for one am completely devastated by the loss of this beautiful Cathedral. It is a loss to all western culture.

razuse Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 1:56 p.m. PST

planning on visiting in July…so sad!!!!

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 2:54 p.m. PST

It is a tragedy, and yes, a loss for Western Civilization.

All the people from into the future who will never see it in its glory, as the pinnacle of Medieval architecture. I was with friends who had been to the Cathedral twice over the years when we learned of the fire. They were literally in tears watching it on the news.

Dn Jackson15 Apr 2019 3:26 p.m. PST

"It is a tragedy, and yes, a loss for Western Civilization."

Considering what Europe looked like at the end of WWII, including many historic churches, palaces, castles, etc, I'm confident it will be rebuilt to its former glory.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 3:34 p.m. PST

Survived two World Wars, to have this happen. They say four hundred firefighters responded. I expected to see fire repellent dropped from helicopters. I understand they were having Mass when the fire alarm went on. Surprise there wasn't any fire suppression system installed. Not that unusual to have historic buildings retrofitted with one.

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 3:37 p.m. PST

Survived two World Wars, to have this happen. They say four hundred firefighters responded. I expected to see fire repellent dropped from helicopters. I understand they were having Mass when the fire alarm went on. Surprise there were no fire extinguishers installed. Not that unusual to have historic buildings retrofitted with some sort of fire suppressant system.

14Bore15 Apr 2019 3:48 p.m. PST

Been watching on a couple of YouTube feeds
https://youtu.be/tWLO72hO9WQ
Very sad to watch.

Lion in the Stars15 Apr 2019 4:07 p.m. PST

Considering what Europe looked like at the end of WWII, including many historic churches, palaces, castles, etc, I'm confident it will be rebuilt to its former glory.

I'm also confident that it will be restored.

I understand that all the stained glass is a total loss ('scuse me, seems to be a mite dusty in here…), so that's going to be really expensive and time-consuming to replace.

Hopefully they find out what caused the fire, so that it can't happen again!

John Tyson15 Apr 2019 4:12 p.m. PST

I wouldn't rule out arson.

There are quite a few internet news reports that numerous churches throughout France have been attacked. On March 17, 2019, the Church of St. Sulpice in Paris was set afire by what Paris firefighters say was arson.

link

This is from the article in the link above:
"Last Sunday, the historic Church of St. Sulpice in Paris was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday, Le Parisien reported, although no one was injured. Police are still investigating the attack, which firefighters have confidently attributed to arson."

Too early to speculate what did cause the fire. It is my prayer the fire was caused by carelessness and not by a deliberate act.

God bless,
John T.

benglish Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 5:39 p.m. PST

Beyond awful.

Gut-punch for everyone who loves history and beautiful things.

Schogun15 Apr 2019 5:55 p.m. PST

My wife and I were there just last Monday. What a shock!

AussieAndy Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 6:47 p.m. PST

They'll rebuild it, but it won't be the same. We've been to Paris quite a few times and always go to Notre Dame.

Kevin in Albuquerque Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 8:28 p.m. PST

What a loss …

gboue200115 Apr 2019 9:48 p.m. PST

Born in paris, living and working in Paris for more than 60 years, I feel terribly sad but also proud of the firefighters who worked so hard under rain of melting lead to save the cathedrals'treasure. It took 800 years to build and embellished Our Lady, it will take dozens more to give her back her beauty but for once, I know why I will pay my taxes and I will be able to see where my money is going.
Napoleon crowned himslef there, Henry the 4th got married there, Louis the 14th too, my wife sung with the cathedral's choir,that's history but I would be pleased to guide any TMP forumer in my beloved City. Sursum Corda

pbishop1215 Apr 2019 10:37 p.m. PST

I read today where some wealthy American philanthropist will be donating $100 USDmillion to help restore the cathedral. I'd like to contribute also in my own small way. France gave us the Statue of Liberty which stands proudly in my home in New York. I may be one of the few Americans with an affection for France, but I have fond memories of my visits while stationed in Europe for so many years. Is anyone aware of how a donation can legitimately get through?

gboue200115 Apr 2019 11:14 p.m. PST

@pbishop12
Cher ami américain

The french governement is going today to open a specific and official funding site, I will post here the adresse ASAP.

All the best from Paris

Gboue

Rallynow Supporting Member of TMP15 Apr 2019 11:31 p.m. PST

When I first heard about it at work my first thought was terrorism. Just awful.

14Bore16 Apr 2019 1:46 a.m. PST

A few big donors are stepping up but it's going to cost a billion. It looks better this morning than what I expected and a construction accident seems, as in the very beginning is probably the cause.

Footslogger16 Apr 2019 2:24 a.m. PST

It looks as if the high altar and the famous statue of the deposition from the cross – visible on the right of David's painting of Napoleon's coronation – have survived.

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Apr 2019 4:10 a.m. PST

I'm sure they will exhaustively work to determine the cause. But I'm betting that it was an accident. There were renovations underway and that can so often lead to a fire. Sparks from a saw or a cutting torch and 850 year old wooden roof beams and poof.

But the latest reports are saying the damage, while horrible, is not as bad as first feared. I am sure they will rebuild it. One of the first jobs I had out of school was rebuilding an old church which had burned down. Several orders of magnitude simpler than Notre Dame, true, but we still did it and the results were wonderful.

Lion in the Stars16 Apr 2019 4:16 a.m. PST

I'd like to add that it seems most of the stained glass survived, too!

Were I in France, I'd be contributing sweat equity to help rebuild (since I'm horribly broke).

Fanch du Leon16 Apr 2019 4:36 a.m. PST

Just like Gboue, except that i'm not a "real" Parisian and only studied and working here for only 35 years. I'm living 10 mns from Notre Dame and couldn't go to see it burning live. My grand mother was there when Général de Gaulle reviewed,the FFi and FFFL liberating the city from nazi Occupation and entered the cathedral for a Te Deum, before Notre Dame rang its bells for its new freedom. She told me that story dozen times with tears in her eyes. First time i'm glad she's not here anymore.
Money to re-build won't be a problem. Many UE states will help, the cathedral is recorded in the UNESCO heritage, and i bet that the public funding will be an overwhelming success.

Fanch du Leon16 Apr 2019 4:40 a.m. PST

Oh, and forgive me, very touched by your demand pbishob12. It lightens my grief too.

shadoe0116 Apr 2019 4:57 a.m. PST

Very sad. It will certainly be rebuilt but it will unlikely be the same. It's doubtful that they'll be able to rebuild the roof and capture the wonderful acoustics for which it was renown.

von Winterfeldt16 Apr 2019 5:07 a.m. PST

what a terrible thing to happen, very sad indeed, fortunately I did visit Notre Dame cathedral several times.

Footslogger16 Apr 2019 5:44 a.m. PST

Those of us who know York Minster, which had a bad fire in its south transept in the 1980s, know just how good a restoration job can be done.

It just takes time, money, and great craftsmanship.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP16 Apr 2019 7:06 a.m. PST

Latest news indeed seems much more encouraging. Interior affected less than might have been feared. Far worse than York Minster fire though.

It is always during renovation work. I can almost see what Trump meant when he asked "What is that about?" last night. Windsor Castle fire, York Minster, Cutty Sark and probably many more.

Take a very old building with a timbered roof. Clad it in steel scaffolding, which will not and did not burn, then cover that with timber platforms to walk on. Layers upon layers of timber, nicely spaced apart to allow the strong breeze last night to really fan the flames. This just keeps happening.

The suggestion now is that the firefighters showed incredible courage, by actually entering the building, well ablaze, and probably saved much of the interior. One is described as seriously injured.

Old Wolfman16 Apr 2019 7:20 a.m. PST

Last I read,2 police officers and a firefighter were injured;thankfully,no fatalities. Glad there's already plans to rebuild.If able,I would nominate for the Legion D'Honneur, those courageous firefighters and police.

Personal logo Patrick R Supporting Member of TMP16 Apr 2019 7:46 a.m. PST

A huge shoutout to the Brigade des Sapeurs Pompiers de Paris, a formidable firefighting corps made up of some the best trained firemen in the world, they will march with heads raised coming July 14th under rapturous applause.

Oppiedog16 Apr 2019 9:38 a.m. PST

Jean-Marc Fournier, truly a grenadier of the first rank.

Musketballs16 Apr 2019 12:08 p.m. PST

Take a very old building with a timbered roof. Clad it in steel scaffolding, which will not and did not burn, then cover that with timber platforms to walk on. Layers upon layers of timber, nicely spaced apart to allow the strong breeze last night to really fan the flames. This just keeps happening.

St Petersburg all over again…

Although the Russians did find a helicopter to be pretty useful.

forrester16 Apr 2019 1:59 p.m. PST

It's nasty to look at, but being positive it can be restored.
I was reminded that the spire that fell is 19th century, as are other parts,and what has been replaced in fairly recent times can be replaced again so without wanting to play it dowm many of the treasures,the organs, and the bell towers and stone walls are still there.
Ive seen the first photos of the inside and having seen the dramatic news coverage and all the flames it's almost a relief to see what seems untouched.

Personal logo McLaddie Supporting Member of TMP16 Apr 2019 4:21 p.m. PST

They have raised--or folks have already voluntarily donated--$300M for the restoration. One good thing is that because of the renovations that were going on, a lot of the art and statues had been removed already.

Pages: 1 2