Help support TMP

"Perry plastic US Infantry." Topic

32 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 28mm WWII Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

1,659 hits since 14 Mar 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Fred Cartwright14 Mar 2019 4:07 p.m. PST

There is an ad in the current WSS magazine for the plastic Perry US infantry, priced £20.00 GBP for the box. Not showing on the website yet, but I am hoping this means they are out soon. £20.00 GBP for a box of 36 figures is very good value.

Personal logo Herkybird Supporting Member of TMP14 Mar 2019 4:21 p.m. PST

Whoo, looking forward to those!

Perry Miniatures Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Mar 2019 4:46 p.m. PST

Hello both, actually the box will the contain 42 figures, enough to represent a full strength platoon of three squads plus HQ. There are also two additional Browning .30 cals for extra support, should you need them. As well as all the Garands and BARs you need there are a variety of optional weapons like M1 Carbines, Thompsons, Springfields with grenade launcher and Springfield with scope, Grease guns, and the M1A1 Bazooka. All wear the 2nd pattern 'Parsons' jacket, although disliked by the GI, were worn from Operation Torch, Tunisia, Sicily, the landings in Italy and Normandy through to the end of the war by some units.
There are quite a few first shots of the figures on our Facebook page. They'll be out on the 6th April at Salute and then on general release straight after.

repaint14 Mar 2019 5:15 p.m. PST

Ace, the brothers!

Looking forward to the set.

Fred Cartwright14 Mar 2019 5:31 p.m. PST

42 figures! Even better value. I have seen the pictures and the figures look lovely.

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP14 Mar 2019 5:52 p.m. PST

Anyone know how they'll compare to other 28mm minis for heft?

Also, have they released other WWII ranges already?

I didn't know they make WWII figs.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP14 Mar 2019 6:03 p.m. PST

It is good to see that they are modelled with hands and one arm already attached to most weapons. Makes for much better poses.

Fred Cartwright14 Mar 2019 6:39 p.m. PST

Anyone know how they'll compare to other 28mm minis for heft?

Perry match Foundry, Offensive Miniatures and Empress well. Less chunky than Warlord, Crusader, Artizan, BTD and Heer 46.
They have plastic 8th Army and Afrika Korps boxes and metal figures for Afrika Korps, including FJ, Italians and 8th Army, plus guns and vehicles.

Puster Supporting Member of TMP15 Mar 2019 1:22 a.m. PST

have they released other WWII ranges already?

link

The Perrys until know concentrate on North Africa, with two plastic boxes and, of course, plenty of splendid metals and a cooperation with a company producing vehicles and guns.

donlowry15 Mar 2019 8:20 a.m. PST

Oh, 28s. Too bad.

Fred Cartwright15 Mar 2019 8:48 a.m. PST

Oh, 28s. Too bad.

No just right. The Perry's don't demean themselves with lesser scales! :-)

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP16 Mar 2019 1:11 a.m. PST

Thank you for the replies and info.

Griefbringer17 Mar 2019 3:59 a.m. PST

Regarding the scale issues, Perrys WWII range tends to be 1/56 – this may not be stated very explicitely on the website, but it is clearly mentioned in some of the vehicle descriptions.

Fred Cartwright17 Mar 2019 10:12 a.m. PST

Perrys WWII range tends to be 1/56 this may not be stated very explicitely on the website, but it is clearly mentioned in some of the vehicle descriptions.

So are everyone else's apart from 1st Corps whose vehicles are 1/48. Although the figures certainly look chunky compared to the Warlord vehicles. The Perry crew figures fit 1/56 vehicles much better than the Warlord ones do.

PeterH22 Mar 2019 7:52 p.m. PST

man i wish this company did 20mm!

Fred Cartwright07 Apr 2019 10:19 a.m. PST

Picked up a box of these at Salute yesterday. Very pleased with them. Well proportioned, plenty of choices of body and arms will make it easy to create a unique looking force. The future for less heroic 28mm figures seems very bright.

Trajanus08 Apr 2019 10:11 a.m. PST

Got some on Saturday too.

Great choice of weapon possiblites and unless I've misjudged things, on a hasty first assessment, everything is there to make a Chain of Command standard US Infantry Platoon. You even get a couple of "handie talkies"

Much higher standard than the Warlord equivalents and better value at £20.00 GBP for 42 figures rather than £27.00 GBP for 30!

Griefbringer09 Apr 2019 3:39 a.m. PST

Perrys have already released their first metal pack to go with these plastics: 60 mm mortar with four crew members.

Four boxes of plastics and three mortar packs should be enough to provide something close to a full strength infantry company.

Andy ONeill09 Apr 2019 7:54 a.m. PST

@PeterH

The Perrys did Foundry's 20mm ww2 range.
link

MiniPigs In the TMP Dawghouse13 Apr 2019 11:37 a.m. PST

Seems like Perrys WW2 range is not available right now?

Fred Cartwright13 Apr 2019 1:18 p.m. PST

Seems like Perrys WW2 range is not available right now?

Are you referring to the 20mm range the Perry's did for Foundry? If so they are available.
link
You will notice that some of the packs have only 1 pose. That is because the figures were originally sold as singles and only 1 pose was made for that particular figure.
If it was the 28mm figures they are on the Perry Miniatures website. Don't be fooled when it says there are no products in this category you have to click on the individual countries on the menu down the left side of the screen.

MiniPigs In the TMP Dawghouse13 Apr 2019 2:24 p.m. PST

@Fred Cartwright

Im referring to their metal ww2 range in 28mm: link

It says: There are no products available in this category

Griefbringer14 Apr 2019 6:34 a.m. PST

MiniPigs, the page that you linked just contained links to the sub-categories. Seems that there is something messed up with it at the moment.

However, all of these categories and their contents are accessible if you do as Fred Cartwright said and click on the nationalities (French, British, Italian etc.) on the left side navigation menu.

For example clicking on the United States will take you to:

link

Fred Cartwright14 Apr 2019 6:49 a.m. PST

It says: There are no products available in this category

Ignore that. On the left hand side there is a menu. Under WW2 there is a list of countries. French, United States, British, Italian. German and Blitzkrieg Vehicles. Click on those and it takes to the listing of products for each category.

Colbourne6629 Apr 2019 2:07 a.m. PST

Painted examples of the new Perry GI's up on my Blog:

https://leadpoet.blogspot.com

MiniPigs In the TMP Dawghouse08 May 2019 11:25 a.m. PST

Nicely done.

But, I hates plastics!

Seems most UK sculpted 28mm American troops are plastic. Are the British sending us a message?

Fred Cartwright08 May 2019 1:56 p.m. PST

But, I hates plastics!

Each to their own, but your loss. Perry sculpts are streets ahead of a lot of the metal figures out there.

Seems most UK sculpted 28mm American troops are plastic.

Whatever gave you that idea? Warlord and Perry do plastics, but Offensive, Empress, Artizan and Crusader all do ranges in metal.

captaincold6908 May 2019 3:52 p.m. PST

I can't stand resin or metal in anything larger than 15mm. Tom heavy, bulky and I find the detail lacks (in most things)

MiniPigs In the TMP Dawghouse17 May 2019 10:53 a.m. PST

@Fred Cartwright

Irony is not well absorbed on this Board. But I suppose it's a good thing because Ive learned about some nice new products here. Thank you.

I didn't see any American WW2 sculpts on Offensive Miniatures site.

Didnt know about the Empress figures. How do they scale up next to Perry?

Artizan and Crusader. It's funny because as much as I like their WW2 Germans and British, I am not crazy about their Americans, plus each range seems too small somehow and I admit I am not entirely sure why I feel that way.

I suppose the same scarcity could be said about metal British 8th Army figures, there doesnt seem to be a lot of variety. Am I wrong about this? Is there a treasure trove of 8th Army 28mms in shorts somewhere?

Fred Cartwright17 May 2019 12:33 p.m. PST

Didnt know about the Empress figures. How do they scale up next to Perry?

Very well. Realistically proportioned figures and very nice sculpts.

I didn't see any American WW2 sculpts on Offensive Miniatures site.

There is an extensive range of US airborne. They still count as Americans AFAIK.

I suppose the same scarcity could be said about metal British 8th Army figures, there doesnt seem to be a lot of variety.

Metal 8th Army can be had from BTD, Gaddis Gaming and Artizan Designs. There may be others I don't know about.

MiniPigs In the TMP Dawghouse17 May 2019 1:09 p.m. PST

I couldnt find 8th Army from BTD but the Cammandos will do in a pinch for Desert raiders, so that's a good recommendation.

US Paras are Americans but theyre not Classic US Infantry and that's what I was talking about. Frankly, I want the Infantry as they appear in North Africa and Italy which is why I was lamenting the plastic infantry from both Perry and Warlord. Especially Perry because they're whole WW2 range is sort of Mediterranean themed.

I didnt see 8th Army at Gaddis Gaming either which is OK because I dont care for the sculpting style.

Yes, Artizan has 8th Army and I bought em all but there arent enough in shorts and helmets. You know, classic 8th Army :)

Most makers make US infantry in D-Day and after gear or in great coats.

Fred Cartwright17 May 2019 9:39 p.m. PST

Well the Perry US are in the M1941 Parsons field jacket and canvas gaiters so about as classic US infantry as you can get. Should do you for Torch all the way through to post Normandy. Unless you want them in shirt sleeve order, but photos of the landings show a lot of troops in field jackets.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.